Preparation of reusable bioreactors using reversible immobilization of enzyme on monolithic porous polymer support with attached gold nanoparticles
Article first published online: 21 AUG 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 111, Issue 1, pages 50–58, January 2014
How to Cite
Lv, Y., Lin, Z., Tan, T. and Svec, F. (2014), Preparation of reusable bioreactors using reversible immobilization of enzyme on monolithic porous polymer support with attached gold nanoparticles. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 111: 50–58. doi: 10.1002/bit.25005
- Issue published online: 22 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 21 AUG 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 JUL 2013 11:16PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 APR 2013
- NIH. Grant Number: GM48364
- 973 programs. Grant Number: (2013CB733600, 2007CB714300, 2011CB710805, and 2007CB714302-2)
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 863 programs (2006AA020102 and 2007AA10040)
- Beijing Educational Committee Joint Construction
- 2011. Pipette-tip selective extraction of glycoproteins with lectin modified gold nano-particles on a polymer monolithic phase. Analyst 136:2619–2628. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Production of biodiesel: Possibilities and challenges review paper. Biofuels Bioprod Bioref 1:57–66. .
- 1997. Immobilization and characterization of porcine pancreas lipase. Enzyme Microb Tech 20:531–535. , , .
- 2004. Monolithic micro-immobilized-enzyme reactor with human recombinant acetylcholinesterase for on-line inhibition studies. J Chromatogr A 1031:27–34. , , .
- 2000. Glucose oxidase release from calcium alginate gel capsules. Enzyme Microb Technol 27:319–324. , , .
- 2009. Advances in enzyme immobilization. Biotechnol Lett 31:1639–1650. , .
- 2010. Polymer monoliths with exchangeable chemistries: Use of gold nanoparticles as intermediate ligands for capillary columns with varying surface functionalities. Anal Chem 82:7416–7421. , , , , .
- 2010. High-capacity gold nanoparticle functionalised polymer monoliths. Chem Commun 46:2109–2111. , , .
- 1981. Porcine pancreatic lipase. Completion of the primary structure. Biochim Biophys Acta 671:129–138. , , , , , .
- 2012. Modulating enzymatic activity in the presence of gold nanoparticles. RSC Adv 2:4736–4745. , , .
- 2011. Potential of different enzyme immobilization strategies to improve enzyme performance. Adv Synth Catal 353:2885–2904. , , , .
- 2007. Monolithic columns in high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 1168:101–168. .
- 1999. Capillary columns with in situ formed porous monolithic packing for micro high-performance liquid chromatography and capillary electrochromatography. J Chromatogr A 855:273–290. , , .
- 2011. Control of protein immobilization: Coupling immobilization and site-directed mutagenesis to improve biocatalyst or biosensor performance. Enzyme Microb Tech 48:107–122. , .
- 2013. Enzyme stabilization by nano/microsized hybrid materials. Eng Life Sci 13:49–61. , .
- 2008. Production of biodiesel using immobilized lipase—A critical review. Crit Rev Biotechnol 28:253–264. , , , , .
- 2001. Application of monoliths as supports for affinity chromatography and fast enzymatic conversion. J Biochem Bioph Methods 49:153–174. , .
- 2009. Application of a lipase-immobilized silica monolith bioreactor to the production of fatty acid methyl esters. J Mol Catal B Enzym 57:194–197. , , , .
- 2001. Enzymes for chemical synthesis. Nature 409:232–240. , .
- 2009. Highly efficient enzyme reactors containing trypsin and endoproteinase LysC immobilized on porous polymer monolith coupled to MS suitable for analysis of antibodies. Anal Chem 81:2004–2012. , , .
- 2007. Photopatterning enzymes on polymer monoliths in microfluidic devices for steady-state kinetic analysis and spatially separated multi-enzyme reactions. Anal Chem 79:6592–6598. , , , , .
- 2012a. Preparation of porous polymer monoliths featuring enhanced surface coverage with gold nanoparticles. J Chromatogr A 1261:121–128. , , , .
- 2012b. “ Thiol-ene” click chemistry: A facile and versatile route for the functionalization of porous polymer monoliths. Analyst 137:4114–4118. , , .
- 2012c. Hypercrosslinked large surface area porous polymer monoliths for hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography of small molecules featuring zwitterionic functionalities attached to gold nanoparticles held in layered structure. Anal Chem 84:8457–8460. , , .
- 2011. Efficient proteolysis using a regenerable metal-ion chelate immobilized enzyme reactor supported on organic-inorganic hybrid silica monolith. Proteomics 11:991–995. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Affinity monolith chromatography. J Sep Sci 29:1686–1704. , .
- 2007. Improvement of enzyme activity, stability and selectivity via immobilization techniques. Enzyme Microb Tech 40:1451–1463. , , , , .
- 2012. Properties and biotechnological applications of porcine pancreatic lipase. J Mol Catal B Enzym 78:119–134. , , .
- 1975. Immobilized enzymes for industrial reactors. New York: Academic Press. .
- 1916. Adsorption of invertase. J Am Chem Soc 38:1109–1115. , .
- 2010. Production of aroma esters by immobilized Candida rugosa and porcine pancreatic lipase into calcium alginate gel. J Mol Catal B Enzym 64:140–145. , .
- 2012. Isoamylacetate production by entrapped and covalently bound Candida rugosa and porcine pancreatic lipases. Food Chem 135:2326–2332. , .
- 2005. A monolithic PNGase F enzyme microreactor enabling glycan mass mapping of glycoproteins by mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 19:1730–1738. , .
- 1994. Synthesis of polymeric microcapsule arrays and their use for enzyme immobilization. Nature 369:298–301. , .
- 1996. Immobilization of trypsin onto “molded” macroporous poly(glycidyl methacrylate-co-ethylene dimethacrylate) rods and use of the conjugates as bioreactors and for affinity chromatography. Biotechnol Bioeng 49:355–363. , , .
- 2006. Covalent enzyme immobilization onto photopolymerized highly porous monoliths. Adv Mater 18:1822–1826. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Coupling chemical modification and immobilization to improve the catalytic performance of enzymes. Adv Synth Catal 353:2216–2238. , , .
- 2001. Industrial biocatalysis today and tomorrow. Nature 409:258–268. , , , , , .
- 1998. Lipase: Interfacial enzymes with attractive applications. Angew Chem Int Ed 37:1609–1633. , .
- 2010. A capillary monolithic trypsin reactor for efficient protein digestion in online and offline coupling to ESI and MALDI mass spectrometry. Anal Chem 82:1434–1443. , .
- 2010. A continuous bioreactor prepared via the immobilization of trypsin on aldehyde-functionalized, ring-opening metathesis polymerization-derived monoliths. Macromolecules 43:9601–9607. , .
- 2006a. Less common applications of monoliths: Preconcentration and solid-phase extraction. J Chromatogr B 841:52–64. .
- 2006b. Less common applications of monoliths: I. Microscale protein mapping with proteolytic enzymes immobilized on monolithic supports. Electrophoresis 27:947–961. .
- 1992. Continuous rods of macroporous polymer as high-performance liquid chromatography separation media. Anal Chem 64:820–822. , .
- 1996. New designs of macroporous polymers and supports: From separation to biocatalysis. Science 273:205–211. , .
- 1999. Immobilized enzymes: Methods and applications. Top Curr Chem 200:95–126. , .
- 2008. Characterization of polymer-based monolithic capillary columns by inverse size-exclusion chromatography and mercury-intrusion porosimetry. J Chromatogr A 1182:161–168. , , , .
- 2012. A monolithic lipase reactor for biodiesel production by transesterification of triacylglycerides into fatty acid methyl esters. Biotechnol Bioeng 109:371–380. , , .
- 2008. Biodiesel production-current state of the art and challenges. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 35:421–430. , .
- 2010. A review on FAME production processes. Fuel 89:1–9. , , .
- 2012. Preparing a metal-ion chelated immobilized enzyme reactor based on the polyacrylamide monolith grafted with polyethylenimine for a facile regeneration and high throughput tryptic digestion in proteomics. Anal Bioanal Chem 402:703–710. , , , , , .
- 1999. Design of reactive porous polymer supports for high throughput bioreactors: Poly(2-vinyl-4,4-dimethylazlactone-co-acrylamide-co-ethylene dimethacrylate) monoliths. Biotechnol Bioeng 62:30–35. , , .
- 2010. Porous polymer monolithic column with surface-bound gold nanoparticles for the capture and separation of cysteine-containing peptides. Anal Chem 82:3352–3358. , , , .
- 1988. The effect of water on enzyme action in organic media. J Biol Chem 263:8017–8021. , .
- 2011. Mesoporous organosilicas with large cage-like pores for high efficiency immobilization of enzymes. Adv Mater 23:2627–2632. , , , , .