This article was published online on 6 September 2013. Subsequently, it was determined that an error had been made in the Acknowledgments, and the correction was published on 13 September 2013.
Cell-free protein expression based on extracts from CHO cells
Version of Record online: 6 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Biotechnology and Bioengineering Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 111, Issue 1, pages 25–36, January 2014
How to Cite
Brödel, A. K., Sonnabend, A. and Kubick, S. (2014), Cell-free protein expression based on extracts from CHO cells. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 111: 25–36. doi: 10.1002/bit.25013
- Issue online: 22 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 SEP 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 AUG 2013 06:01AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 8 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 2013
- German Ministry of Education and Research. Grant Number: 0312039
- 1999. On the frequency of protein glycosylation, as deduced from analysis of the SWISS-PROT database. Biochim Biophys Acta 1473(1):4–8. , , .
- 1975. Transfer of proteins across membranes. II. Reconstitution of functional rough microsomes from heterologous components. J Cell Biol 67(3):852–862. , .
- 2013. Functional evaluation of candidate ice structuring proteins using cell-free expression systems. J Biotechnol 163(3):301–310. , , , , .
- 2012. Cell-free protein synthesis: Applications come of age. Biotechnol Adv 30(5):1185–1194. , , , .
- 2005. Factor-independent assembly of elongation-competent ribosomes by an internal ribosome entry site located in an RNA virus that infects penaeid shrimp. J Virol 79(2):677–683. , .
- 1983. Translation of eukaryotic messenger RNA in cell-free extracts. Hames BD, Higgins SJ, editors. Transcription and translation: A practical approach. Oxford, UK: IRL Press. p 231–270. .
- 2006. Cell-free protein synthesis system prepared from insect cells by freeze-thawing. Biotechnology Progress 22(6):1570–1577. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Molecular mechanisms of translational control. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 5(10):827–835. , .
- 2004. Structural variant of the intergenic internal ribosome entry site elements in dicistroviruses and computational search for their counterparts. RNA 10(5):779–786. , , , .
- 2004. Roles of N-linked glycans in the endoplasmic reticulum. Annu Rev Biochem 73(1):1019–1049. , .
- 2000. The pathway and mechanism of initiation of protein synthesis. In: Sonenberg N, Hershey JWB, Mathews MB, editors. Translational control of gene expression. Cold Spring Harbor, New York (USA): Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 33–88. , .
- 2011. In vivo functional analysis of the Dicistroviridae intergenic region internal ribosome entry sites. Nucleic Acids Res 39(16):7276–7288. , .
- 2013. Optimized extract preparation methods and reaction conditions for improved yeast cell-free protein synthesis. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 110(10):2643–2654. , .
- 1991. Potassium salts influence the fidelity of mRNA translation initiation in rabbit reticulocyte lysates: Unique features of encephalomyocarditis virus RNA translation. Biochim Biophys Acta 1088(3):345–358. .
- 2006. Divergent IRES elements in invertebrates. Virus Res 119(1):16–28. .
- 2010. Modular domains of the Dicistroviridae intergenic internal ribosome entry site. RNA 16(6):1182–1195. , .
- 2009. Conserved element of the dicistrovirus IGR IRES that mimics an E-site tRNA/ribosome interaction mediates multiple functions. J Mol Biol 387(1):42–58. , , .
- 2007. Recombinant protein therapeutics from CHO cells—20 years and counting. Chem Eng Prog 103:40–47. , , , .
- 1998. Recent advances in producing and selecting functional proteins by using cell-free translation. Curr Opin Biotechnol 9(5):534–548. , , .
- 2007. An improved cell-free system for picornavirus synthesis. J Virol Methods 142(1–2):182–188. , , , .
- 2011. Cell-free RNA replication systems based on a human cell extracts-derived in vitro translation system with the Encephalomyocarditis virus RNA. J Biochem. , , , , .
- 2013. Purification and visualization of Encephalomyocarditis virus synthesized by an in vitro protein expression system derived from mammalian cell extract. Biotechnol Lett 35(3):309–314. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Thermostabilization of firefly luciferase by in vivo directed evolution. Protein Eng Des Sel 24(11):835–844. , .
- 2003. In vitro translation in an insect-based cell-free system. In: Swartz JR (Ed.). Cell-free protein expression. Berlin, Heidelberg (Germany), New York (USA): Springer p 209–217. , , , , , .
- 2009. In vitro synthesis of posttranslationally modified membrane proteins. In: Larry D, editor. Current Topics in Membranes, Chapter 2, Vol. 63, USA: Academic Press, p 25–49. , , , , .
- 1974. Translation of mRNA from simian virus 40-infected cells into simian virus 40 capsid protein by cell-free extracts. J Virol 13(3):590–595. , , .
- 1972. Translation of reovirus messenger RNAs synthesized in vitro into reovirus polypeptides by several mammalian cell-free extracts. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 69(9):2649–2653. , , , .
- 2006a. A hybridoma-based in vitro translation system that efficiently synthesizes glycoproteins. J Biotechnol 127(1):65–78. , , , .
- 2006b. An efficient mammalian cell-free translation system supplemented with translation factors. Protein Expr Purif 46(2):348–357. , , , , .
- 2008. A human cell-derived in vitro coupled transcription/translation system optimized for production of recombinant proteins. Protein Expr Purif 62(2):190–198. , , , , .
- 2010. Cell-free protein synthesis systems with extracts from cultured human cells. Methods Mol Biol 607:43–52. , , .
- 2003. Translation elongation after assembly of ribosomes on the Cricket paralysis virus internal ribosomal entry site without initiation factors or initiator tRNA. Genes Dev 17(2):181–186. , .
- 2007. Conservation and diversity among the three-dimensional folds of the Dicistroviridae intergenic region IRESes. J Mol Biol 370(5):856–869. , , .
- 2005. Translation initiation by factor-independent binding of eukaryotic ribosomes to internal ribosomal entry sites. C R Biol 328(7):589–605. , , .
- 1975. Small changes in energy charge affect protein synthesis in reticulocyte lysates. FEBS Lett 58(1):99–101. , .
- 2012. Synthesis of membrane proteins in eukaryotic cell-free systems. Eng Life Sci 13(1):39–48. , , , , , .
- 2000. Construction of an efficient expression vector for coupled transcription/translation in a wheat germ cell-free system. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 44(1):9–10. , , , , .
- 2004. Cell-free synthesis of polypeptides lacking an amino-terminal methionine by using a dicistroviral intergenic internal ribosome entry site. J Biochem 136(5):601–606. , , .
- 2004. High-throughput cell-free systems for synthesis of functionally active proteins. Trends Biotechnol 22(10):538–545. .
- 2012. Production of functional antibody fragments in a vesicle-based eukaryotic cell-free translation system. J Biotechnol 164(2):220–231. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Cell-free systems: Functional modules for synthetic and chemical biology. Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol. Springer Berlin, Heidelberg (Germany), Epub ahead of print. , , , , .,
- 2009. Universal cell-free protein synthesis. Nat Biotechnol 27(8):731–732. .
- 1983. Preparation of microsomal membranes for co-translational protein translocation. Methods Enzymol 96:84–93. , .
- 2000a. Initiation of protein synthesis from the A site of the ribosome. Cell 102(4):511–520. , , , .
- 2000b. Naturally occurring dicistronic Cricket paralysis virus RNA is regulated by two internal ribosome entry sites. Mol Cell Biol 20(14):4990–4999. , , , .
- 2008. An efficient in vitro translation system from mammalian cells lacking the translational inhibition caused by eIF2 phosphorylation. RNA 14(3):593–602. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Protein folding in the endoplasmic reticulum and the unfolded protein response. In: Starke K, Gaestel M, editors. Molecular Chaperones in Health and Disease. Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer. p 69–91. , .