Ultra scale-down characterization of the impact of conditioning methods for harvested cell broths on clarification by continuous centrifugation—Recovery of domain antibodies from rec E. coli
Article first published online: 28 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Biotechnology and Bioengineering Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 111, Issue 5, pages 913–924, May 2014
How to Cite
Chatel, A., Kumpalume, P. and Hoare, M. (2014), Ultra scale-down characterization of the impact of conditioning methods for harvested cell broths on clarification by continuous centrifugation—Recovery of domain antibodies from rec E. coli. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 111: 913–924. doi: 10.1002/bit.25164
- Issue published online: 26 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 28 DEC 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 27 NOV 2013 07:54AM EST
- Manuscript Revised: 19 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 AUG 2013
- The authors are pleased to acknowledge financial support of Alex Chatel by EPSRC IDTC and by GSK
- 1959. The theory of scaling up laboratory data for the sedimentation type centrifuge. J Biochem Microbiol Technol Eng 1(2):185–205. .
- 2004. Production technologies for monoclonal antibodies and their fragments. Curr Opin Biotechnol 15(5):456–462. , .
- 2008. Improving permeate flux and product transmission in the microfiltration of a bacterial cell suspension by flocculation with cationic polyelectrolytes. J Membr Sci 324(1–2):198–208. , , , .
- 1997. Crossflow microfiltration of recombinant Escherichia coli lysates after high pressure homogenization. Biotechnol Bioeng 56(3):304–310. , .
- 1995. Growth and buoyant density of Escherichia coli at very low osmolarities. J Bacteriol 177(1):235–237. , , , , .
- 1982. Shear disruption of soya protein precipitate particles and the effect of aging in a stirred tank. Biotechnol Bioeng 24(6):1271–1285. , .
- 1982. The density of protein precipitates and its effect on centrifugal sedimentation. Biotechnol Bioeng 24(1):127–141. , , , .
- 2008. Ultra scale-down to define and improve the relationship between flocculation and disc-stack centrifugation. Biotechnol Prog 24(2):426–431. , , .
- 2000. Laboratory scaledown of protein purification processes involving fractional precipitation and centrifugal recovery. Biotechnol Bioeng 69:1–10. , , , , .
- 2001. Characterization of flow intensity in continuous centrifuges for the development of laboratory mimics. Chem Eng Sci 56:4759–4770. , , , , , .
- 2004. Performance prediction of industrial centrifuges using scale-down models. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 26(6):385–391. , , , , , .
- 2002. Influence of shear on particle size and fractal dimension of whey protein precipitates: Implications for scale-up and centrifugal clarification efficiency. Chem Eng Sci 57(18):3767–3779. , , , .
- 2006. Ultra scale-down studies of the effect of flow and impact conditions during E. coli cell processing. Biotechnol Bioeng 95(4):671–683. , , , .
- 2003. Biophysical properties of human antibody variable domains. J Mol Biol 325(3):531–553. , , , .
- 2008. Thermodynamically stable aggregation-resistant antibody domains through directed evolution. J Mol Biol 376(4):926–931. , , , .
- 1970. Microbial cell recovery enhancement through flocculation. Biotechnol Bioeng 12(6):873–887. , .
- 1997. Factors affecting the fermentative production of a lysozyme-binding antibody fragment in Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Bioeng 53(6):611–622. , , , , , .
- 1982. Disruption of protein precipitates during shear in Couette flow and in pumps. Ind Eng Chem Fund 21(4):402–406. , , , , , .
- 2003. Domain antibodies: Proteins for therapy. Trends Biotechnol 21(11):484–490. , , , , .
- 2006. Shear stress analysis of mammalian cell suspensions for prediction of industrial centrifugation and its verification. Biotechnol Bioeng 95(3):483–491. , , , , .
- 2004. Aggregation-resistant domain antibodies selected on phage by heat denaturation. Nat Biotechnol 22(9):1161–1165. , , , .
- 2010. Modeling shear-induced CHO cell damage in a rotary positive displacement pump. Biotechnol Prog 26(6):1606–1615. , , .
- 2013. An ultra scale-down characterization of low shear stress primary recovery stages to enhance selectivity of fusion protein recovery from its molecular variants. Biotechnol Bioeng 110(7):1973–1983. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Fabrication and use of a transient contractional flow device to quantify the sensitivity of mammalian and insect cells to hydrodynamic forces. Biotechnol Bioeng 80(4):428–437. , , .
- 2010. Mimic of a large-scale diafiltration process by using ultra scale-down rotating disc filter. Biotechnol Prog 26(2):466–476. , , , , , .
- 1992. The scale-down of an industrial disk stack centrifuge. Bioprocess Eng 8(1–2):19–25. , .
- 1998. The performance of a scaled down industrial disc stack centrifuge with a reduced feed material requirement. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 18(3):191–199. , , , , .
- 2000. The use of laboratory centrifugation studies to predict performance of industrial machines: Studies of shear-insensitive and shear-sensitive materials. Biotechnol Bioeng 67(3):265–273. , , .
- 2009. Ultra scale-down studies of the effect of shear on cell quality; Processing of a human cell line for cancer vaccine therapy. Biotechnol Prog 25(5):1448–1458. , , .
- 1990. Selective flocculation of nucleic acids, lipids, and colloidal particles from a yeast cell homogenate by polyethyleneimine, and its scale-up. Enzyme Microb Technol 12(7):527–532. , , , .
- 1997. Disrupting the hydrophobic patches at the antibody variable/constant domain interface: Improved in vivo folding and physical characterization of an engineered scFv fragment. Protein Eng 10(4):435–444. , , , .
- 2010. Rapid whole monoclonal antibody analysis by mass spectrometry: An ultra scale-down study of the effect of harvesting by centrifugation on the post-translational modification profile. Biotechnol Bioeng 107(1):85–95. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Scale-down of continuous filtration for rapid bioprocess design: Recovery and dewatering of protein precipitate suspensions. Biotechnol Bioeng 83(4):454–464. , , , , , .
- 2002. Chemical engineering Vol. 2—Particle technology and separation processes, 5th edn. Oxford, UK: Elsevier; p 240. , , .
- 2012. Creation of the large and highly functional synthetic repertoire of human VH and Vκ domain antibodies. In: Saerens D, Muyldermans S, editors. Single domain antibodies. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. p 39–63. , , , , , .
- 1995. Selective flocculation of cellular contaminants from soluble proteins using polyethyleneimine: A study of several organisms and polymer molecular weights. Enzyme Microb Technol 17(2):107–113. , , , , .
- 2009. Ultra scale-down prediction using microwell technology of the industrial scale clarification characteristics by centrifugation of mammalian cell broths. Biotechnol Bioeng 104(2):321–331. , , , .
- 2006. Improving solubility and refolding efficiency of human VHs by a novel mutational approach. Protein Eng Design Sel 19(11):503–509. , , , , , .
- 1977. The mechanism of E. coli aggregation by polyethyleneimine. J Colloid Interface Sci 60(2):258–273. , .
- 2007. Adapted ultra scale-down approach for predicting the centrifugal separation behavior of high cell density cultures. Biotechnol Prog 23:1404–1410. , , , , , , , .
- 1970. Collection of microbial cells. Advances in applied microbiology. New York: Academic Press. p 121–152. , , .
- 2009. Ultra scale-down approaches for clarification of mammalian cell culture broths in disc-stack centrifuges. Biotechnol Prog 25(6):1709–1716. , , .
- 2007. Prediction of shear damage of plasmid DNA in pump and centrifuge operations using an ultra scale-down device. Biotechnol Prog 23(4):858–865. , , , , , .