Ileus: The restoration of alimentary-tract motility by pharmacological means
Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2005
Copyright © 1971 British Journal of Surgery Society Ltd.
British Journal of Surgery
Volume 58, Issue 1, pages 21–28, January 1971
How to Cite
Neely, J. and Catchpole, B. (1971), Ileus: The restoration of alimentary-tract motility by pharmacological means. Br J Surg, 58: 21–28. doi: 10.1002/bjs.1800580104
- Issue online: 7 DEC 2005
- Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2005
- 1The nature of ileus and the clinical problem it poses are discussed.
- 2A consideration of the previous multiplicity of treatments is presented.
- 3The concepts behind the present mode of treatment are outlined. This consists of removing the sympathetic inhibition of the alimentary tract in the condition and potentiating or supplementing tone.
- 4Case histories are presented to illustrate the use of the drugs suggested, and the indications for therapy are discussed.
- 5The mistaken concept that the gut is “paralysed” in ileus should be finally abandoned.