The thalidomide case study was prepared with Nicole Bennett with support from the Pew Charitable Trusts Foundation. The Olestra and anthrax case studies were prepared with support from the Committee to Aid Faculty Research at Providence College.
Content and conflict: The use of current events to teach content in a biochemistry course*
Version of Record online: 3 NOV 2006
Copyright © 2003 International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Inc.
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
Volume 31, Issue 3, pages 173–176, May 2003
How to Cite
Cornely, K. (2003), Content and conflict: The use of current events to teach content in a biochemistry course. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ., 31: 173–176. doi: 10.1002/bmb.2003.494031030214
- Issue online: 3 NOV 2006
- Version of Record online: 3 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 17 JAN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 23 DEC 2002
- 1Description of the goals of the feature column “Teaching with Problems and Case Studies,” edited by Grant Krow and Kim Kostka, in the Journal of Chemical Education: jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/AboutJCE/Features/TPCS/index.html.
- 2Journal of College Science Teaching monthly column, edited by Clyde F. Herreid, on the case study method: www.nsta.org/college.
- 3Conference program for PBL 2002, an international conference on problem-based learning sponsored by the University of Delaware and the Institute for Transforming Undergraduate Education held in June 2002 in Baltimore, MD: www.udel.edu/ce/pbl2002/.
- 4Information on annual conferences and workshops on the teaching of case studies sponsored by The University at Buffalo: ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/case.html.
- 5The University at Buffalo Case Study Collection: ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/ubcase.htm.
- 6Collection of problems from the University of Delaware's PBL Clearinghouse (registration by instructors is required): www.mis4.udel.edu/Pbl/.
- 81996) Directed case study method for teaching human anatomy and physiology, Adv. Physiol. Educ. 270, 19–28., (
- 9The Scientist: www.the_scientist.com/.
- 101999) Cases in Biochemistry, John Wiley & Sons, New York.(
- 122001) Alzheimer's disease under scrutiny: short newspaper articles as a case study tool, J. Coll. Sci. Teach. 31, 57–60.(
- 13Sample problems from the University of Delaware's PBL Clearinghouse: www.udel.edu/pbl/problems/.
- 142002) Chemistry by the case: integrated case teaching and team learning, J. Coll. Sci. Teach. 32, 36–41.(
- 152000) Not your ordinary lab day: Internet chemistry: a do-it-yourself kit?, J. Coll. Sci. Teach. 30, 44–47., (
- 161999) Avogadro goes to court: the price to pay for calculating the cost of a single aluminum atom, J. Coll. Sci. Teach. 29, 81–84., (
- 171998) The benign hamburger: teaching the nuclear science behind food irradiation, J. Coll. Sci. Teach. 28, 21–24., , (
- 191994) Case studies in science—a novel method of science education, J. Coll. Sci. Teach. 24, 221–229.(
- 221996) Freedom from fat?, E Magazine 7, 42–43.(
- 24The New York Times: www.nytimes.com.
- 25National Public Radio: www.npr.org.
- 26National Public Radio program Talk of the Nation's Science Friday: www.sciencefriday.com/.
- 27Public Broadcasting System: www.pbs.org/.
- 28Science News: www.sciencenews.org/.
- 29Scientific American: www.sciam.com.