This article is based upon work supported by National Science Foundation Grant DUE-9550791. This is Journal Article No. 03-7 of the University of Nebraska College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources.
Facilitating student understanding of buffering by an integration of mathematics and chemical concepts†
Article first published online: 3 NOV 2006
Copyright © 2004 International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Inc.
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
Volume 32, Issue 2, pages 71–77, March 2004
How to Cite
Curtright, R., Emry, R., Heaton, R. M. and Markwell, J. (2004), Facilitating student understanding of buffering by an integration of mathematics and chemical concepts. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ., 32: 71–77. doi: 10.1002/bmb.2004.494032020314
- Issue published online: 3 NOV 2006
- Article first published online: 3 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 15 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUL 2003
- 11999) Linking mathematics and physics via a classroom demonstration, PRIMUS 9, 97–106., (
- 31997) Distribution diagram for weak acids HA to H4A, jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/JCEWWW/Features/WebWare/WWeg4/Sheets/alphanew.xls.(
- 41997) Acid-base titration curves, jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/JCEWWW/Features/WebWare/WWeg4/Sheets/titrate1a.xls.(
- 111995) Biochemistry, 2nd Ed, John Wiley and Sons, New York., (
- 122002) Concepts in Biochemistry, 2nd Ed, Brooks/Cole, Pacific Grove, CA.(
- 132002) Principles of Biochemistry, 3rd Ed, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ., , , , (
- 141999) Biochemistry, 2nd Ed, Saunders College Publishing, Orlando., (
- 152002) Medical Biochemistry, 4th Ed, Harcourt/Academic Press, San Diego.(
- 161999) Biochemistry: An Introduction, 2nd Ed, McGraw-Hill, Boston., (
- 172003) Biochemistry, 4th Ed, Thompson, Toronto., (
- 182001) Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2nd Ed, Oxford Press, New York., (
- 192002) Textbook of Biochemistry with Clinical Correlations, 5th Ed, Wiley-Liss, New York.(
- 221922) On the measurement of buffer values and on the relationship of buffer value to the dissociation constant of the buffer and the concentration and reaction of the buffer solution, J. Biol. Chem. 52, 525–570.(
- 231966) Biological Chemistry, Harper & Row, New York., (
- 241996) in The Road to Excellence: The Acquisition of Expert Performance in the Arts, Science and Games (K. A.Ericsson, ed) pp. 1–50, Lawrence Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ.(
- 251990) in The Student Laboratory and the Science Curriculum (E.Hegarty-Hazel, ed) pp. 75–94, Routledge, London.(
- 26National Research Council (2002) BIO2010: Transforming Undergraduate Education for Future Research Biologists, National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 271983) The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, Graphics Press, Cheshire, CT.(
- 281993) Rethinking University Teaching. A Framework for the Effective Use of Educational Technology, Routledge, London.(
- 291999) Cognitive Psychology and Instruction, Merrill, Upper Saddle River, NJ., , (
- 311999) Instructional Design in Technical Areas, ACER Press, Camberwell, Australia.(
- 32National Research Council (1996) National Science Education Standards, National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 33National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (2000) Principles and Standards of School Mathematics, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Reston, VA.