Tel.: 302-831-2908; Fax: 302-831-6335
Pedagogies of engagement in science†
A comparison of PBL, POGIL, and PLTL‡
Article first published online: 24 JUL 2008
Copyright © 2008 International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Inc.
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
Volume 36, Issue 4, pages 262–273, July/August 2008
How to Cite
Eberlein, T., Kampmeier, J., Minderhout, V., Moog, R. S., Platt, T., Varma-Nelson, P. and White, H. B. (2008), Pedagogies of engagement in science. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ., 36: 262–273. doi: 10.1002/bmb.20204
This effort originated from an evening discussion among T.E., R.M., H.B.W., and others at the MADCP (Middle Atlantic Discovery Chemistry Project) Meeting in 2004 at George Washington University, which was continued at the MADCP Meeting at Washington College, Chestertown, MD, in 2007. All of the authors, listed alphabetically, have contributed substantively to the preparation of this manuscript.
This work is supported by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education's Fund for the Improvement for Post-Secondary Education (FIPSE) grant P116B40949. We thank several funding sources for their initial and continuing support of our efforts spanning more than a decade. These include National Science Foundation (NSF) grants 9354606, 9620082, 9653203, 9653663, FIPSE P116B60737, and HHMI 520030062, 52003754, and 52005898 for PBL projects; NSF grants 0231120, 0618746, 0618758, 0618800, and 0717392 for the POGIL Project, and NSF grants 9455920, 9972457, and 0231349 for the Workshop Chemistry Project.
- Issue published online: 24 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 24 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 31 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 10 OCT 2007
- 1National Research Council( 2000) How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School, National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 22001) The many forms of constructivism. J. Chem. Educ. 78, 1107. [Featured in the online symposium, Piaget, Constructivism, and Beyond: http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/Journal/Issues/2001/Aug/. Accessed August 2007.], , (
- 5UD PBL: Problem-Based Learning, Available at http://www.udel.edu/pbl/. Accessed January 2008.
- 61980) Problem-based Learning: An Approach to Medical Education. Springer Publishing, New York.(
- 7B. J.Duch,S. E.Groh,D. E.Allen, Eds.( 2001) The Power of Problem-Based Learning: A Practical “How To” for Undergraduate Courses in Any Discipline, Stylus, Sterling, VA.
- 8L-AWilkerson,W. H.Gijselaers, Eds.( 1996) Bringing Problem-Based Learning to Higher Education: Theory and Practice, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- 91994) Problem-Based Learning: How to Gain the Most from PBL, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont.(
- 112001) Why does my cruorine change color? J. Coll. Sci. Teaching 31, 106–111.(
- 122007) Stimulating attitudes of inquiry with problem-based learning, in K. K.Karukstis,T. E.Elgren, Eds. Designing, Implementing, and Sustaining a Research-Supportive Undergraduate Curriculum, Council on Undergraduate Research, Washington, DC, pp. 9–19.(
- 13Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning, Available at http://www.pogil.org/. Accessed October 2007.
- 141995) Science Teaching and the Development of Thinking, Wadsworth, Belmont, CA.(
- 15N. J.Pienta,M. M.Cooper,T. J.Greenbowe, Eds.( 2005) Chemists' Guide to Effective Teaching, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, Chap. 4., in
- 17Science Curriculum Improvement Study, Chicago, R and McNally 1970–1974.
- 201997) Designing effective group activities: Lessons for classroom teaching and faculty development. To Improve the Academy 16, 373–397., , (
- 21L. K.Michaelsen,A. B.Knight,L.D.Fink, Eds.( 2005) Team-Based Learning: A Transformative Use of Small Groups in College Teaching, Stylus, Sterling, VA.
- 22The POGIL Project, Curriculum Materials, Laboratory. Available at http://www.pogil.org/materials/labs.php. Accessed January 2008.
- 242003) Modern Projects in Organic Chemistry: Miniscale and Standard Taper Microscale, W. H. Freeman, New York., , , (
- 251999) Operational Organic Chemistry: A Problem-Solving Approach to the Laboratory Course, 3rd ed., Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.(
- 262008) POGIL in chemistry courses at a large urban university: A case study, in R. S.Moog,J. N.Spencer, Eds., Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC., (
- 272008) POGIL implementation in large classes, in R. S.Moog,J. N.Spencer, Eds., Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC., , , , , (
- 28Welcome to the PLTL Page! Available at http://www.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/∼chemwksp/. Accessed May 2008.
- 292001) Peer-Led Team Learning: A Guidebook, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ., , , , , (
- 312003) The death of problem-based learning? J. Coll. Sci. Teach. 32, 364–366.(
- 321991) The Challenge of Problem Based Learning, Kogan Page, London., (
- 332004) Foundations of Problem-based Learning, Open University Press, Berkshire, UK., (
- 341938) Experience and Education, Collier and Kappa Delta Pi, New York.(
- 351966) The Psychology of Intelligence, Littlefield, Adams, Totawa, NJ.(
- 362000) Vygotsky's zone of proximal development: A theory base for peer-led team learning, Progressions: Peer-Led Team Learning 1, 2 (winter), 3. Available at www.pltl.org.(
- 371978) Mind in Society: The Development of Higher Psychological Processes, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. (Originally published 1930, Oxford University Press, New York).(
- 401991) Active Learning: Cooperation in the College Classroom, Interaction Book, Edina, MN., , ,(
- 411964) Six Psychological Studies, Vintage, New York.,(
- 42Science Curriculum Improvement Study, Chicago: Rand McNally 1970–1974.
- 442008) Facilitation: The role of the instructor, in R. S.Moog,J. N.Spencer, Eds., Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC., (
- 452001) Undergraduate group facilitators to meet the challenges of managing multiple PBL groups, in B. J.Duch,S. E.Groh,D. E., Stylus, Eds., The Power of Problem-based Learning: A Practical “How To” For Teaching Undergraduate Courses in Any Discipline, Allen, Sterling, VA. pp. 79–94, ,(
- 481998) Thinking Toward Solutions: Problem-Based Learning Activities for General Biology, Saunders, Fort Worth, TX., (
- 49Problem-Based Learning Clearinghouse. Available at https://chico.nss.udel.edu/Pbl/. Accessed October 2007.
- 502006) Peer–Led Team Learning: General Chemistry, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ., , (
- 512006) Peer-Led Team Learning: Organic Chemistry, 2nd ed.(student edition), Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ., , (
- 522001) Peer-Led Team Learning: General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ., (
- 532006) Chemistry: Structure and Dynamics, 3rd ed., Wiley, New York., , (
- 542008) Chemistry: A Guided Inquiry, 4th ed., Wiley, New York., (
- 552006) Foundations of Chemistry: Applying POGIL Principles, Pacific Crest, Lisle, IL.(
- 562004) Organic Chemistry: A Guided Inquiry, Houghton Mifflin, Boston.(
- 572004) Physical Chemistry, A Guided Inquiry: Atoms, Molecules, and Spectroscopy, Houghton Mifflin, Boston., , (
- 582004) Physical Chemistry, A Guided Inquiry: Thermodynamics, Houghton Mifflin, Boston., , (
- 592007) General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry: A Guided Inquiry, Wiley, New York.(
- 602008) Introductory Chemistry Modules: A Guided Inquiry Approach, Preliminary Edition, Houghton Mifflin, Boston., , (
- 61Spring 2003 CONFCHEM, Non-Traditional Teaching Methods: Paper 7, Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning. Available at http://www.ched-ccce.org/confchem/2003/a/. Accessed August 2007.
- 622003) Creating Significant Learning Experiences: An Integrated Approach to Designing College Courses, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA.(
- 652006) Experiments in Molecular Cell Biology: A Problems Book with Multiple-Choice Question-Based Tests, Schenk Verlag, Passau.(
- 662003) Multiple-choice questions-a reprieve, Biosci. Educ. E-journal, 2http://www.bioscience.heacademy.ac.uk/journal/vol2/beej-2-6.htm (Accessed May 2008).(
- 671997) Untimed individual/group exams, problem-based learning, in S.Tobias,J.Raphael, Eds., The Hidden Curriculum: Faculty-Made Tests, in Science, Part 2, Upper-Division Courses, Plenum, New York, NY, pp. 102–103.,(
- 682005) A White Paper for Facilitating POGIL Activities in Large Classes. Available at http://www.pogil.org/resources/assessment.php. Accessed August 2007., , , , , (
- 692001) Problem-based learning in large and very large classes, in B. J.Duch,S. E.Groh,D. E.Allen, Eds., The Power of Problem-Based Learning: A Practical “How To” for Undergraduate Courses in Any Discipline, Stylus Publishing, Sterling, VA, pp. 149–163., (
- 702006) Radical Change in Large-Scale Instruction. Available at www.fipse.aed.org/grantshow.cfm?grantNumber=P116B060026&printGrant=yes. Accessed October 2007.(
- 71Active and Cooperative Learning. Available at www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/Cooperative_Learning.html. Accessed October 2007.
- 73The POGIL Project, Studies of POGIL Student Learning Outcomes. Available at www.pogil.org/effectiveness/. Accessed August 2007.
- 78Peer-Led Team Learning, Research & Evaluation, Comparing the Performance of Groups of Students with and without PLTL Workshops. Available at www.pltl.org. Accessed August 2007.
- 822007) Challenges and rewards of offering peer-led team learning in a large general chemistry course. Aust. J. Educ. Chem. 67, 31–35., , (
- 832005) Measuring the effects of peer-led team learning. Progressions 6, 3–4. Available at www.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/˜chemwksp/newsletter.html. Accessed August 2007., (
- 842005) Evaluation of student learning in a PLTL classroom. Progressions 6, 6. Available at www.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/˜chemwksp/newsletter.html. Accessed August 2007.(
- 862002) Myths about assessing the impact of problem-based learning on students. J. Gen. Educ. 51, 326–334.(
- 872003) A Pilot Systematic Review and Meta-analysis on the Effectiveness of Problem-Based Learning. Available at www.ltsn-01.ac.uk/docs/pbl_report.pdf. Accessed October 2007.(
- 882007) Bridging the educational research-teaching gap: the importance of bridging the gap between science education research and its application in biochemistry teaching and learning barriers and strategies. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ. 35, 465–470.(
- 911995) We never said it would be easy. Chem. Engr. Educ. 29, 32–33 (Winter).(
- 922007) The many faces of inductive teaching and learning. J. Coll. Sci. Teach. 34, 14–20., (
- 932001). Peer-Led Team Learning: A Handbook for Team leaders, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ., , ,(
- 95R. S.Moog,J. N.Spencer, Eds.( 2008) Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC.
- 962007) Process oriented guided inquiry learning: POGIL and the POGIL project. Metropolitan Univ. J. 17, 41–51., , , , (
- 971990) They're Not Dumb, They're Different, Research Corporation, Tucson, AZ.(
- 981997) Talking about Leaving: Why Undergraduates Leave Science, Westview Press, Boulder, CO., (
- 992001) The workshop project: Peer-led team learning in chemistry. in J. E.Miller,J. E.Groccia,M.Miller, Eds., Student-Assisted Teaching: A Guide to Faculty-Student Teamwork. Anker, Bolton, MA. pp. 150–155., , , , , , (
- 1002001) Peer facilitators of in-class groups: adapting problem-based learning to the undergraduate setting, in J. E.Miller,J. E.Groccia,M.Miller, Eds., Student-Assisted Teaching: A Guide to Faculty-Student Teamwork, Anker, Bolton, MA. pp. 134–139, (
- 1012002) What happens next? A follow-up study of workshop leaders at St. Xavier. Progressions: Peer-Led Team Learning 3(2, winter), 1 (www.pltl.org)., (
- 1022008) A multi-institutional assessment of the use of POGIL in Organic Chemistry, in R. S.Moog,J. N.Spencer, Eds., Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning, Oxford University Press, New York. pp. 226–239., (
- 103Student Assessment of Learning Gains (SALG) survey. Available at www.wcer.wisc.edu/salgains/instuctor. Accessed September 2007.
- 1062001) Beyond Affirmative Action: Reframing the Context of Higher Education, University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, WI, pp. 43–78.(
- 108Other Problem-Based Learning or Related Sites. Available at www.udel.edu/pbl/others.html. Accessed October 2007.
- 109Peer-Led Team Learning, Upcoming Events. Available at www.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/˜chemwksp/events.html. Accessed August 2007.
- 110Process-Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning, Upcoming Events. Available at www.pogil.org/events/upcoming.php. Accessed September 2007.