Tel.: 803-323-4991; Fax: 803-323-2246
Article first published online: 28 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
Volume 39, Issue 2, pages 110–116, March/April 2011
How to Cite
Sumter, T. F. and Owens, P. M. (2011), An approach to teaching general chemistry II that highlights the interdisciplinary nature of science. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ., 39: 110–116. doi: 10.1002/bmb.20465
A portion of this work was presented at the 2009 ASBMB Student-Centered Education in Molecular Life Sciences Meeting
This work is supported by grants from the National Science Foundation (MCB055810542242), the National Institutes for Health National Center for Research Resources (P20RR-16461), and the National Institutes for Health National Cancer Institute (1R15CA137520-01).
- Issue published online: 28 MAR 2011
- Article first published online: 28 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 21 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Received: 12 JUL 2010
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: MCB055810542242
- National Institutes for Health National Center for Research Resources. Grant Number: P20RR-16461
- National Institutes for Health National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: 1R15CA137520-01
- 2American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (2009)The biochemistry/molecular biology major and liberal education: A report to the Teagle foundation,Liberal Education 95:6–10.
- 6National Research Council (2003)Bio 2010, Transforming Undergraduate Education for Future Research Biologists,National Academies Press,Washington, DC.
- 92001)Not so general chemistry.Chemical and Engineering News,July 30, 2001, p. 5(
- 142006)Problems of the general chemistry course and possible solutions: The 1-2-1 general/organic/general curriculum and its challenges.Chemistry15,86–99.(
- 17J. C.Kotz,P. M.Treichel,G.Weaver, Eds. (2006)Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity,Brooks/Cole Publishing Company, Florence, KY.
- 18G. L.Patrick, Ed. (2005)An Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry,Oxford University Press,Oxford, UK.
- 19University of California San Francisco Prologue Block: http:// biochemistry.ucsf.edu/programs/ptf/prologue.html.
- 201990)Acts of Meaning,Harvard University PressCambridge, MA.(