A University of Queensland Faculty of Science Teaching and Learning Grant
The concept lens diagram: A new mechanism for presenting biochemistry content in terms of “big ideas”†
Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
Volume 39, Issue 4, pages 267–279, July/August 2011
How to Cite
Rowland, S. L., Smith, C. A., Gillam, E. M. A. and Wright, T. (2011), The concept lens diagram: A new mechanism for presenting biochemistry content in terms of “big ideas”. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ., 39: 267–279. doi: 10.1002/bmb.20517
- Issue online: 19 JUL 2011
- Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 11 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Received: 18 DEC 2010
- University of Queensland Faculty of Science Teaching and Learning Grant
- 32002) Connexions: DSP education for a networked world, Proceedings of ICASSP ′02. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing. Pine Mountain, GA., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , (
- 52000) Talking About Leaving: Why Undergraduates Leave the Sciences, Westview Press, Colorado., (
- 6Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education. Available at:http://visionandchange.org.
- 71999) The Understanding by Design Handbook, Chapter 4, Module 4, Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development, Alexandra, VA. Available at:http://pdonline.ascd.org/pd_online/ubd_backward/mctighe99chapter4.html., (
- 10AAAS Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education Initiative( 2009) Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education: A Call to Action, AAAS, Washington, DC. Available at:http://visionandchange.org/files/2010/03/VC_report.pdf.
- 122005) Understanding by Design, Expanded 2nd ed., Pearson Education, New Jersey., (
- 13R. A. Duschl,H. A. Schweingruber,A. W. Shouse, Eds.( 2007) Taking Science to School: Learning and Teaching Science in Grades K-8, National Academy, Washington, DC.
- 152003) Implementing the American society for biochemistry and molecular biology recommended curriculum in a biochemistry and molecular biology degree program hosted jointly by a chemistry and biology department: The Richmond experience. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ. 31, 225–227.(
- 162003) Implementing the recommended curriculum in a biochemistry and molecular biology degree program in a biochemistry and molecular biology department: The Mississippi State Experience. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ. 31, 283–285.(
- 17The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology( 2010) Biochemistry/Molecular Biology and Liberal Education: A Report to the Teagle Foundation, The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Bethesda, MD. Available at: http://www.asbmb.org/CareersAndEducation.aspx?id=1562&terms=Teagle.
- 19Call to the Sixth Annual Northwest Regional Undergraduate Affiliate Network Meeting Undergraduate Research in the Molecular Sciences (URMS)( 2010). Available at: http://www.mnstate.edu/provost/ASBMB.html.
- 20Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary( 1913). Available at:http://machaut.uchicago.edu/websters.
- 212002) Concept-Based Curriculum and Instruction: Teaching Beyond the Facts, Corwin Press, California, p. 66.(
- 222008) A concept inventory for molecular life sciences: How will it help your teaching practice? Aust. Biochemist. 39, 14–17., , , , (
- 232008) Assessing student understanding in the molecular life sciences using a concept inventory, Australian Technology Network (ATN) Assessment Conference, University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia., (
- 241930) The Interpretation of Development and Heredity. A Study in Biological Method, The Clarendon Press, Oxford.(
- 272008) Clinical Biochemistry: Metabolic and Clinical Aspects, Elsevier Ltd, Philadelphia, p. 1., (
- 28K. L. Lerner,B. W. Lerner, Eds.( 2003) Biochemistry. World of Microbiology and Immunology, Gale Cengage,2003. eNotes.com. 2006. Accessed 30 Nov, 2010 Online:http://www.enotes.com/microbiology-encyclopedia/biochemistry.
- 30B. M. Hand, Ed.( 2008) Science Inquiry Argument and Language: A Case for the Science Writing Heuristic, Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, p. 139–150., , Instruction by Using the Writing Heuristic, in
- 31ACARA (Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority) Australian Curriculum Information Sheet. Science( 2010). Available at: http://www.acara.edu.au/verve/_resources/AC_SCIENCE_INFO_ Senior_Sec_v1_FINAL.pdf.