Tel.: 765-496-1574; Fax: 765-464-0239.
Students' understanding of external representations of the potassium ion channel protein, part I: Affordances and limitations of ribbon diagrams, vines, and hydrophobic/polar representations†
Article first published online: 5 SEP 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
Volume 40, Issue 6, pages 349–356, November/December 2012
How to Cite
Harle, M. and Towns, M. H. (2012), Students' understanding of external representations of the potassium ion channel protein, part I: Affordances and limitations of ribbon diagrams, vines, and hydrophobic/polar representations. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ., 40: 349–356. doi: 10.1002/bmb.20641
This work is supported by the National Science Foundation under Grants No. 073694.
- Issue published online: 19 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 5 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 23 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 MAY 2012
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 073694
- 7M. P. Peterson, in A. M. Ceachren,D. F. Taylor, Eds. ( 1994) Visualization in Modern Cartography, Pergamon, Oxford, pp. 27–43.
- 11C. De Duve, in B. S. C. Study, Ed. ( 1993) Developing Biological Literacy: a Guide to Developing Secondary and Post-Secondary Biology Curricula, Kendall/Hunt, Dubuque, IA, pp. 88–91.
- 13American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB). Retrieved January12, 2012, from http://www.asbmb.org/CareersAnd Education.
- 182002) Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods, 3rd ed., Thousand Oaks, Sage.(
- 19FirstGlance in Jmol, http://bioinformatics.org/firstglance/fgij/ (Accessed June 10, 2012).
- 20Jmol: an open-source Java viewer for chemical structures in 3D. http://www.jmol.org/ (Accessed June 10, 2012).
- 211998) Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory, 2nd ed., Thousand Oaks, Sage., (
- 221989) Educational Research: An introduction, 5th ed., Longman, New York, NY., (
- 251993) Learning to read graphics: some evidence that “seeing” an information display is an acquired skill. J.Visual Lang. Comput. 4, 55–70., (
- 26What does Keratin help with? http://www.innovateus.net/innopedia/what-does-keratin-help (accessed June 10, 2012).
- 27E. Von Glasersfeld, in C. Janvier, Ed. ( 1987) Problems of Representation in the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics, Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ, pp. 215–226.