Students' understanding of primary and secondary protein structure: Drawing secondary protein structure reveals student understanding better than simple recognition of structures
Version of Record online: 10 SEP 2013
© 2013 by The International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
Volume 41, Issue 6, pages 369–376, November/December 2013
How to Cite
Harle, M. and Towns, M. H. (2013), Students' understanding of primary and secondary protein structure: Drawing secondary protein structure reveals student understanding better than simple recognition of structures. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ., 41: 369–376. doi: 10.1002/bmb.20719
- Issue online: 21 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 MAY 2013
- National Science Foundation . Grant Number: 073694
- 3Von Glasersfeld. (1987) Preliminaries to any theory of representation. in Janvier, C. Ed. Problems of Representation in the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics, Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ, pp. 215–226.
- 4Curriculum recommended by ASBMB, American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB). Available at: http://www.asbmb.org/CareersAndEducation.aspx?id=432 (Accessed February 4, 2013).
- 62012) Students' understanding of external representations of the potassium ion channel protein, part I: Affordances and limitations of ribbon diagrams, vines, and hydrophobic/polar representations. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ. 40, 349–356.and (
- 82001) Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods, 3rd ed., Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks.(
- 9Livescribe: Never miss a word. Available at: http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/ (Accessed January, 2013).
- 102012) A novel technology to investigate students' understandings of enzyme representations. J. Coll. Sci. Teach. 42, 45–49.and (
- 11Anderson, L. W. and Krathwohl, D. R., Eds. (2001) A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching and assessing: A Revision of Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, Longman, New York.
- 151991). Mental models and reading comprehension. in Brown, R., Kamil, M. L., Mosenthal, P., Person, D. P., Eds. Hand Book of Reading Research, Vol. II, Longman, New York, pp. 490–511.and (
- 171998) Introduction. in van Someren, M. W., Reimann, P., Boshuizen, H. P. A., de Jong, T., Eds. Learning with Multiple Representations, Elsevier Science, Kidlington, Oxford.(
- 181998) Cooperative Learning for Higher Education Faculty, American Council on Education, Series on Higher Education, The Oryx Press, Phoenix, AZ.and (