Special Section: Innovative Laboratory Exercises—Focus on Laboratory Notebooks and Bioinformatics
Integrating standard operating procedures and industry notebook standards to evaluate students in laboratory courses
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2013
© 2013 by The International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
Volume 42, Issue 1, pages 41–49, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Wallert, M. A. and Provost, J. J. (2014), Integrating standard operating procedures and industry notebook standards to evaluate students in laboratory courses. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ., 42: 41–49. doi: 10.1002/bmb.20752
- Issue published online: 20 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 2013
- 1ASBMB Recommended Curriculum for Program in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Available at: http://www.asbmb.org/uploadedFiles/ProfessionalDevelopment/Resources/Curriculum_fnl_02.pdf.
- 22004) Implementing the recommended curriculum in biochemistry and molecular biology at a regional comprehensive university through a biology/chemistry double major: The minnesota state university moorhead experience. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Educ. 32, 146–150., , , and (
- 3Battelle/BIO State Bioscience Industry Development (2012). Available at: http://www.bio.org/articles/battellebio-state-bioscience-industry-development.
- 7Thomson, J. A., in Krattiger, A., Mahoney, R.T., Nelsen, L., Eds. (2007). How to Start—and Keep—a Laboratory Notebook: Policy and Practical Guidelines. In Intellectual Property Management in Health and Agricultural Innovation: A Handbook of Best Practice. Oxford, U.K., and PIPRA: Davis.
- 8Keeping a Lab Notebook: Basic Principles and Best Practices. Office of Intramural Training and Education, National Institutes of Health. Available at: https://www.training.nih.gov/assets/Lab_Notebook_508_%28new%29.pdf.
- 9E6 Good Clinical Practice: Consolidated Guidance. (1996) Available at: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/RegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM129515.pdf.
- 10Gimble, J. M. Ed. (2005) Academic to Biotechnology: Career Changes at Any Stage, Elsevier Academic Press.
- 11U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Inspections, Compliance, Enforcement, and Criminal Investigations. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/BioresearchMonitoring/ucm135220.htm.
- 12The Role of GLP in Preclinical Research. Available at: http://www.apredica.com/glp.php.
- 13Mutual Recognition of Pharmaceutical Good Manufacturing Practice Reports, Medical Device Quality Systems Audit Reports, and Certain Medical Device Product Evaluation Reports: United States and the European Community. Code of Federal Regulations title 21 Volume 1 Part 26.1.
- 14J. M. Juran and J. A. DeFeo, Eds. (2010) Juran's Quality Handbook: The Complete Guide to Performance Excellence, 6th ed. McGraw Hill.
- 15U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Quality System (QS) Regulation/Medical Device Good Manufacturing Practices. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/PostmarketRequirements/QualitySystemsRegulations/default.htm.