Gaze and viewing angle influence visual stabilization of upright posture
Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2011
©2011 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 19–25, September 2011
How to Cite
Ustinova, K.I. and Perkins, J. (2011), Gaze and viewing angle influence visual stabilization of upright posture. Brain and Behavior, 1: 19–25. doi: 10.1002/brb3.10
- Issue online: 29 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2011
- Received: 31 March 2011; Revised: 19 May 2011; Accepted: 27 May 2011.
- 1988. Eye-head coupling in humans. I. Simultaneous recording of isolated motor units in dorsal neck muscles and horizontal eye movements. Exp. Brain Res. 69:399–406. , , and .
- 1991. Eye–head coupling in humans. II. Phasic components. Exp. Brain Res. 84:359–366. , , and .
- 2005. Development of postural control in healthy children: a functional approach. Neural Plast. 12:109–118; discussion 263–272. , , , , and .
- 1999. Gaze direction modulates finger movement activation patterns in human cerebral cortex. J. Neurosci. 19:10044–10052. , , and .
- 2005. The functional role of central and peripheral vision in the control of posture. Hum. Mov. Sci. 24:689–709. , , and .
- 1975. Perception of linear horizontal self-motion induced by peripheral vision (linearvection) basic characteristics and visual-vestibular interactions. Exp. Brain Res. 23:471–489. , , and .
- 1973. Differential effects of central versus peripheral vision on egocentric and exocentric motion perception. Exp. Brain Res. 16:476–491. , , and .
- 2005. Does head extension and flexion increase postural instability in elderly subjects when visual information is kept constant? Gait Posture 21:59–64. , , , and .
- 2008. Gaze influences finger movement-related and visual-related activation across the human brain. Exp. Brain Res. 188:63–75. , , and .
- 2008. Vertical frames of reference and control of body orientation. Clin. Neurophysiol. 38:423–437. , , and .
- 2004. Visual responses of neck muscles reveal selective gating that prevents express saccades. Neuron 42:831–841. , , and .
- 2000. Eye position signal modulates a human parietal pointing region during memory-guided movements. J. Neurosci. 20:5835–5840. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Postural changes during eye-head movements. Prog. Brain Res. 171:335–338. , , and .
- 2001. Vertical gaze angle: absolute height-in-scene information for the programming of prehension. Exp. Brain Res. 136:379–385. , and .
- 1954. The visual perception of objective motion and subjective movement. Psychol. Rev. 61:304–314.
- 2006. Effects of distance and gaze position on postural stability in young and old subjects. Exp. Brain Res. 173:438–445. , and .
- 2009. Postural and spatial orientation driven by virtual reality. Stud. Health Technol. Inform. 145:209–228. , and .
- 2000. Postural stability using different neck positions in normal subjects and patients with neck trauma. ActaOto-Laryngol. 120:151–155. , , , and .
- 1975. Visual proprioceptive control of stance. J. Hum. Mov. Stud. 1:87–95. , and .
- 1993. Visual angle as a determinant of perceived interobject distance. Percept. Psychophys. 54:250–259. , and .
- Visual Processing of Moving Images. In: H. Barlow, C. Blakemore and M. Weston-Smith, editors. Images and understanding: thoughts about images, ideas about understanding. New York : Cambridge University Press; 1990:pp. 122–137.
- 1984. Visual stabilization of posture. Physiological stimulus characteristics and clinical aspects. Brain 107:1143–1163. , , and .
- 1989. Differential effects of retinal target displacement, changing size and changing disparity in the control of anterior/posterior and lateral body sway. Exp. Brain Res. 78:243–252. , , , and .
- 2009. Effect of visual field locus and oscillation frequencies on posture control in an ecological environment. J. Vis. 9:13.1–10. , , and .
- 1995. The effects of visual surround eccentricity and size on manual and postural control. J. Vestib. Res.: Equilib. Orient. 5:399–404. , and .
- 1991. Tracking with a restricted field of view: performance and eye-head coordination aspects. Aviat. Space Env. Med. 62:1026–1031. , and .
- 1993. Horizontal and vertical reading: a comparative investigation of eye movements. Ger. J. Ophthal. 2:251–255. , , and .
- 2007. Preferred viewing distance and screen angle of electronic paper displays. Appl. Ergon. 38:601–608. , and .
- 2001. Effects of computer monitor viewing angle and related factors on strain, performance, and preference outcomes. Human Factors 43:39–55. , , and .
- 2008. Motion sickness and postural sway in console video games. Hum. Factors 50:322–331. , , , , and .
- 1985. Flow structure versus retinal location in the optical control of stance. J. Exp. Psychol. Hum. Percept. Perform. 11:554–565.
- 1986. The role of optical velocity in the control of stance. Percept. Psychophys. 39:355–360.
- 1994. Dependence of visual stabilization of postural sway on the cortical magnification factor of restricted visual fields. Exp. Brain Res. 99:501–506. , , , and .
- 2001. Use of infrared TV cameras built into head-mounted display to measure torsional eye movements. Jap. J. Ophthalmol. 45:5–12. , , and .
- 2010. Effect of viewing angle on arm reaching while standing in a virtual environment: potential for virtual rehabilitation. Acta Psychol 133:180–190. , , , , and .
- 2006. Visual angle is the critical variable mediating gain-related effects in manual control. Exp. Brain Res. 173:742–750. , , and .
- 2005. Effects of head extension on undisturbed upright stance control in humans. Gait Posture 21:318–325. , and .
- 1995. Human balance and posture control during standing and walking. Gait Posture 3:193–214.