Funded by grants from the Fonds québécois de la recherche sur la société et la culture (FQRSC) (Dang Khoa Nguyen and Maryse Lassonde), the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) (Renée Béland), the Canada Research Chair (Maryse Lassonde). Also supported by scholarships from the Fondation de l'Hôpital Sainte-Justine et Fondation des Etoiles and the Fondation Desjardins (Dima Safi).
Functional near-infrared spectroscopy for the assessment of overt reading
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 825–837, November 2012
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2012; 2(6): 825–837
- Issue online: 9 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 16 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 JUN 2012
- Fonds québécois de la recherche sur la société et la culture (FQRSC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
- Canada Research Chair
- Fondation de l'Hôpital Sainte-Justine et Fondation des Étoiles
- Fondation Desjardins
- 2006. fMRI of ventral and dorsal processing streams in basic reading processes: insular sensitivity to phonology. Brain Topogr. 18:233–239. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Frontal activation and connectivity using near-infrared spectroscopy: verbal fluency language study. Brain Res. Bull. 84:197–205. , , , , and .
- 2002. Testing for dual brain processing routes in reading: a direct contrast of Chinese character and pinyin reading using fMRI. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 14:1088–1098. , , , , and .
- 2012. Functional near-infrared spectroscopy for the assessment of speech related tasks. Brain Lang. 121:90–109. , , and .
- 2005. Phonological decoding involves left posterior fusiform gyrus. Hum. Brain Mapp. 26:81–93. , , , , and .
- 1996. Measurement of cranial optical path length as a function of age using phase resolved near infrared spectroscopy. Pediatr. Res. 39:889–894. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Cortical activation during two verbal fluency tasks in schizophrenic patients and healthy controls as assessed by multi-channel near-infrared spectroscopy. Psychiatry Res. 156:1–13. , , , and .
- 1992. An MRI-based stereotactic atlas from 250 young normal subjects. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 18:408. , , and .
- 2007. Near-infrared spectroscopy as an alternative to the Wada test for language mapping in children, adults and special populations. Epileptic Disord. 9:241–255. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A non-invasive pre-surgical investigation of a 10 year-old epileptic boy using simultaneous EEG-NIRS. Seizure 17:576–582. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Toward noninvasive 3-D imaging of the time course of cortical activity: investigation of the depth of the event-related optical signal. Neuroimage 11:491–504. , , , , and .
- 2005. The role of the left Brodmann's areas 44 and 45 in reading words and pseudowords. Brain Res. Cogn. Brain Res. 25:982–993. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Differential activation of frontal and parietal regions during visual word recognition: an optical topography study. Neuroimage 40:1340–1349. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Simultaneous event-related potential and near-infrared spectroscopic studies of semantic processing. Hum. Brain Mapp. 22:110–115. , and .
- 1994. Non-synchronous behavior of neuronal activity, oxidative metabolism and blood supply during mental tasks in man. Neurosci. Lett. 172:129–133. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Near-infrared spectroscopy and cortical responses to speech production. Open Neuroimag. J. 3:26–30. , , and .
- 2009. HomER: a review of time-series analysis methods for near-infrared spectroscopy of the brain. Appl. Opt. 10:D280–D298. , , , and .
- 1958. Report of the Committee on methods of clinical examination in electroencephalography. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 10:370–371.
- 2004. Neural correlates of lexical and sublexical processes in reading. Brain Lang. 89:9–20. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Semantic processing of words in the aging brain: a near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) study. Brain Lang. 103:144–145. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Non-invasive assessment of language lateralization by transcranial near infrared optical topography and functional MRI. Hum. Brain Mapp. 16:183–189. , , , , and .
- 2008. Shining new light on the brain's “bilingual signature”: a functional near infrared spectroscopy investigation of semantic processing. Neuroimage 39:1457–1471. , , , and .
- 1967. P. 26 in Manuel du test de l'Alouette: test d'analyse de la lecture et de la dyslexie. Éditions du Centre de Psychologie Appliquée, Paris.
- 2008. Near-infrared spectroscopy study of language activated hyper- and hypo-oxygenation in human prefrontal cortex. Int. J. Neurosci. 118:657–666. , , , , and .
- 2009. Correlation of near-infrared spectroscopy and transcranial magnetic stimulation of the motor cortex in overt reading and musical tasks. Mot. Control 13:84–99. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The effects of presentation rate during word and pseudoword reading: a comparison of PET and fMRI. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 12(Suppl. 2):145–156. , , and .
- 2005. Dissociating reading processes on the basis of neuronal interactions. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 17:1753–1765. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Une base de données lexicales du français contemporain sur internet: LEXIQUE. L'année Psychol. 101:447–462. , , , and .
- 1971. The assessment and analysis of handedness: the Edinburgh inventory. Neuropsychologia 9:97–113.
- 2011. Refined analysis of complex language representations by non-invasive neuroimaging techniques. Br. J. Neurosurg. 25:197–202. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Language lateralization in individuals with callosal agenesis: an fMRI study. Neuropsychologia 49:1987–1995. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Language tasks used for the presurgical assessment of epileptic patients with MEG. Epileptic Disord. 12:97–108. , , , , and .
- 2012. A brief review on the use of functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) for language imaging studies in human newborns and adults. Brain Lang. 121:79–89. , , and .
- 1998. Language-activated cerebral blood oxygenation and hemodynamic changes of the left prefrontal cortex in poststroke aphasic patients: a near infrared spectroscopy study. Stroke 29:1299–1304. , , , , and .
- 2008. Inter-subject variability in the use of two different neuronal networks for reading aloud familiar words. Neuroimage 42:1226–1236. , , , , and .
- 2003. Factors affecting the accuracy of near-infrared spectroscopy concentration calculations for focal changes in oxygenation parameters. Neuroimage 18:865–879.
- 1997. Non-invasive optical spectroscopy and imaging of human brain function. Trends Neurosci. 20:435–442. , and .
- 1998. Non-invasive assessment of language dominance with near-infrared spectroscopic mapping. Neurosci. Lett. 256:49–52. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Determination of language dominance with near-infrared spectroscopy: comparison with the intracarotid amobarbital procedure. Seizure 13:399–402. , , , , and .
- 2002. Paradoxical correlation between signal in functional magnetic resonance imaging and deoxygenated haemoglobin content in capillaries: a new theoretical explanation. Phys. Med. Biol. 47:1121–1141. , and .
- 2006. Spatially filtered magnetoencephalographic analysis of cortical oscillatory changes in basic brain rhythms during the Japanese ‘Shirotiri’ word generation task. Neuropsychobiology 53:215–222. , , , , , , et al.