Sensory deprivation during early development causes an increased exploratory behavior in a whisker-dependent decision task
Article first published online: 29 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 1, pages 24–34, January 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2013; 3(1):24–34.
- Issue published online: 9 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 29 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 19 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 JUN 2012
- 2005. Variation in the cortical area map of C57BL/6J and DBA/2J inbred mice predicts strain identity. BMC Neurosci. 6:18. , , , , and .
- 1991. Thalamo-cortical processing of vibrissal information in the rat. II. Spatiotemporal convergence in the thalamic ventroposterior medial nucleus (VPm) and its relevance to generation of receptive fields of S1 cortical “barrel” neurones. J. Comp. Neurol. 303:211–224. , and .
- 1994. An innocuous bias in whisker use in adult rats modifies receptive fields of barrel cortex neurons. J. Neurosci. 14:6978–6991. , , and .
- 1991. Vibrissa-related behavior in mice: transient effect of ablation of the barrel cortex. Behav. Brain Res. 44:87–99. , , , and .
- 2008. Critical period plasticity of axonal arbors of layer 2/3 pyramidal neurons in rat somatosensory cortex: layer-specific reduction of projections into deprived cortical columns. Cereb. Cortex 18:1588–1603. , , , , and .
- 1996. Abnormal tactile experience early in life disrupts active touch. J. Neurosci. 16:2750–2757. , and .
- 2010. Somatosensory processing in neurodevelopmental disorders. J. Neurodev. Disord. 2:62–69.
- 2007. Sensory integration across space and in time for decision making in the somatosensory system of rodents. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:1395–1400. , and .
- 1993. Experience-dependent plasticity in adult rat barrel cortex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90:2082–2086. , , and .
- 1994. Laminar comparison of somatosensory cortical plasticity. Science 265:1885–1888. , , and .
- 1984. Effects of neonatal whisker lesions on mouse central trigeminal pathways. J. Comp. Neurol. 223:424–447. , and .
- 2005. Neural plasticity in adult somatic sensory-motor systems. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 2005. Map plasticity in somatosensory cortex. Science 310:810–815. , and .
- 2000. Sensory deprivation without competition yields modest alterations of short-term synaptic dynamics. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97:12864–12868. , and .
- 1999. Sensory experience modifies the short-term dynamics of neocortical synapses. Nature 400:367–371. , , and .
- 1992. A critical period for experience-dependent synaptic plasticity in rat barrel cortex. J. Neurosci. 12:1826–1838.
- 1996. Mechanisms underlying experience-dependent potentiation and depression of vibrissae responses in barrel cortex. J. Physiol. Paris 90:263–269. , , , , and .
- 2001. The expression of vesicular glutamate transporters defines two classes of excitatory synapse. Neuron 31:247–260. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Early bilateral sensory deprivation blocks the development of coincident discharge in rat barrel cortex. J. Neurosci. 29:2384–2392. , , , and .
- 1996. Time course of experience-dependent synaptic potentiation and depression in barrel cortex of adolescent rats. J. Neurophysiol. 75:1714–1729. , and .
- 1998. Long-term potentiation in vivo in layers II/III of rat barrel cortex. Neuropharmacology 37:581–592. , , , , and .
- 2000. The role of alpha-CaMKII autophosphorylation in neocortical experience-dependent plasticity. Nat. Neurosci. 3:911–918. , , , and .
- 1999. Distribution of tactile learning and its neural basis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96:7587–7591. , , and .
- 1986. The sensory contribution of a single vibrissa's cortical barrel. J. Neurophysiol. 56:1196–1223. , and .
- 2000. Whiskers, barrels, and cortical efferent pathways in gap crossing by rats. J. Neurophysiol. 84:1781–1789. , and .
- 2002. Complementary distribution of vesicular glutamate transporters in the central nervous system. Neurosci. Res. 42:243–250. , and .
- 1999. Neonatal whisker clipping alters intracortical, but not thalamocortical projections, in rat barrel cortex. J. Comp. Neurol. 412:83–94. , and .
- 1999. Sensory loss by selected whisker removal produces immediate disinhibition in the somatosensory cortex of behaving rats. J. Neurosci. 19:9117–9125. , , , and .
- 1998. Experience-dependent changes in function and anatomy of adult barrel cortex. Exp. Brain Res. 123:110–116.
- 2009. Experience-dependent increase in spine calcium evoked by backpropagating action potentials in layer 2/3 pyramidal neurons in rat somatosensory cortex. Eur. J. Neurosci. 30:1870–1877.
- 1985. Cytochrome oxidase staining in the rat SmI barrel cortex. J. Comp. Neurol. 238:225–235. , and .
- 2009. Neonatal whisker trimming causes long-lasting changes in structure and function of the somatosensory system. Exp. Neurol. 219:524–532. , , , and .
- 2000. Experience-dependent plasticity of dendritic spines in the developing rat barrel cortex in vivo. Nature 404:876–881. , , , and .
- 2006. Subbarrel patterns of thalamocortical innervation in rat somatosensory cortical barrels: organization and postnatal development. J. Comp. Neurol. 497:32–41. , , , , and .
- 2003. Experience-dependent plasticity is impaired in adult rat barrel cortex after whiskers are unused in early postnatal life. J. Neurosci. 23:358–366. , , and .
- 2000. Enhancement of cortical plasticity by behavioral training in acetylcholine-depleted adult rats. J. Neurophysiol. 84:1971–1981. , , , , and .
- 1993. Postsynaptic control of plasticity in developing somatosensory cortex. Nature 364:623–626. , , and .
- 2006. Effect of whisker removal on defensive behavior in rats during early ontogenesis. Neurosci. Behav. Physiol. 36:883–888.
- 2010. Effects of vibrissectomy during early postnatal ontogenesis in rat pups on behavioral development. Neurosci. Behav. Physiol. 40:671–677. , and .
- 2005. Whisker trimming begun at birth or on postnatal day 12 affects excitatory and inhibitory receptive fields of layer IV barrel neurons. J. Neurophysiol. 94:3987–3995. , , and .
- 1987. Early experience of tactile stimulation influences organization of somatic sensory cortex. Nature 326:694–697. , and .
- 1994. Neonatal whisker trimming produces greater effects in nondeprived than deprived thalamic barreloids. J. Neurophysiol. 72:1434–1437. , and .
- 1973. Somatosensory cortex: structural alterations following early injury to sense organs. Science 179:395–398. , and .
- 2008. Unsupervised whisker tracking in unrestrained behaving animals. J. Neurophysiol. 100:504–515. , , and .
- 1999. The effect of vibrissa deprivation pattern on the form of plasticity induced in rat barrel cortex. Somatosens. Mot. Res. 16:122–138. , and .
- 2008. Plasticity of representational maps in somatosensory cortex observed by in vivo voltage-sensitive dye imaging. Cereb. Cortex 18:1361–1373. , and .
- 2001. The role of cortical activity in experience-dependent potentiation and depression of sensory responses in rat barrel cortex. J. Neurosci. 21:3881–3894. , , , and .
- 2010. Experience-induced plasticity of thalamocortical axons in both juveniles and adults. J. Comp. Neurol. 518:4629–4648. , , , and .
- 1980. Histochemical changes in cytochrome oxidase of cortical barrels after vibrissal removal in neonatal and adult mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 77:2333–2337. , and .
- 1976. Areal changes in mouse cortical barrels following vibrissal damage at different postnatal ages. J. Comp. Neurol. 170:53–66. , and .