Neuroanatomical and neuropharmacological approaches to postictal antinociception-related prosencephalic neurons: the role of muscarinic and nicotinic cholinergic receptors
Article first published online: 5 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 286–301, May 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2013; 3(3):286–301.
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 5 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 3 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 7 JUN 2012
- FAPESP. Grant Numbers: 96/08574-9, 02/01496-5, 07/01174-1
- CAPES. Grant Numbers: AUX-PE-PNPD 2400/2009, 23038.027801/2009-37
- FAEPA. Grant Numbers: 03/05256-1, 537/1995, 70/2002, 08/03402-4, 04/14786-7
- CNPq. Grant Numbers: 304421/2007-3, 200629/2005-0
- 1996. Topographic distribution of dorsal and median raphe neurons with hipoccampal, septal and dual projection. Acta Biol. Hung. 47:9–19. , , , and .
- 1998. Mapping of neuronal networks underlying generalized seizures induced by increasing doses of pentylenetetrazol in the immature and adult rat: a c-Fos immunohistochemical study. Eur. J. Neurosci. 10:2094–2106. , , , , and .
- 1984. Endogenous pain control systems: brainstem spinal pathways and endorphin circuitry. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 7:309–338. , and .
- 2006. Imaging the neural substrates involved in the genesis of pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures. Epilepsia 47:745–754. , , , and .
- 1985. Role of the brain-stem reticular formation in tonic-clonic seizures: lesions and pharmacological studies. Fed. Proc. 44:2425–2431.
- 1986. Modification of electroshock and pentylenetetrazole seizure patterns in rats after precollicular transection. Exp. Neurol. 93:546–556. , and .
- 2006. Topographic and functional neuroanatomical study of GABAergic disinhibitory striatum-nigral inputs and inhibitory nigrocollicular pathways: neural hodology recruiting the substantia nigra, pars reticulata, for the modulation of the neural activity in the inferior colliculus involved with panic-like emotion. J. Chem. Neuroanat. 32:1–27. , , , , , and .
- 1992. The effects of anticonvulsivant drugs on convulsions triggered by direct stimulation of the brainstem. Neuropharmacology 21:355–359. , and .
- 1993. GABAergic nigro-colicular pathways modulate the defensive behavior elicited by midbrain tectum stimulation. Behav. Brain Res. 59:131–139. , and .
- 2001a. Post-ictal analgesia: involvement of opioid, serotoninergic and cholinergic mechanisms. Brain Res. 888:314–320. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001b. Opioid neurotransmission in the post-ictal analgesia: involvement of μ1-opioid receptor. Brain Res. 903:216–221. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Envolvimento dos circuitos colinérgicos do hipocampo dorsal e de vias opioides e serotoninérgicas do sistema endógeno de inibição de dor na analgesia pós-ictal (in Portuguese). [thesis], Ribeirão Preto Medical School of the University of São Paulo (USP), São Paulo, Brazil.
- 2004. Role of muscarinic and nicotinic cholinergic receptors in an experimental model of epilepsy-induced analgesia. Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 79:367–376. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Effects of cold-restraint and swim stress on convulsions induced by pentylenotetrazol and electroshock: influence of naloxone pretreatment. Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 40:297–300. , and .
- 2006. Involvement of 5-HT2 serotonergic receptors of the nucleus raphe magnus and nucleus reticularis gigantocellularis/paragigantocellularis complex neural networks in the antinociceptive phenomenon that follows the post-ictal immobility syndrome. Exp. Neurol. 201:144–153. , , , and .
- 2011. Acetylcholine-mediated neurotransmission within the nucleus raphe magnus exerts a key role in the organization of both interictal and postictal antinociception. Epilepsy Behav. 22:178–185. , , , , and .
- 2003. GABAergic systems modulate nicotinic receptor-mediated seizures in mice. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 306:1159–1166. , , , and .
- 2009. Role of the superior colliculus in the expression of acute and kindled audiogenic seizures in Wistar audiogenic rats. Epilepsia 50:2563–2574. , , , and .
- 2004. Comparative fos immunoreactivity in the brain after forebrain, brainstem, or combined seizures induced by electroshock, pentylenetetrazol, focally induced and audiogenic seizures in rats. Neurosci. 123:279–292. , , , and .
- 2002. Neuroanatomical and psychopharmacological evidence for interaction between opioid and GABAergic neural pathways in the modulation of fear and defense elicited by electrical and chemical stimulation of the deep layers of the superior colliculus and dorsal periaqueductal gray matter. Neuropharmacology 42:48–59. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011a. Paradoxical effect of noradrenaline-mediated neurotransmission in the antinociceptive phenomenon that accompanies tonic-clonic seizures: role of locus coeruleus and α2- and β-noradrenergic receptors. Epilepsy Res. 22:165–177. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011b. Effect of a nanostructured dendrimer-naloxonazine complex on endogenous opioid peptides μ1 receptor-mediated post-ictal antinociception. Nanomedicine 7:871–880. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Endogenous opioid peptide-mediated neurotransmission in central and pericentral nuclei of the inferior colliculus recruits μ1-opioid receptor to modulate post-ictal antinociception. Neuropetides 46:39–47. , , and .
- 2005. Neuroanatomic and psychoneuropharmacologic study of connections between the deep layers of the superior colliculus and locus coeruleus involved in control of the post-ictal analgesia. Int. J. Morphol. 23:79. , , and .
- 2008. Chelatable zinc modulates excitability and seizure duration in the amygdala rapid kindling model. Epilepsy Res. 79:166–172. , , , , and .
- 2005. Intrinsic neural circuits between dorsal midbrain neurons that control fear-induced responses and seizure activity and nuclei of the pain inhibitory system elaborating postictal antinociceptive processes: a functional neuroanatomical and neuropharmacological study. Exp. Neurol. 191:225–242. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Serotonergic neurotransmission in the dorsal raphe nucleus recruits in situ 5-HT2A/2C receptors to modulate the post-ictal antinociception. Exp. Neurol. 213:410–418. , , , and .
- 2009. 5-HT1A/1B, 5-HT6, and 5-HT7 serotonergic receptors recruitment in tonic-clonic seizure-induced antinociception: role of dorsal raphe nucleus. Exp. Neurol. 217:16–24. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Limbic epileptogenicity, cell loss and axonal reorganization induced by audiogenic and amygdala kinbdling in Wistar audiogenic rats (WAR strain). Neurosci. 125:787–802. , , and .
- 2002. A critical review on the participation of inferior colliculus in acoustic-motor and acoustic-limbic networks involved in the expression of acute and kindled audiogenic seizures. Hear. Res. 168:208–222.
- 1969. A permanent change in brain function resulting from daily electrical stimulation. Exp. Neurol. 25:295–330. , , and .
- 2009. Cholinergic mechanism involved in the nociceptive modulation of dentate gyrus. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 379:975–979. , , , , and .
- 1991. Antinociception and behavioral changes induced by carbachol microinjected into identified sites of the rat brain. Brain Res. 549:9–18. , and .
- 1982. Identification of serotonin and non-serotonin-containing neurons of the mid-brain raphe projecting to the entorhinal area and the hippocampal formation. A combined immunohistochemical and fluorescent retrograde tracing study in the rat brain. Neuroscience. 7:951–975. , and .
- 1984. Local cobalt injection: a method to discriminate presynaptic from postsynaptic neural activity. J. Neurosci. Methods 11:129–135.
- 2007. Effect of carbenoxolone on expression of Fos, NMDAR2 and GFAP in the hippocampus of pentylenetetrazole-kindled epileptic rats. Zhonguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi 9:465–468. , , , , , , et al.
- 1967. Confirmation from choline acetylase analyses of a massive cholinergic innervation to the rat hippocampus. J. Physiol. 191:215–224. , , and .
- 2011. The effect of acetylcholine on pain-related electric activities in the hippocampal CA3 of rats. J. Neural Transm. 118:555–561. , , , , , , et al.
- 1974. Influence of some limbic structures upon somatic and autonomic manifestations of pain. Physiol. Behav. 12:805–811. , , and .
- 2012. Modulatory role of glutamic acid on the electrical activities of pain-related neurons in the hippocampal CA3 region. Neurosci. Lett. 513:67–71. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Seizures evoked from area tempestas are subject to control by GABA and glutamate receptors in substantia nigra. Exp. Neurol. 105:184–188. , and .
- 2001. Blocking NMDA receptors in the hippocampal dentate gyrus with AP5 produces analgesia in the formalin pain test. Exp. Neurol. 172:92–99. , and .
- 2003. Pentylenetetrazol-induced seizures in immature rats provoke long-term changes in adult hippocampal cholinergic excitability. Epilepsia 44:507–517. , , , , , and .
- 1969. Studies on the central antinociceptive action of catecholamimetic agents. Int. J. Neuropharmacol. 8:423–425. , , , and .
- 1984. Interruption of the mammillothalamic tract prevents seizures in guinea pigs. Science 226:72–74. , and .
- 1997. GABAA antagonist and nicotine-induced antinociception. Pharmacol. Lett. 61:221–225. , , and .
- 1966. Injection of solutions into cerebral tissue: relation between volume and diffusion. Physiol. Behav. 1:171–174.
- 1985. The septo-hippocampal projection: a model cholinergic pathway. Trends Neurosci. 8:533–536.
- 1997. The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates. Academic Press, New York. , and .
- 2007. The functional organization of the barrel cortex. Neuron 56:330–355.
- 2004. Involvement of prolactin, vasopressin and opioids in post-ictal antinociception induced by electroshock in rats. Brain Res. 1003:1–8. , , , and .
- 1985. An assessment of the antinociceptive and aversive effects of stimulating identified sites in the rat brain. Brain Res. 340:219–228. , and .
- 1972. Modification of seizure activity by electrical stimulation. II. Motor seizure. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 32:281–294.
- 2005. Functional and ultrastructural neuroanatomy of interactive intratectal/tectonigral mesencephalic opioid inhibitory links and nigrotectal GABAergic pathways: involvement of GABAA and μ1- opioid receptors in the modulation of panic-like reactions elicited by electrical stimulation of the dorsal midbrain. J. Chem. Neuroanat. 30:184–200. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Behavioral effects of bicuculline microinjection in the dorsal versus ventral hippocampal formation of rats, and control of seizures by nigral muscimol. Epilepsy Res. 58:155–165. , , , , and .
- 2011. Behavioral and EEG effects of GABAergic manipulation of the nigro-tectal pathways in the Wistar audiogenic rat strain. Epilepsy Behav. 22:191–199. , , , and .
- 2012. Behavioral and EEG effects of GABAergic manipulation of the nigro-tectal pathway in the Wistar audiogenic rat (WAR) strain II: an EEG wavelet analysis and retrograde neuronal tracer approach. Epilepsy Behav. 24:391–398. , , , , , , et al.
- 1972. Intracranial chemical injections and behavior: a critical review. Behav. Biol. 7:601–641.
- 1991. The projection of the locus coeruleus and the mesencephalic raphe nuclei to the hippocampal region of the rat: a study with horseradish peroxidase. J. Hirnforsch. 32:409–420. , and .
- 2001. Monoamines and seizures: microdialysis findings in locus coeruleus and amygdala before and during amygdala kindling. Brain Res. 892:176–192. , , , , and .
- 1992. Pharmacological model of generalized absence seizures in rodents. J. Neural Transm. 35:7–19.
- 2007. Antinociceptive effect of intra-hippocampal CA1 and dentate gyrus injection of MK801 and AP5 in the formalin test in adult male rats. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 562:39–46. , , , , and .
- 2006. Microinjection of ritanserin into the dorsal hippocampal CA1 and dentate gyrus decreases nociceptive behavior in adult male rat. Behav. Brain Res. 168:221–225. , , , and .
- 1996. Ethosuximide specifically antagonize the effect of pentylenetetrazol in the rat entorhinal cortex. Epilepsy Res. 25:69–77.
- 1981. Different opioid systems may participate in post-electro-convulsive shock (ECS) analgesia and catalepsy. Brain Res. 219:385–396. , , and .
- 1992. Cortical and thalamic lesions in rats with genetic absence epilepsy. J. Neural Transm. 35:71–83. , and .
- 1994. Pathophysiological mechanisms underlying genetic absence epilepsy in rats. Pp. 151–168 in A. Malafosse, P. Geton, E. Hirsch, C. Marescaux, D. Broglin, and R. Bernasconi, eds. Idiophathic generalized epilepsies: clinical, experimental, and genetic aspects. John Libbey, London. , and .
- 1999. Modulatory role of presynaptic nicotinic receptors in synaptic and non-synaptic chemical communication in the central nervous system. Brain Res. Rev. 30:219–235. , and .
- 2011. Persistent enhancement of functional MRI responsiveness to sensory stimulation following repeated seizures. Epilepsia 52:2285–2292. , , , , and .
- 2007. Both endogenous and exogenous ACh play antinociceptive role in the hippocampus CA1 of rats. J. Neural Transm. 115:1–6. , , and .