Social exclusion, infant behavior, social isolation, and maternal expectations independently predict maternal depressive symptoms
Article first published online: 29 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 1, pages 14–23, January 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2013; 3(1):14–23.
- Issue published online: 9 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 29 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 15 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 23 JUL 2012
- 2006. Postnatal depressive symptoms among Pacific mothers in Auckland: prevalence and risk factors. Aust. NZ J. Psychiatry 40:230–238. , and .
- 2002. Attachment security: a meta-analysis of maternal mental health correlates. Clin. Psychol. Rev. 20:1019–1040. , , , , and .
- 2003. Targeted group antenatal prevention of postnatal depression: a review. Acta Psychiatr. Scand. 107:244–250.
- 2005. Clinical issues in perinatal mental health: new developments in the detection and treatment of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders. Acta Psychiatr. Scand. 112:97–104. , and .
- 2005. Screening in the context of integrated perinatal care. Pp. 68–82 in C. Henshaw and S. Elliott, eds. Screening for perinatal depression. Jessica Kingsley, London. , , , and .
- 2001. Predictors of postpartum depression: an update. Nurs. Res. 50:275–285.
- 2002. Postnatal depression: a metasynthesis. Qual. Health Res. 12:453–472.
- 2005. Acculturation level and postpartum depression in Hispanic mothers. MCN Am. J. Matern. Child Nurs. 30:299. , , and .
- 1997. Principles and procedures of exploratory data analysis. Psychol. Methods 2:131–160.
- 2000. Physical health problems after childbirth and maternal depression at six to seven months postpartum. BJOG 107:1194–1201. , and .
- 2008. Postnatal mental health of women giving birth in Australia 2002–2004: findings from the beyondblue National Postnatal Depression Program. Aust. NZ J. Psychiatry 42:66–73. , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Impact of maternal post-natal depression on cognitive development of young children. Br. Med. J. 292:1165–1167. , , , , and .
- 1987. Detection of postnatal depression. Development of the 10-item Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale. Br. J. Psychiatry 150:782–786. , , and .
- 2000. Infant social and emotional development in family context. Pp. 69–90 in C. Zeanah, ed. Handbook of infant mental health. 2nd ed. The Guilford Press, New York. , and .
- 2005. Psychosocial and psychological interventions for prevention of postnatal depression: systematic review. Br. Med. J. 331:15.
- 2009. Effect of peer support on prevention of postnatal depression among high risk women: multisite randomised controlled trial. Br. Med. J. 338:a3064. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Interpersonal factors and perinatal depressive symptomatology in a low-income Latina sample. Cultur. Divers. Ethnic Minor. Psychol. 13:328. , , , and .
- 2011. Postnatal depression and socio-demographic risk: factors associated with Edinburgh Depression Scale scores in a metropolitan area of New South Wales, Australia. Aust. NZ J. Psychiatry 45:1040–1046. , , and .
- 1991. Maternal representations of attachment during pregnancy predict the organization of infant–mother attachment at one year of age. Child Dev. 62:891–905. , , and .
- 2005. Perinatal depression: a systematic review of prevalence and incidence. Obstet. Gynecol. 106:1071–1083. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Environmental and genetic influences on early attachment. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry Ment. Health 3:1–12.
- 1990. Nonlinear multivariate analysis. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.
- 2003. Factor analysis. Pp. 143–164 in J. Schinka and W. Velicer, eds. Handbook of psychology: research methods in psychology. John Wiley and Sons Inc., Hoboken, NJ.
- 2006. Cross-cultural and social diversity of prevalence of postpartum depression and depressive symptoms. J. Affect. Disord. 91:97–111. , and .
- 2007. First-time mothers' expectations of parenthood: what happens when optimistic expectations are not matched by later experiences? Dev. Psychol. 43:1–12. , , and .
- 2007. Nonlinear principal components analysis: introduction and application. Psychol. Methods 12:336–358. , , , and .
- 2000. Maternal depression and parenting behaviour: a meta-analytic review. Clin. Psychol. Rev. 20:561–592. , , , and .
- 1999. Temperament and attachment: one construct or two? Adv. Child Dev. Behav. 27:181–220. , and .
- 2000. Effects of early maternal depression on patterns of infant–mother attachment: a meta-analytic investigation. J. Child Psychol. Psychiatry 41:737–746. , and .
- 2006. Maternal attachment state of mind moderates the impact of postnatal depression on infant attachment. J. Child Psychol. Psychiatry 47:660–669. , , , and .
- 2004. Principal components analysis with nonlinear optimal scaling transformations for ordinal and nominal data. Pp. 49–70 in D. Kaplan, ed. Handbook of quantitative methodology for the social sciences. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA. , , and .
- 2007. Social exclusion and social policy research: defining exclusion. Pp. 1–15 in D. Abrams, J. Christian, and D. Gordon, eds. Multidisciplinary handbook of social exclusion research. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, U.K.
- 2009. Psychological interventions for postnatal depression: cluster randomised trial and economic evaluation. The PoNDER trial. Health Technol. Assess. 13:30. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. The impact of postnatal depression and associated adversity on early mother-infant interaction and later infant outcome. Child Dev. 67:2512–2526. , , , and .
- 1996. Rates and risk of postnatal depression – a meta-analysis. Int. Rev. Psychiatry 8:37–54. , and .
- 2003. High EPDS scores in women from ethnic minorities living in London. Arch. Womens Ment. Health 6(Suppl. 2):s51–s55. , , , , and .
- 2001. A framework for monitoring maternal and infant health status. Aust. Health Rev. 24:105–115. , , , , and .
- 2004. Infant crying and abuse. Lancet 364:1340–1342. , , and , , and .
- 2003. Can social exclusion provide a new framework for measuring poverty. SPRC Discussion Paper No. 127. Social Policy Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney.
- 2008. Postpartum depression symptoms in newcomers. Can. J. Psychiatry 53:121–124. , , , , and .
- 2002. Aggregate level and determining factors of social exclusion in twelve European countries. J. Eur. Soc. Policy 12:211–226. , and .
- 1980. We need both exploratory and confirmatory. Am. Stat. 34:23–25.
- 1999. Attachment and temperament: redundant, independent, or interacting influences on interpersonal adaptation and personality development? Pp. 198–225 in J. Cassidy and P. Shaver, eds. Handbook of attachment: theory, research and clinical applications. The Guilford Press, New York. , and .
- 1985. Depression in mothers in a multi-ethnic urban industrial municipality in Melbourne. Aetiological factors and effects on infants and preschool children. J. Child Psychol. Psychiatry 27:277–288. , and .