Baseline thyroid indices and the subsequent response to citalopram treatment, a pilot study
Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 89–94, March 2013
How to Cite
Abulseoud, O. A., Gitlin, M., Altshuler, L. and Frye, M. A. (2013), Baseline thyroid indices and the subsequent response to citalopram treatment, a pilot study. Brain and Behavior, 3: 89–94. doi: 10.1002/brb3.109
- Issue online: 14 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 13 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUL 2012
- American Foundation of Suicide Prevention (AFSP)
- 2007. Free T4 index and clinical outcome in patients with depression. J. Affect. Disord. 100:271–277. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Does thyroid supplementation accelerate tricyclic antidepressant response? A review and meta-analysis of the literature. Am. J. Psychiatry 158:1617–1622. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. TRH stimulation test as a predictor of acute and long-term antidepressant response in major depression. J. Affect. Disord. 38:165–172. , , , , and .
- 2009. How long should a trial of escitalopram treatment be in patients with major depressive disorder, generalised anxiety disorder or social anxiety disorder? An exploration of the randomised controlled trial database. Hum. Psychopharmacol. 24:269–275. , , , and .
- 2001. Meta-analysis of placebo-controlled trials with mirtazapine using the core items of the Hamilton Depression Scale as evidence of a pure antidepressive effect in the short-term treatment of major depression. Int. J. Neuropsychopharmacol. 4:337–345.
- 1961. An inventory for measuring depression. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 4:561–571. , , , , and .
- 1979. Assessment of suicidal intention: the scale for suicidal ideation. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 47:343–352. , , and .
- 2002. Thyroid hormones and antidepressant response. Am. J. Psychiatry 159:1441. , and .
- 1998. The use of pindolol to potentiate antidepressant medication. J. Clin. Psychiatry. 59(suppl 5):16–23. , and .
- 1994. Current advances and trends in the treatment of depression. Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 15:220–226. , and .
- 1998. Effect of pindolol on onset of action of paroxetine in the treatment of major depression: intermediate analysis of a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Réseau de Recherche et d'Expérimentation Psychopharmacologique. Am. J. Psychiatry 155:1346–1351. , , and .
- 2006. Thyrotropin, but not a polymorphism in type II deiodinase, predicts response to paroxetine in major depression. Eur. J. Endocrinol. 154:819–825. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Prevalence of depression in patients affected by subclinical hypothyroidism. Panminerva Med. 52:277–82. , , , , and .
- 1995. Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism in major depression revisited. J. Clin. Psychiatry 56:186–192. , , , and .
- 2002. Structured clinical interview for DSM-IV-TR axis I disorders, Research version, Patient edition (SCID-I/P). Biometrics Research, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York. , , , and .
- 1999. CSF thyrotropin-releasing hormone gender difference: implications for neurobiology and treatment of depression. J. Neuropsychiatry Clin. Neurosci. 11:349–353. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Effect of mirtazapine on thyroid hormones in adult patients with major depression. Int. J. Immunopathol. Pharmacol. 18:737–744. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Peripheral thyroid hormones and response to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. J. Psychiatry Neurosci. 29:383–386. , , , , , , et al.
- 1976). ECDEU Assessment Manual for Psychopharmacology, revised U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Bethesda, MD. (
- 1995. Borderline hypothyroidism and depression. Annu. Rev. Med. 46:37–46. , and .
- 2005. Epidemiology of major depressive disorder: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcoholism and Related Conditions. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 62(10):1097–1106. , , , and .
- 1993. The thyroid and depression. Pp. 195–254 in R. T. Joffe and A. J. Levitt, eds. The thyroid axis and psychiatric illness. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC. , and .
- 1987. Effect of phenelzine on thyroid function in depressed patients. Biol. Psychiatry 22:1033–1035. , and .
- 1999. Pindolol and mianserin augment the antidepressant activity of fluoxetine in hospitalized major depressed patients, including those with treatment resistance. J. Clin. Psychopharmacol. 19:177–182. , , , , and .
- 1979. A new depression scale designed to be sensitive to change. Br. J. Psychiatry 134:382–389. , and .
- 1997. Pindolol augmentation of treatment-resistant depressed patients. J. Clin. Psychiatry 58:437–439. , , , and .
- 2009. Simultaneous initiation (coinitiation) of pharmacotherapy with triiodothyronine and a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor for major depressive disorder: a quantitative synthesis of double-blind studies. Int. Clin. Psychopharmacol. 24:19–25. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of pindolol in combination with fluoxetine antidepressant treatment. Lancet 349:1594–1597. , , , , and .
- 2011. Can we really accelerate and enhance the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressant effect? A randomized clinical trial and a meta-analysis of pindolol in nonresistant depression. J. Clin. Psychiatry 72:962–969. , , , , , , et al.
- 1969. Enhancement of imipramine antidepressant activity by thyroid hormone. Am. J. Psychiatry 126:457–469. , , , and .
- 1998. Polymorphism within the promoter of the serotonin transporter gene and antidepressant efficacy of fluvoxamine. Mol. Psychiatry 3:508–511. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Changes in thyroid hormone levels associated with desipramine response in adolescent depression. Prog. Neuropsychopharmacol. Biol. Psychiatry 20:1053–1063. , , and
- 2007. Is there a common resilience mechanism underlying antidepressant drug response? Evidence from 2848 patients. J. Clin. Psychiatry 68:1195–1205. , , , , and .
- 2004. Predictors for 2-year outcome of major depressive episode. J. Affect. Disord. 83:49–57. , , , and .
- 2009. Sex steroids and the thyroid. Best Pract. Res. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 23:769–768. , and .
- 1994. How long to onset of antidepressant action: a meta-analysis of patients treated with fluoxetine or placebo. Int. Clin. Psychopharmacol. 9:245–250. , and .
- 1998. Paroxetine and pindolol: a randomized trial of serotonergic autoreceptor blockade in the reduction of antidepressant latency. Int. Clin. Psychopharmacol. 12:81–89. , , , and .
- 2007. The STAR*D Project results: a comprehensive review of findings. Curr. Psychiatry Rep. 9(6):449–459. , , , , and .
- 1998. Faster onset of action of fluvoxamine in combination with pindolol in the treatment of delusional depression: a controlled study. J. Clin. Psychopharmacol. 18:441–446. , , , , , and .