A cytokine mixture of GM-CSF and IL-3 that induces a neuroprotective phenotype of microglia leading to amelioration of (6-OHDA)-induced Parkinsonism of rats
Version of Record online: 9 AUG 2011
©2011 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 26–43, September 2011
How to Cite
Choudhury, M. E., Sugimoto, K., Kubo, M., Nagai, M., Nomoto, M., Takahashi, H., Yano, H. and Tanaka, J. (2011), A cytokine mixture of GM-CSF and IL-3 that induces a neuroprotective phenotype of microglia leading to amelioration of (6-OHDA)-induced Parkinsonism of rats. Brain and Behavior, 1: 26–43. doi: 10.1002/brb3.11
- Issue online: 29 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 9 AUG 2011
- Received: 25 May 2011; Revised: 02 June 2011; Accepted: 16 June 2011.
- 2010. Neuroprotective effects of zonisamide target astrocyte. Ann. Neurol. 67:239–249. , , , , , , , and .
- 1995. IL-3 increases marrow and peripheral erythroid precursors in chronic pure red cell aplasia presenting in childhood. Br. J. Haematol. 89:413–416. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Microglia-mediated neurotoxicity: uncovering the molecular mechanisms. Nature Rev. Neurosci. 8:57–69. , , and .
- 2005. Synantocytes: the fifth element. J. Anat. 207:695–706. , , , , and .
- 2011. Zonisamide-induced long-lasting recovery of dopaminergic neurons from MPTP-toxicity. Brain Res. 1384: 170–178. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. IGF-I and bFGF improve dopamine neuron survival and behavioral outcome in parkinsonian rats receiving cultured human fetal tissue strands. Exp. Neurol. 168:183–191. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. The microglial networks of the brain and their role in neuronal network plasticity after lesion. Brain Res. Rev. 55:89–96. , and .
- 2010. Chronic expression of low levels of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in the substantia nigra elicits progressive neurodegeneration, delayed motor symptoms and microglia/macrophage activation. Neurobiol. Dis. 37:630–640. , , , , and .
- 2007. Modulation of L-DOPA-induced abnormal involuntary movements by clinically tested compounds: further validation of the rat dyskinesia model. Behav. Brain Res. 179:76–89. , , , and .
- 1999. Expression of neurotrophins in the adult spinal cord in vivo. J. Neurosci. Res. 56:1–7. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Human neural progenitor cells over-expressing IGF-1 protect dopamine neurons and restore function in a rat model of Parkinson's disease. Exp. Neurol. 209:213–223. , , , and .
- 1996. Effects of GM-CSF and ordinary supplements on the ramification of microglia in culture: a morphometrical study. Glia 18:269–281. , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Mechanism of 6-hydroxydopamine neurotoxicity. J. Neural Transm. Suppl. 50:55–66. , , and .
- 2000. N-terminal tripeptide of IGF-1 (GPE) prevents the loss of TH positive neurons after 6-OHDA induced nigral lesion in rats. Brain Res. 859:286–292. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Kinetics of microglial activation and degeneration of dopamine-containing neurons in a rat model of Parkinson disease induced by 6-hydroxydopamine. J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 68:1092–1102. , , , , and .
- 1993. Potentiation of GM-CSF or G-CSF induced mobilization of circulating progenitor cells by pretreatment with IL-3 and harvest by apheresis. Int. J. Artif. Organs 16(Suppl 5):25–29. , , , , and .
- 2007. GM-CSF inhibits apoptosis of neural cells via regulating the expression of apoptosis-related proteins. Neurosci. Res. 58:50–57. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. The 6-hydroxydopamine-induced nigrostriatal neurodegeneration produces microglia-like NG2 glial cells in the rat substantia nigra. Glia 58:1686–1700. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Prevention of onset of Parkinson's disease by in vivo gene transfer of human hepatocyte growth factor in rodent model: a model of gene therapy for Parkinson's disease. Gene Ther. 13:1639–1644. , , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Microglia: a sensor for pathological events in the CNS. Trends Neurosci. 19:312–318.
- 2010. Reactive microgliosis: extracellular micro-calpain and microglia-mediated dopaminergic neurotoxicity. Brain 133:808–821. , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Inducible nitric oxide synthase stimulates dopaminergic neurodegeneration in the MPTP model of Parkinson disease. Nature Med. 5:1403–1409. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. The influence of microglia on the pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease. Prog. Neurobiol. 89:277–287. , , .
- 2010. Microglia activation and anti-inflammatory regulation in Alzheimer's disease. Mol. Neurobiol. 41:115–128. , , , and .
- 2009. Relationship between microglial activation and dopaminergic neuronal loss in the substantia nigra: a time course study in a 6-hydroxydopamine model of Parkinson's disease. J. Neurochem. 110:966–975. , , , , , .
- 2008. Glial reactions in Parkinson's disease. Mov. Disord. 23:474–483. , and .
- 2011. Astrocyte-derived metallothionein protects dopaminergic neurons from dopamine quinone toxicity. Glia 59:435–451. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Neuroinflammation, Oxidative Stress and the Pathogenesis of Parkinson's Disease. Clin. Neurosci. Res. 6:261–281. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Subcutaneous injection containing IL-3 and GM-CSF ameliorates stab wound-induced brain injury in rats. Exp. Neurol. 229:507–516. , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) promotes oligodendrocyte progenitor cell proliferation and inhibits its differentiation during postnatal development in the rat. Brain Res. 1147:51–65. , , , and .
- 1993. Regional and cell-specific expression of GDNF in rat brain. Exp. Neurol. 124:368–371. , , , and .
- 2008. A neuroprotective function for the hematopoietic protein granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF). J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab.: 28:29–43. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. NG2-positive glia in the human central nervous system. Neuron Glia Biol. 5:35–44. , and .
- 1999. Reactive microgliosis. Prog. Neurobiol. 57:563–581. , , and .
- 1998. Neurons induce the activation of microglial cells in vitro. Exp. Neurol. 154:499–510. , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Production and isolation of NG2+ oligodendrocyte precursors from human embryonic stem cells in defined serum-free medium. Stem Cell Res. 5:91–103. , , , and .
- 2008. Involvement of heparanase in migration of microglial cells. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1780:709–715. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Induction of resting microglia in culture medium devoid of glycine and serine. Glia 24:198–215. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Astrocytes prevent neuronal death induced by reactive oxygen and nitrogen species. Glia 28:85–96. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Neuroinflammation in Parkinson's disease: its role in neuronal death and implications for therapeutic intervention. Neurobiol. Dis. 37:510–518. , and .
- 2007. Evidence for synaptic stripping by cortical microglia. Glia 55:360–368. , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. NG2 cells: Properties, progeny and origin. Brain Res. Rev. 63:72–82. , , and .
- 1998. Interleukin 3 prevents delayed neuronal death in the hippocampal CA1 field. J. Exp. Med. 188:635–649. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Zonisamide increases dopamine turnover in the striatum of mice and common marmosets treated with MPTP. J. Pharm. Sci. 110:64–68. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Targets for neuroprotection in Parkinson's disease. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1792:676–687. , and .
- 2006. NG2 proteoglycan-expressing microglia as multipotent neural progenitors in normal and pathologic brains. Glia 53:754–768. , , , , .
- 2010. Induced NG2 expressing microglia in the facial motor nucleus after facial nerve axotomy. Neuroscience 166:842–851. , , , , and .