Brain processing of pain in patients with unresponsive wakefulness syndrome
Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 95–103, March 2013
How to Cite
Markl, A., Yu, T., Vogel, D., Müller, F., Kotchoubey, B. and Lang, S. (2013), Brain processing of pain in patients with unresponsive wakefulness syndrome. Brain and Behavior, 3: 95–103. doi: 10.1002/brb3.110
- Issue online: 14 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 7 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2012
- German Research Society. Grant Number: Grant KO-1753/10-1
- European Commission Grant DECODER. Grant Number: Grant KO-1753/8
- 1996. Misdiagnosis of the vegetative state: retrospective study in a rehabilitation unit. BMJ 313:13–16. , , , and .
- 2005. Human brain mechanisms of pain perception and regulation in health and disease. Eur. J. Pain 9:463–484. , , , and .
- 2012. The striatum and pain modulation. Cell. Mol. Neurobiol. 32:1–12. , , and .
- 2011. Functional imaging reveals movement preparatory activity in the vegetative state. Front Hum. Neurosci. 5:1–11. , , , , and .
- 2005. Cerebral processing of auditory and noxious stimuli in severely brain injured patients: differences between VS and MCS. Neuropsychol. Rehabil. 5:283–289. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Perception of pain in the minimally conscious state with PET activation: an observational study. Lancet Neurol. 7:1013–1020. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Acoustic noise in functional magnetic resonance imaging reduces pain unpleasantness ratings. NeuroImage 31:1278–1283. , , , and .
- 2005. From nociception to pain perception: imaging the spinal and supraspinal pathways. J. Anat. 207:19–33. , and .
- 2001. Handbook of functional neuroimaging of cognition. The MIT Press, Cambridge and Massachusetts. , and .
- 1993. Accuracy of diagnosis of persistent vegetative state. Neurology 43:1465–1467. , , and .
- 2002. How do you feel? Interoception: the sense of the physiological condition of the body. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 3:655–666.
- 2008. Interoception and emotion: a neuroanatomical perspective. Pp. 272–288 in M. Lewis and L. Feldman-Barrett, eds. Handbook of emotions. 3rd ed. Guilford, New York.
- 2009. Different beliefs about pain perception in the vegetative and minimally conscious state: a European survey of medical and paramedical professionals. Prog. Brain Res. 177:329–338. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Pain perception in disorders of consciousness: neuroscience, clinical care and ethics in dialogue. Neuroethics 1–14. doi:10.1007/s12152-011-9149-x , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Exploring the pain neuromatrix. Curr. Rev. Pain 2:467–477. .
- 1995. Statistical parametric maps in functional imaging: a general linear approach. Hum. Brain Mapp. 2:189–210. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Dual representation of pain in the operculoinsular cortex in humans. Brain 126:438–450. , and .
- 2001. Temporal lobe rating scale: application to Alzheimer's disease and frontotemporal dementia. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry 70:165–173. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The JFK Coma Recovery Scale-Revised: measurement characteristics and diagnostic utility. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 85:2020–2029. , , and .
- 2001. Age related differences in pain perception and report. Clin. Geriatr. Med. 17:433–456. , and .
- 1979. A simple sequentially rejective multiple test procedure. Scand. J. Stat. 6:65–70.
- 1972. Persistent vegetative state after brain damage: a syndrome in search of a name. Lancet 299:734–737. , and .
- 2003. Activation of a residual cortical network during painful stimulation in long-term postanoxic vegetative state: a 15-O-H2O PET study. J. Neurol. Sci. 212:85–91. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. The cognitive modulation of pain: hypnosis- and placebo-induced analgesia. Prog. Brain Res. 150:251–269. , , and .
- 2002. Cortical processing of noxious somatosensory stimuli in the persistent vegetative state. NeuroImage 17:732–741. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Unresponsive wakefulness syndrome: a new name for the vegetative state or apallic syndrome. BMC Med. 8:68. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. An automated method for neuroanaomic and cytoarchitectonic atlas-based interrogation of fMRI data sets. NeuroImage 19:1233–1239. , , , and .
- 2010. Conjoint activity of anterior insular and anterior cingulate cortex: awareness and response. Brain Struct. Funct. 214:535–549. , and .
- 1994. Pp. 3–4 in Classification of chronic pain. International Association for the Study of Pain, Seattle. , and .
- 2009. Activation of anterior insula during self-reflection. PLoS ONE 4:e4618. , , and .
- 2011. Aversion-related circuitry in the cerebellum: responses to noxious heat and unpleasant images. J. Neurosci. 31:3795–3804. , , , , , and .
- 2011. The role of the human insular cortex in pain processing. Eur. Psychiatry 26:1001. , , , and .
- 2002. Representation of pain and somatic sensation in the human insula: a study of responses to direct electrical cortical stimulation. Cereb. Cortex 12:376–385. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Central neural mechanisms that interrelate sensory and affective dimensions of pain. Mol. Interv. 2:392–402.
- 2009. Diagnostic accuracy of the vegetative and minimally conscious state: clinical consensus versus standardized neurobehavioral assessment. BMC Neurol. 9:35. , , , , , , et al.
- The Multi Society Task Force on PVS. 1994. Medical aspects of the persistent vegetative state. N. Engl. J. Med. 330:1499–1508.
- 2002. Automated anatomical labeling of activations in SPM using a macroscopic anatomical parcellation of the MNI MRI single-subject brain. NeuroImage 15:273–289. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Pain and emotion interactions in subregions of the cingulate gyrus. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 6:533–544.
- 2001. Neural networks and pain processing. New insights from imaging techniques. Anaesthesist 50:2–12. , , and .