Electrophysiological analysis of the role of novelty in the von Restorff effect
Article first published online: 17 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 159–170, March 2013
How to Cite
Rangel-Gomez, M. and Meeter, M. (2013), Electrophysiological analysis of the role of novelty in the von Restorff effect. Brain and Behavior, 3: 159–170. doi: 10.1002/brb3.112
- Issue published online: 14 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 17 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 12 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 23 MAR 2012
- NWO. Grant Number: 452-09-007
- 1994. Processing of auditory stimuli during auditory and visual attention as revealed by event-related potentials. Psychophysiology 31:469–479. , , and .
- 2010. The N400 and the P300 are not all that independent. Psychophysiology 48:861–875. , , and .
- 2008. Age-related differences in the von Restorff isolation effect. Q. J. Exp. Psychol. (Colchester) 61:345–352. , , and .
- 2001. Children's auditory event-related potentials index sound complexity and “speechness”. Int. J. Neurosci. 109:245–260. , , , , , and .
- 2005. ERPs differentiate syllable and nonphonetic sound processing in children and adults. Psychophysiology 42:391–406. , , , , and .
- 1995. The N400 as a function of the level of processing. Psychophysiology 32:274–285. , , and .
- 2007. Immediate integration of novel meanings: N400 support for an embodied view of language comprehension. Brain Res. 1183:109–123. , , and .
- 1981. The isolation effect in childrens short-term-memory. J. Gen. Psychol. 105:215–223. , , and .
- 1975. Stimulus novelty, task relevance and the visual evoked potential in man. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 39:131–143. , , and .
- 2006. Where and when the anterior cingulate cortex modulates attentional response: combined fMRI and ERP evidence. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 18:766–780. , and .
- 2000. An electrophysiological index of stimulus unfamiliarity. Psychophysiology 37:737–747. , , , , , and .
- 2004. EEGLAB: an open source toolbox for analysis of single-trial EEG dynamics including independent component analysis. J. Neurosci. Methods 134:9–21. , and .
- 2007. Enhanced detection of artifacts in EEG data using higher-order statistics and independent component analysis. Neuroimage 34:1443–1449. , , and .
- 1981. Presidential address, 1980. Surprise!…Surprise? Psychophysiology 18:493–513.
- 2000. Is perceptual salience needed in explanations of the isolation effect? J. Exp. Psychol. Learn. Mem. Cogn. 26:649–657. , , and .
- 1995. Encoding processes and memory organization: a model of the von Restorff effect. J. Exp. Psychol. Learn. Mem. Cogn. 21:224–240. , and .
- 1990. Effects of mnemonic strategy manipulation in a von Restorff paradigm. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 75:22–35. , , and .
- 2010. Detecting novelty and significance. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 22:404–411. , , , and .
- 2008. Influence of cognitive control and mismatch on the N2 component of the ERP: a review. Psychophysiology 45:152–170. , and .
- 2001. The novelty P3: an event-related brain potential (ERP) sign of the brain's evaluation of novelty. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 25:355–373. , , and .
- 2010. Distinctive items are salient during encoding: delayed judgements of learning predict the isolation effect. Q. J. Exp. Psychol. 63:50–64. , and .
- 2002. The influence of stimulus deviance and novelty on the P300 and novelty P3. Psychophysiology 39:781–790. , , and .
- 1996. Encoding and retrieval of episodic memories: role of cholinergic and GABAergic modulation in the hippocampus. Hippocampus 6:693–708. , , , and .
- 2001. A cortical potential imaging analysis of the P300 and novelty P3 components. Hum. Brain Mapp. 12:120–130. , , , , and .
- 2001. What causes the isolation effect? J. Exp. Psychol. Learn. Mem. Cogn. 27:1359–1366. , and .
- 1970. Attention and the von Restorff effect. Br. J. Psychiatry 61:163–170.
- 2000a. Removing electroencephalographic artifacts by blind source separation. Psychophysiology 37:163–178. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000b. Removal of eye activity artifacts from visual event-related potentials in normal and clinical subjects. Clin. Neurophysiol. 111:1745–1758. , , , , , and .
- 1984. P300 and memory – individual-differences in the von Restorff effect. Cogn. Psychol. 16:177–216. , , and .
- 2010. Auditory and visual novelty processing in normally-developing Kenyan children. Clin. Neurophysiol. 121:564–576. , , , , , and .
- 2004. The von Restorff effect in amnesia: the contribution of the hippocampal system to novelty-related memory enhancements. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 16:15–23. , , and .
- 1998. Anatomic bases of event-related potentials and their relationship to novelty detection in humans. J. Clin. Neurophysiol. 15:3–13. , and .
- 2010. Event-related brain potentials and cognitive processes related to perceptual-motor information transmission. Cogn. Affect. Behav. Neurosci. 10:316–327. , and .
- 2001. The mismatch negativity as an index of temporal processing in audition. Clin. Neurophysiol. 112:1712–1719. , , , and .
- 2005. The hippocampal-VTA loop: controlling the entry of information into long-term memory. Neuron 46:703–713. , and .
- 2005. Disentangling encoding versus retrieval explanations of the bizarreness effect: implications for distinctiveness. Mem. Cogn. 33:270–279. , , and .
- 2004. Mode shifting between storage and recall based on novelty detection in oscillating hippocampal circuits. Hippocampus 14:722–741. , , and .
- 1990. Mismatch negativity (MMN) for sequences of auditory and visual stimuli: evidence for a mechanism specific to the auditory modality. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 77:436–444. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Relationship between P300 amplitude and subsequent recall for distinctive events: dependence on type of distinctiveness attribute. Psychophysiology 37:644–661. , and .
- 2010. Probing the lifetimes of auditory novelty detection processes. Neuropsychologia 48:3145–3154. , , , , , and .
- 1984a. Event-related potentials recorded from the scalp and nasopharynx. I. N1 and P2. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 59:177–194. , and .
- 1984b. Event-related potentials recorded from the scalp and nasopharynx. II. N2, P3 and slow wave. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 59:261–278. , and .
- 2007. Updating P300: an integrative theory of P3a and P3b. Clin. Neurophysiol. 118:2128–2148.
- 2006. Neuropsychology and neuropharmacology of P3a and P3b. Int. J. Psychophysiol. 60:172–185. , and .
- 1991. Psychophysiology of N200/N400: a review and classification scheme. Pp. 43–106 in J. Jennings and P. Ackles, eds. Advances in psychophysiology: a research annual. Vol. 4. Jessica Kingsley, London. , , and .
- 1971. Analysis of rehearsal processes in free recall. J. Exp. Psychol. 89:63–77.
- 2006. Newborns discriminate novel from harmonic sounds: a study using magnetoencephalography. Clin. Neurophysiol. 117:496–503. , , , , and .
- 2010. On the functional significance of novelty-P3: facilitation by unexpected novel sounds. Biol. Psychol. 83:143–152. , , , , and .
- 1963. Higher nervous functions; the orienting reflex. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 25:545–580.
- 1975. Two varieties of long-latency positive waves evoked by unpredictable auditory stimuli in man. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 38:387–401. , , and .
- 2007. Electroencephalography effects to semantic and non-semantic mismatch in properties of visually presented single-characters: the N2b and the N400. Neurosci. Lett. 412:18–23. , , , and .
- 2010. Surprise? Early visual novelty processing is not modulated by attention. Psychophysiology 48:624–632. , , , and .
- 2004. Category norms: an updated and expanded version of the Battig and Montague (1969) norms. J. Mem. Lang. 50:289–335. , , and .
- 1933. Über die wirkung von bereichsbildungen im spurenfeld [The effects of field formation in the trace field]. Psychol. Forsch. 18:299–334.
- 2006. Memory recall in arousing situations – an emotional von Restorff effect? BMC Neurosci. 7:57. , , , and .
- 2008. Gender differences in behavioral inhibitory control: ERP evidence from a two-choice oddball task. Psychophysiology 45:986–993. , , , , and .