Gene therapy with AAV2-CDNF provides functional benefits in a rat model of Parkinson's disease
Article first published online: 14 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 75–88, March 2013
How to Cite
Bäck, S., Peränen, J., Galli, E., Pulkkila, P., Lonka-Nevalaita, L., Tamminen, T., Voutilainen, M. H., Raasmaja, A., Saarma, M., Männistö, P. T. and Tuominen, R. K. (2013), Gene therapy with AAV2-CDNF provides functional benefits in a rat model of Parkinson's disease. Brain and Behavior, 3: 75–88. doi: 10.1002/brb3.117
- Issue published online: 14 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 14 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 29 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 AUG 2012
- Network of European Funding for Neuroscience Research (ERA-Net NEURON)
- Academy of Finland. Grant Number: 253840
- EU FR7 MolPark
- Finnish Cultural Foundation
- Finnish Parkinson Foundation
- 2003. Intraputamenal infusion of GDNF in aged rhesus monkeys: distribution and dopaminergic effects. J. Comp. Neurol. 461:250–261. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. CDNF protects the nigrostriatal dopamine system and promotes recovery after MPTP treatment in mice. Cell Transplant. 21:1213–1223. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Bioactivity of AAV2-neurturin gene therapy (CERE-120): differences between Parkinson's disease and nonhuman primate brains. Mov. Disord. 26:27–36. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Gene therapy for Parkinson's disease. Mov. Disord. 25(Suppl. 1):S161–S173. , and .
- 1996. Dopaminergic sprouting in the rat striatum after partial lesion of the substantia nigra. Brain Res. 709:319–325. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Recombinant AAV viral vectors pseudotyped with viral capsids from serotypes 1, 2, and 5 display differential efficiency and cell tropism after delivery to different regions of the central nervous system. Mol. Ther. 10:302–317. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Behavioral and cellular protection of rat dopaminergic neurons by an adenoviral vector encoding glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor. Exp. Neurol. 154:261–275. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Anterograde axonal transport of AAV2-GDNF in rat basal ganglia. Mol. Ther. 19:922–927. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Parkinson's disease: mechanisms and models. Neuron 39:889–909. , and .
- 2011. GDNF fails to exert neuroprotection in a rat α-synuclein model of Parkinson's disease. Brain 134:2302–2311. , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Quantification of the dopamine innervation in adult rat neostriatum. Neuroscience 19:427–445. , , and .
- 2003. Recombinant adeno-associated viral vector (rAAV) delivery of GDNF provides protection against 6-OHDA lesion in the common marmoset monkey (Callithrix jacchus). Exp. Neurol. 184:536–548. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Substantia nigra. Pp. 215–237 in G. Paxinos, ed. The rat nervous system. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , and .
- 1996. Functional recovery in parkinsonian monkeys treated with GDNF. Nature 380:252–255. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007a. AAV2-mediated delivery of human neurturin to the rat nigrostriatal system: long-term efficacy and tolerability of CERE-120 for Parkinson's disease. Neurobiol. Dis. 27:67–76. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007b. Striatal delivery of neurturin by CERE-120, an AAV2 vector for the treatment of dopaminergic neuron degeneration in Parkinson's disease. Mol. Ther. 15:62–68. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002a. Aberrant sprouting and downregulation of tyrosine hydroxylase in lesioned nigrostriatal dopamine neurons induced by long-lasting overexpression of glial cell line derived neurotrophic factor in the striatum by lentiviral gene transfer. Exp. Neurol. 177:461–474. , , and .
- 2002b. Neuroprotection in the rat Parkinson model by intrastriatal GDNF gene transfer using a lentiviral vector. NeuroReport 13:75–82. , , , , and .
- 2003. Direct brain infusion of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in Parkinson disease. Nat. Med. 9:589–595. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Mesencephalic astrocyte-derived neurotrophic factor (MANF) has a unique mechanism to rescue apoptotic neurons. J. Biol. Chem. 286:2675–2680. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Striatal delivery of CERE-120, an AAV2 vector encoding human neurturin, enhances activity of the dopaminergic nigrostriatal system in aged monkeys. Mov. Disord. 22:1124–1132. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor reverses toxin-induced injury to midbrain dopaminergic neurons in vivo. Neurosci. Lett. 182:107–111. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Clinically relevant effects of convection-enhanced delivery of AAV2-GDNF on the dopaminergic nigrostriatal pathway in aged rhesus monkeys. Hum. Gene Ther. 20:497–510. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Safety and tolerability of gene therapy with an adeno-associated virus (AAV) borne GAD gene for Parkinson's disease: an open label, phase I trial. Lancet 369:2097–2105. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. GDNF protects nigral dopamine neurons against 6-hydroxydopamine in vivo. Brain Res. 672:104–111. , and .
- 1998. Characterization of behavioral and neurodegenerative changes following partial lesions of the nigrostriatal dopamine system induced by intrastriatal 6-hydroxydopamine in the rat. Exp. Neurol. 152:259–277. , , and .
- 2000. Long-term rAAV-mediated gene transfer of GDNF in the rat Parkinson's model: intrastriatal but not intranigral transduction promotes functional regeneration in the lesioned nigrostriatal system. J. Neurosci. 20:4686–4700. , , , and .
- 2004. Localized striatal delivery of GDNF as a treatment for Parkinson disease. Nat. Neurosci. 7:105–110. , , and .
- 2000. Neurodegeneration prevented by lentiviral vector delivery of GDNF in primate models of Parkinson's disease. Science 290:767–773. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Delivery of neurturin by AAV2 (CERE-120)-mediated gene transfer provides structural and functional neuroprotection and neurorestoration in MPTP-treated monkeys. Ann. Neurol. 60:706–715. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Randomized controlled trial of intraputamenal glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor infusion in Parkinson disease. Ann. Neurol. 59:459–466. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. AAV2-GAD gene therapy for advanced Parkinson's disease: a double-blind, sham-surgery controlled, randomised trial. Lancet Neurol. 10:309–319. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Novel CDNF/MANF family of neurotrophic factors. Dev. Neurobiol. 70:360–371. , and .
- 2007. Novel neurotrophic factor CDNF protects and rescues midbrain dopamine neurons in vivo. Nature 448:73–77. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Characterization of the intracellular localization, processing, and secretion of two glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor splice isoforms. J. Neurosci. 30:11403–11413. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Safety and tolerability of intraputaminal delivery of CERE-120 (adeno-associated virus serotype 2-neurturin) to patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease: an open-label, phase I trial. Lancet Neurol. 7:400–408. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Gene delivery of AAV2-neurturin for Parkinson's disease: a double-blind, randomised, controlled trial. Lancet Neurol. 9:1164–1172. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Adeno-associated virus (AAV) vectors in the CNS. Curr. Gene Ther. 5:333–338.
- 2003. Randomized, double-blind trial of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) in PD. Neurology 60:69–73. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Evidence that DmMANF is an invertebrate neurotrophic factor supporting dopaminergic neurons. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:2429–2434. , , , , , and .
- 2009. The structure of the conserved neurotrophic factors MANF and CDNF explains why they are bifunctional. Protein Eng. Des. Sel. 22:233–241. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Transduction profiles of recombinant adeno-associated virus vectors derived from serotypes 2 and 5 in the nigrostriatal system of rats. J. Virol. 78:6808–6817. , , and .
- 1997. The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , and .
- 2003. MANF: a new mesencephalic, astrocyte-derived neurotrophic factor with selectivity for dopaminergic neurons. J. Mol. Neurosci. 20:173–188. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Discovering novel phenotype-selective neurotrophic factors to treat neurodegenerative diseases. Prog. Brain Res. 146:168–183. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Trophic factors therapy in Parkinson's disease. Prog. Brain Res. 175:201–216. , , and .
- 1994. Time course of recovery of extracellular dopamine following partial damage to the nigrostriatal dopamine system. J. Neurosci. 14:2687–2696. , , , and .
- 2006. Crossroads in GDNF therapy for Parkinson's disease. Mov. Disord. 21:136–141. , , , , and .
- 2005. Improvement of bilateral motor functions in patients with Parkinson's disease through the unilateral intraputaminal infusion of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor. J. Neurosurg. 102:216–222. , , , , , and .
- 1995a. Protection and repair of the nigrostriatal dopaminergic system by GDNF in vivo. Nature 373:335–339. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995b. Retrograde axonal transport of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in the adult nigrostriatal system suggests a trophic role in the adult. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:8274–8278. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Mesencephalic astrocyte-derived neurotrophic factor is neurorestorative in rat model of Parkinson's disease. J. Neurosci. 29:9651–9659. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Chronic infusion of CDNF prevents 6-OHDA-induced deficits in a rat model of Parkinson's disease. Exp. Neurol. 228:99–108. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Dose response to intraventricular glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor administration in parkinsonian monkeys. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 282:1396–1401. , , , , , , et al.