Galantamine potentiates the neuroprotective effect of memantine against NMDA-induced excitotoxicity
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 67–74, March 2013
How to Cite
Lopes, J. P., Tarozzo, G., Reggiani, A., Piomelli, D. and Cavalli, A. (2013), Galantamine potentiates the neuroprotective effect of memantine against NMDA-induced excitotoxicity. Brain and Behavior, 3: 67–74. doi: 10.1002/brb3.118
- Issue published online: 14 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 10 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 OCT 2012
- 2003. Involvement of calcineurin in the neurotoxic effects induced by amyloid-beta and prion peptides. Eur. J. Neurosci. 17:1189–1196. , and .
- 2010. Mechanisms of neuroprotective effects of nicotine and acetylcholinesterase inhibitors: role of alpha4 and alpha7 receptors in neuroprotection. J. Mol. Neurosci. 40:211–216. , , , and .
- 2006. Protective effect of donepezil in primary-cultured rat cortical neurons exposed to N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) toxicity. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 530:215–222. , , , , and .
- Alzheimer's Disease International. 2009. World Alzheimer Report 2009. Alzheimer's Disease International, Illinois, IL. Available at http://www.alz.co.uk/ (accessed September 2012).
- 1997. Mechanism of memantine block of NMDA-activated channels in rat retinal ganglion cells: uncompetitive antagonism. J. Physiol. 499(Pt 1):27–46. , and .
- 2006. The chemical biology of clinically tolerated NMDA receptor antagonists. J. Neurochem. 97:1611–1626. , and .
- 1992. Open-channel block of N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) responses by memantine: therapeutic advantage against NMDA receptor-mediated neurotoxicity. J. Neurosci. 12:4427–4436. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Alzheimer's disease: strategies for disease modification. Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 9:387–398.
- 1976. Selective loss of central cholinergic neurons in Alzheimer's disease. Lancet 2:1403. , and .
- 2005. Effects of memantine on behavioural symptoms in Alzheimer's disease patients: an analysis of the Neuropsychiatric Inventory (NPI) data of two randomised, controlled studies. Int. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry 20:459–464. , , and .
- 2006. Rationale for combination therapy with galantamine and memantine in Alzheimer's disease. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 46:17S–26S. , , and .
- 2004. Galantamine modulates nicotinic receptor and blocks Abeta-enhanced glutamate toxicity. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 325:976–982. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Paradigm shift in neuroprotection by NMDA receptor blockade: memantine and beyond. Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 5:160–170.
- 2007. NMDA receptor subunits have differential roles in mediating excitotoxic neuronal death both in vitro and in vivo. J. Neurosci. 27:2846–2857. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Galantamine postischemia provides neuroprotection and memory recovery against transient global cerebral ischemia in gerbils. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 322:591–599. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Allosteric modulation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors as a treatment strategy for Alzheimer's disease. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 393:165–170. , and .
- 2009. Galantamine protects against oxidative stress induced by amyloid-beta peptide in cortical neurons. Eur. J. Neurosci. 29:455–464. , , , , and .
- 2008. Cognition-enhancing and anxiolytic effects of memantine. Neuropharmacology 54:1079–1085. , , and .
- 2004. Mechanism of action of galantamine on N-methyl-d-aspartate receptors in rat cortical neurons. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 310:933–942. , , , , and .
- 2006. Memantine treatment in mild to moderate Alzheimer disease: a 24-week randomized, controlled trial. Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry 14:704–715. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Memantine reduces oxidative damage and enhances long-term recognition memory in aged rats. Neuroscience 146:1719–1725. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Galantamine is an allosterically potentiating ligand of neuronal nicotinic but not of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 305:1024–1036. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Sustained effects of once-daily memantine treatment on cognition and functional communication skills in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease: results of a 16-week open-label trial. J. Alzheimers Dis. 25:463–475. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Combining galantamine and memantine in multitargeted, new chemical entities potentially useful in Alzheimer's disease. J. Med. Chem. 55:9708–9721. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor-mediated neuroprotection by donepezil against glutamate neurotoxicity in rat cortical neurons. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 306:772–777. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors used in treatment of Alzheimer's disease prevent glutamate neurotoxicity via nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase cascade. Neuropharmacology 51:474–486. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Synaptic and extrasynaptic NMDA receptor NR2 subunits in cultured hippocampal neurons. J. Neurophysiol. 95:1727–1734. , , and .
- 2006. Neuroprotective properties of memantine in different in vitro and in vivo models of excitotoxicity. Eur. J. Neurosci. 23:2611–2622. , , , , and .
- 1977. Neocortical cholinergic neurons in elderly people. Lancet 1:668–671. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Ifenprodil discriminates subtypes of the N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor: selectivity and mechanisms at recombinant heteromeric receptors. Mol. Pharmacol. 44:851–859.
- 2010. Memantine preferentially blocks extrasynaptic over synaptic NMDA receptor currents in hippocampal autapses. J. Neurosci. 30:11246–11250. , , , and .
- 2006. In vitro galantamine-memantine co-application: mechanism of beneficial action. Neuropharmacology 51:1181–1191. , , , , , and .