Melatonin modulates baroreflex control via area postrema
Version of Record online: 17 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 171–177, March 2013
How to Cite
Campos, L. A., Cipolla-Neto, J. and Michelini, L. C. (2013), Melatonin modulates baroreflex control via area postrema. Brain and Behavior, 3: 171–177. doi: 10.1002/brb3.123
- Issue online: 14 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 17 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 15 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 SEP 2012
- State of São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP)
- National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq)
- 2004. Continuous light exposure and sympathectomy suppress circadian rhythm of blood pressure in rats. J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. Ther. 9:97–105. , , and .
- 1991. Urinary 6-sulphatoxymelatonin, an index of pineal function in the rat. J. Pineal Res. 10:141–147. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Prolonged melatonin administration decreases nocturnal blood pressure in women. Am. J. Hypertens. 18:1614–1618. , , , , , and .
- 1998. The area postrema does not modulate the long-term salt sensitivity of arterial pressure. Am. J. Physiol. 275:R1209–R1217. , and .
- 2003. Cardiovascular function and circadian patterns in rats after area postrema lesions or prolonged food restriction. Neurosci. Lett. 350:46–50. , , and .
- 1994. Functional organization of central pathways regulating the cardiovascular system. Physiol. Rev. 74:323–364.
- 2004. Effect of orally administered l-tryptophan on serotonin, melatonin, and the innate immune response in the rat. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 267:39–46. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Area postrema is critical for angiotensin-induced hypertension in rats. Hypertension 9:355–361. , , and .
- 2004. Treatment by N-acetylcysteine and melatonin increases cardiac baroreflex and improves antioxidant reserve. Am. J. Hypertens. 17:947–954. , , , and .
- 2011. Effect of melatonin on nocturnal blood pressure: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Vasc. Health Risk Manag. 7:577–584. , , and .
- 1987. Vagal and sympathetic components of the heart rate range and gain of the baroreceptor-heart rate reflex in conscious rats. J. Auton. Nerv. Syst. 21:203–213. , and .
- 1976. Proceedings: the effect of melatonin on pinealectomy-induced hypertension in the rat. Br. J. Pharmacol. 56:360P–361P. , and .
- 2006. Essential hypertension seems to result from melatonin-induced epigenetic modifications in area postrema. Med. Hypotheses 66:1000–1007. , and .
- 1993. Sensory circumventricular organs and brain homeostatic pathways. FASEB J. 7:678–686. , and .
- 2003. Impaired nocturnal melatonin secretion in non-dipper hypertensive patients. Blood Press. 12:19–24. , , , , and .
- 1970. Evidence that the area postrema mediates the central cardiovascular response to angiotensin II. Nature 228:1303–1304. , and .
- 1984. Melatonin in serum and the pineal of spontaneously hypertensive rats. Clin. Exp. Hypertens. A 6:1517–1528. , , , and .
- 1994. Food aversion induced by area postrema ablation. Appetite 22:205–220. , , and .
- 1972. A mathematical model to assess changes in the baroreceptor reflex. Cardiology 57:295–310. , , , and .
- 1998. Impaired basal sympathetic tone and alpha1-adrenergic responsiveness in association with the hypotensive effect of melatonin in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Am. J. Hypertens. 11:219–229. , , , and .
- 1983. Organization of the projections of a circumventricular organ: the area postrema in the rat. J. Comp. Neurol. 219:328–338. , and .
- 1998. Pinealectomy causes glucose intolerance and decreases adipose cell responsiveness to insulin in rats. Am. J. Physiol. 275:E934–E941. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Melatonin and sex hormone interrelationships – a review. J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 12:355–362. , and .
- 1990. Day and night blood pressure values in normotensive and essential hypertensive subjects assessed by twenty-four-hour ambulatory monitoring. J. Hypertens. Suppl. 8:S49–S55. , , , , and .
- 1998. The effect of melatonin chronic treatment upon macrophage and lymphocyte metabolism and function in Walker-256 tumour-bearing rats. J. Neuroimmunol. 82:81–89. , , , , and .
- 2007. The NTS and integration of cardiovascular control during exercise in normotensive and hypertensive individuals. Curr. Hypertens. Rep. 9:214–221.
- 2007. Blood pressure modulation and cardiovascular protection by melatonin: potential mechanisms behind. Physiol. Res. 56:671–684. , and .
- 1985. Bregma, lambda and the interaural midpoint in stereotaxic surgery with rats of different sex, strain and weight. J. Neurosci. Methods 13:139–143. , , , and .
- 2011. Expression of circadian clock and melatonin receptors within cultured rat cardiomyocytes. Chronobiol. Int. 28:21–30. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Melatonin and biological rhythms. Biol. Signals Recept. 9:203–212.
- 1998. Role of endogenous nitric oxide in the nucleus tratus solitarii on baroreflex control of heart rate in spontaneously hypertensive rats. J. Hypertens. 16:1993–1999. , , , and .
- 1993. The melatonin rhythm: both a clock and a calendar. Experientia 49:654–664.
- 1999. Melatonin in relation to the antioxidative defense and immune systems: possible implications for cell and organ transplantation. J. Mol. Med. 77:36–39. , and .
- 2011. The presence and localization of melatonin receptors in the rat aorta. Cell. Mol. Neurobiol. 31:1257–1265. , , , , and .
- 1985. The central neural connections of the area postrema of the rat. J. Comp. Neurol. 234:344–364. , and .
- 2007. Melatonin as a potential antihypertensive treatment. J. Pineal Res. 42:319–322. , and .
- 2000. Prognostic value of ambulatory blood pressure: current evidence and clinical implications. Hypertension 35:844–851.
- 1989. Localization and characterization of melatonin receptors in rodent brain by in vitro autoradiography. J. Neurosci. 9:2581–2590. , , and .
- 1999a. Ambulatory blood pressure as a predictor of target organ disease and outcome in the hypertensive patient. Blood Press. Monit. 4:181–184.
- 1999b. How well does ambulatory blood pressure predict target-organ disease and clinical outcome in patients with hypertension? Blood Press. Monit. 4(Suppl. 2):S17–S21.
- 1989. Melatonin-binding sites in the rat brain and pituitary mapped by in-vitro autoradiography. J. Mol. Endocrinol. 3:71–75.
- 1995. Melatonin receptors in the rat brain and pituitary. J. Pineal Res. 19:173–177. , , , and .
- 1994. Area postrema excites and inhibits sympathetic-related neurons in rostral ventrolateral medulla in rabbit. Am. J. Physiol. 266:H1075–H1086. , and .
- 1967. Experimental hypertension in pinealectomized rats. Life Sci. 6:2327–2331. , and .
- 1978. Effect of pinealectomy on arterial blood pressure and food and water intake in the rat. J. Endocrinol. Invest. 1:125–130. , , , and .