Human hippocampal energy metabolism is impaired during cognitive activity in a lipid infusion model of insulin resistance
Article first published online: 15 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 134–144, March 2013
How to Cite
Emmanuel, Y., Cochlin, L. E., Tyler, D. J., de Jager, C. A., David Smith, A. and Clarke, K. (2013), Human hippocampal energy metabolism is impaired during cognitive activity in a lipid infusion model of insulin resistance. Brain and Behavior, 3: 134–144. doi: 10.1002/brb3.124
- Issue published online: 14 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 15 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 11 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 AUG 2012
- British Heart Foundation
- Department of Health
- 1999. The insulin receptor tyrosine kinase substrate p58/53 and the insulin receptor are components of CNS synapses. J. Neurosci. 19:7300–7308. , , and .
- 1997. Dual-task performance in dysexecutive and nondysexecutive patients with a frontal lesion. Neuropsychology 11:187–194. , , , and .
- 2011. Insulin resistance and Alzheimer-like reductions in regional cerebral glucose metabolism for cognitively normal adults with prediabetes or early type 2 diabetes. Arch. Neurol. 68:51–57. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Dose-response effect of elevated plasma free fatty acid on insulin signaling. Diabetes 54:1640–1648. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The role of insulin in human brain glucose metabolism: an 18fluoro-deoxyglucose positron emission tomography study. Diabetes 51:3384–3390. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. The Hopkins verbal learning test: development of a new memory test with six equivalent forms. Clin. Neuropsychol. 5:125–142.
- 1993. Localized 1H NMR measurement of glucose consumption in the human brain during visual stimulation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90:9896–9900. , , , , and .
- 1999. The effects of free fatty acids on gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis in normal subjects. J. Clin. Invest. 103:365–372. , , and .
- 2005. Glucose transporter plasticity during memory processing. Neuroscience 130:591–600. , , , , and .
- 1986. Insulin is released from rat brain neuronal cells in culture. J. Neurochem. 47:831–836. , , , , and .
- 1994. Insulin gene expression and insulin synthesis in mammalian neuronal cells. J. Biol. Chem. 269:8445–8454. , , , , , and .
- 2010. The PI3K signaling pathway mediates the biological effects of leptin. Arg. Bras. Endocrinol. Metabol. 54:591–602. , , and .
- 2005. Insulin receptor signaling in long-term memory consolidation following spatial learning. Learn. Mem. 12:646–655. , , , , and .
- 1999. Effects of free fatty acids on glucose transport and IRS-1–associated phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase activity. J. Clin. Invest. 103:253–259. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Insulin in central nervous system: more than just a peripheral hormone. J. Aging Res. 2012:384017. , , and .
- 1997. NIDDM and blood pressure as risk factors for poor cognitive performance. The Framingham study. Diabetes Care 20:1388–1395. , , , , , , et al.
- 1988. Nonoxidative glucose consumption during focal physiologic neural activity. Science 241:462–464. , , , and .
- 1985. Ambient plasma free fatty acid concentrations in noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: evidence for insulin resistance. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 61:807–811. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Insulin in the brain: sources, localization and functions. Mol. Neurobiol. 47:145–171. , , , , and .
- 2000. Facilitation of glutamatergic neurotransmission by presynaptic nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Neuropharmacology 39:2715–2725. , , , and .
- 1991. Expression of human glucose transporters in Xenopus oocytes: kinetic characterization and substrate specificities of the erythrocyte, liver, and brain isoforms. Biochemistry 30:5139–5145. , , , and .
- 2000. Is diabetes associated with cognitive impairment and cognitive decline among older women? Arch. Intern. Med. 160:174–180. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Insulin-stimulated translocation of GLUT4 to the plasma membrane in rat hippocampus is PI3-kinase dependent. Brain Res. 1296:35–45. , , , and .
- 2007. A model for fatty acid transport into the brain. J. Mol. Neurosci. 33:12–17. , and .
- 1999. No effect of insulin on glucose blood-brain barrier transport and cerebral metabolism in humans. Diabetes 48:1915–1921. , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Insulin receptors are widely distributed in the central nervous system of the rat. Nature 272:827–829. , , and .
- 2011. Effects of insulin on brain glucose metabolism in impaired glucose tolerance. Diabetes 60:443–447. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. NMDA receptor-dependent synaptic translocation of insulin receptor substrate p53 via protein kinase C signaling. J. Neurosci. 25:2670–2681. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Postprandial glucose, insulin, and incretin responses to grain products in healthy subjects. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 75:254–262. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Increased brain fatty acid uptake in metabolic syndrome. Diabetes 59:2171–2177. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Insulin biosynthesis in neuronal progenitors derived from adult hippocampus and the olfactory bulb. EMBO Mol. Med. 3:742–754. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Discrete brain areas express the insulin-responsive glucose transporter GLUT4. Mol. Brain Res. 38:45–53. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Molar quantitation of hepatic metabolites in vivo in proton-decoupled, nuclear overhauser effect enhanced 31P NMR spectra localized by three-dimensional chemical shift imaging. NMR Biomed. 9:141–155. , , , , and .
- 2011. Brain insulin signaling: a key component of cognitive processes and a potential basis for cognitive impairment in type 2 diabetes. Neurobiol. Learn. Mem. 96:432–442. , and .
- 2000. Decreases in rat extracellular hippocampal glucose concentration associated with cognitive demand during a spatial task. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97:2881–2885. , , and .
- 2010. Hippocampal memory processes are modulated by insulin and high-fat-induced insulin resistance. Neurobiol. Learn. Mem. 93:546–553. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Fatty acid transport protein expression in human brain and potential role in fatty acid transport across human brain microvessel endothelial cells. J. Neurochem. 117:735–746. , , , , and .
- 1994. Facilitative glucose transporters. FEBS J. 219:713–725.
- 2001. Java-based graphical user interface for MRUI, a software package for quantitation of in vivo/medical magnetic resonance spectroscopy signals. Comput. Biol. Med. 31:269–286. , , , , and .
- 1994. Essential role of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase in insulin-induced glucose transport and antilipolysis in rat adipocytes. Studies with a selective inhibitor wortmannin. J. Biol. Chem. 269:3568–3573. , , , , and .
- 2010. The procognitive effects of leptin in the brain and their clinical implications. Int. J. Clin. Pract. 64:1808–1812. , , and .
- 2001. Accurate phosphorus metabolite images of the human heart by 3D acquisition-weighted CSI. Magn. Reson. Med. 45:817–826. , and .
- 1963. The glucose fatty-acid cycle, its role in insulin sensitivity and the metabolic disturbances of diabetes mellitus. Lancet 281:785–789. , , , and .
- 2001. Delivery and turnover of plasma-derived essential PUFAs in mammalian brain. J. Lipid Res. 2001:678–685. , , and .
- 2005. Neuronal insulin signal transduction mechanisms in diabetes phenotypes. Neurobiol. Aging 26:56–59.
- 1999. Rapid impairment of skeletal muscle glucose transport/phosphorylation by free fatty acids in humans. Diabetes 48:358–364. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Murine glial cells regenerate NAD, after peroxide-induced depletion, using either nicotinic acid, nicotinamide, or quinolinic acid as substrates. J. Neurochem. 70:1759–1763.
- 1991. Decomposing adult age differences in working memory. Dev. Psychol. 27:763–776. , and .
- 1999. Stimulation of immunoreactive insulin release by glucose in rat brain synaptosomes. Neurochem. Res. 24:33–36. , , and .
- 2000. Cellular mechanisms of insulin resistance. J. Clin. Invest. 106:171–176.
- 1994. Extracellular glucose concentration in mammalian brain: continuous monitoring of changes during increased neuronal activity and upon limitation in oxygen supply in normo-, hypo-, and hyperglycaemic animals. J. Neurosci. 14:5068–5076. , and .
- 2007. Supply and demand in cerebral energy metabolism: the role of nutrient transporters. J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 27:1766–1791. , , and .
- 1989. The Stroop neuropsychological screening test. Psychological Assessment Resources, Odessa, Florida. , , , and .
- 1991. Insulin receptors in the central nervous system: localization, signalling mechanisms and functional aspects. Prog. Neurobiol. 36:343–362. , , and .
- 1997. Improved method for accurate and efficient quantification of mrs data with use of prior knowledge. J. Magn. Reson. 129:35–43. , , and .
- 1994. Developmental expression of GLUT1 and GLUT3 glucose transporters in rat brain. J. Neurochem. 62:240–246.
- 1981. Manual for the Wechsler adult intelligence scale-revised. Psychological Corporation, New York.
- 1985. The Rivermead behavioral memory test. Thames Valley Test Company, Reading, U.K. , , and .
- 1999. Brain insulin receptors and spatial memory. Correlated changes in gene expression, tyrosine phosphorylation, and signaling molecules in the hippocampus of water maze trained rats. J. Biol. Chem. 274:34893–34902. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Insulin action on glucose transport and plasma membrane GLUT4 content in skeletal muscle from patients with NIDDM. Diabetologia 39:1180–1189. , , , , , and .