A balancing act of the brain: activations and deactivations driven by cognitive load
Article first published online: 2 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 273–285, May 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2013; 3(3):273–285.
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 2 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 APR 2012
- 2010. Executive functions underlying multiplicative reasoning: problem type matters. J. Exp. Child Psychol. 105:286–305. , , and .
- 2010. Misleading cues improve developmental assessment of working memory capacity: the colour matching tasks. Cogn. Dev. 25:262–277. , , and .
- 2002. La decision. Odile Jacob, Paris.
- 2008. The brain's default network anatomy, function and relevance to disease. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 1124:1–38. , , and .
- 2000. Cognitive and emotional influences in anterior cingulate cortex. Trends Cogn. Sci. 4:215–222. , , and .
- 2000. The frontopolar cortex and human cognition: evidence for a rostrocaudal hierarchical organization within the human prefrontal cortex. Psychobiology 28:168–186. , and .
- 2005. Working memory capacity. Psychology Press, New York.
- 1996. AFNI: software for analysis and visualization of functional magnetic resonance neuroimages. Comput. Biomed. Res. 29:162–173.
- 2000. A universe of consciousness. Basic Books, New York. , and .
- 2001. What is working-memory capacity? Pp. 297–314 in H. L. Roediger III and J. S. Nairne, eds. The nature of remembering: essays in honor of Robert G. Crowder. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC.
- 2004. Executive attention, working memory capacity, and a two-factor theory of cognitive control. Pp. 145–199 in B. Ross, ed. The psychology of learning and motivation, Vol. 44. Elsevier, NY. , and .
- 2001. Developmental aspects of pediatric fMRI: considerations for image acquisition, analysis, and interpretation. Neuroimage 13:239–249. , , and .
- 1974. The processing of information and structure. Lawrence Erlbaum, Potomac, Maryland.
- 2003. Functional connectivity in the resting brain: a network analysis of the default mode hypothesis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100:253–258. , , , and .
- 1998. Processing capacity defined by relational complexity: implications for comparative, developmental, and cognitive psychology. Brain Behav. Sci. 21:803–864. , , and .
- 2007. Separating cognitive capacity from knowledge: a new hypothesis. Trends Cogn. Sci. 11:236–242. , , and .
- 1999. Range effects of an irrelevant dimension on classification. Percept. Psychophys. 16:1624–1645. , and .
- 2006. Processing limitations in children with specific language impairment: the role of executive function. Child Dev. 77:1822–1841. , , and .
- 1892. Psychology-briefer course. Henry Holt, New York. New edition, Harper & Row, NY, 1961.
- 2000. The influence of memory load upon delay-interval activity in a working memory task: an event-related functional MRI study. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 12(Suppl. 2):90–105. , and .
- 2003. Development of mental attention in gifted and mainstream children: the role of mental capacity, inhibition, and speed of processing. Child Dev. 74:1594–1614. , , and .
- 2005. Processes of working memory in mind and brain. Curr. Dir. Psychol. Sci. 14:2–5.Direct Link:, , and .
- 2008. Competition between functional brain networks mediates behavioural variability. Neuroimage 39:527–537. , , , , and .
- 2012. The persistence of thought: evidence for a role of working memory in the maintenance of task-unrelated thinking. Psychol. Sci. 23:375–380. , , and .
- 2009. Correlations in social neuroscience aren't voodoo: commentary on Vul et al. (2009). Perspect. Psychol. Sci. 4:299–307.Direct Link:, , and .
- 2004. An evaluation of thresholding techniques in fMRI analysis. Neuroimage 22:95–108. , and .
- 2010. Methodological approaches in developmental neuroimaging studies. Hum. Brain Mapp. 31:863–871. , , and .
- 1997. Prefrontal cortex fMRI signal changes are correlated with working memory load. Neuroreport 8:545–549. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Identifying regional activity associated with temporally separated components of working memory using event-related functional MRI. Neuroimage 20:1670–1684. , , , and .
- 2003. A parametric manipulation of factors affecting task-induced deactivation in functional neuroimaging. Cogn. Neurosci. 15:394–408. , , , and .
- 2006. Interrupting the “stream of consciousness”: an fMRI investigation. Neuroimage 29:1185–1191. , , , and .
- 1956. The magical number seven, plus or minus two: some limits on our capacity for processing information. Psychol. Rev. 63:81–97.
- 2008. Cognitive development: neo-Piagetians perspectives. Lawrence Erlbaum [Taylor & Francis], New York. , , , and .
- 2008. The thalamus and working memory. J. Int. Neuropsychol. Soc. 14:900–901.
- 1999. Transient neural activity in the medial superior frontal gyrus and precuneus time locked with attention shift between object features. Neuroimage 10:193–199. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. N-back working memory paradigm: a meta-analysis of normative functional neuroimaging studies. Hum. Brain Mapp. 25:46–59. , , , and .
- 1970. A mathematical model for the transition rule in Piaget's developmental stages. Acta Psychol. 63:301–345.
- 1994. Development measurement of mental attention. Int. J. Behav. Dev. 17:161–200. , and .
- 1989. Mental capacity testing as a form of intellectual-developmental assessment. Pp. 144–171 in R. Samuda, S. Kong, J. Cummings, J. Pascual-Leone and J. Lewis, eds. Assessment and placement of minority students. C. J. Hogrefe, Lewiston, NY. , and .
- 2005. A dialectical constructivist view of developmental intelligence. Pp. 177–201 in O. Wilhelm and R. Engle, eds. Handbook of understanding and measuring intelligence. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA. , and .
- 2011. A developmental theory of mental attention: its applications to measurement and task analysis. Pp. 13–46 in P. Barrouillet and V. Gaillard, eds. Cognitive development and working memory: a dialogue between neo-Piagetian and cognitive approaches. Psychology Press, New York. , and .
- 2000. Culture-fair assessment and the processes of mental attention. Pp. 191–214 in S. Kozulin and Y. Rand, eds. Experience od mediated learning: an impact of Feurstein's theory in eduction and psychology. Pergamon, Elmsford, NY. , , , , and .
- 2007. Age differences in deactivation: a link to cognitive control. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 19:1021–1032. , , , and .
- 1973. Stimulus configuration in selective attention tasks. Percept. Psychophys. 14:565–569. , and .
- 2004. Comparison of spiral-in/out and spiral-out BOLD fMRI at 1.5 and 3 T. Neuroimage 21:291–301. , , , , and .
- 2002. Appraising the brain's energy budget. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99:10237–10239. , and .
- 2001. A default mode of brain function. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98:676–682. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Load-dependent roles of frontal brain regions in the maintenance of working memory. Neuroimage 9:216–226. , , , , and .
- 2002. The influence of working-memory demand and subject performance on prefrontal cortical activity. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 14:721–731. , , and .
- 2002. The role of the thalamus in the flow of information to the cortex. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 357:1695–1708. , and .
- 1997. Common blood flow changes across visual tasks: II decreases in cerebral cortex. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 9:648–663. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Transient and linearly graded deactivation of the human default-mode network by a visual detection task. Neuroimage 41:100–112. , and .
- 2009. The common neural basis of autobiographical memory, prospection, navigation, theory of mind, and the default mode: a quantitative meta-analysis. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 21:489–510. , , and .
- 2008. A critical role for the right fronto-insular cortex in switching between central-executive and default-mode networks. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105:12569–12574. , , and .
- 1966. High-speed scanning in human memory. Science 153:652–654.
- 2009. The anterior insula in autism: under-connected and under-examined. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 33:1198–1203. , and .
- 1982. Two cortical visual systems. Pp. 549–586 in D. J. Ingle, M. A. Goodale and R. J. W. Mansfield, eds. Analysis of visual behavior. MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass. , and .
- 2001. Functional specificity of superior parietal mediation of spatial shifting. Neuroimage 14:661–673. , , , and .
- 2009. Puzzling high correlations in fMRI studies of emotion, personality, and social cognition. Perspect. Psychol. Sci. 4:274–290.Direct Link:, , , and .
- 1998. Three cortical stages of colour processing in the human brain. Brain 121:1669–1685. , and .