Do not throw out the baby with the bath water: choosing an effective baseline for a functional localizer of speech processing
Article first published online: 17 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 211–222, May 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2013; 3(3):211–222.
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 17 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 23 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 31 JUL 2012
- Israel Science Foundation. Grant Number: 513/11
- Marie Curie International Reintegration Grant. Grant Number: DNLP 231029
- 2003. Auditory comprehension of language in young children: neural networks identified with fMRI. Neurology 60:1598–1605. , , , , and .
- 2000. Brodmann's areas 17 and 18 brought into stereotaxic space-where and how variable? Neuroimage 11:66–84. , , , , and .
- 2010. Neural mechanisms for voice recognition. Neuroimage 52:1528–1540. , , , , , and .
- 1977. It's me. Keter, Jerusalem.
- 2006. Language lateralization and the role of the fusiform gyrus in semantic processing in young children. Neuroimage 31:1306–1314. , , and .
- 2000. Voice-selective areas in human auditory cortex. Nature 403:309–312. , , , , and .
- 2003. The neural reality of syntactic transformations: evidence from functional magnetic resonance imaging. Psychol. Sci. 14:433–440.Direct Link:, , , , and .
- 2004. Neural correlates of syntactic movement: converging evidence from two fMRI experiments. Neuroimage 21:1320–1336. , , and .
- 2011. The development of cortical sensitivity to visual word forms. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 23:2387–2399. , , , and .
- 2008. Neural correlates of morphological processes in Hebrew. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 20:406–420. , , and .
- 2011. From research to clinical practice: implementation of functional magnetic imaging and white matter tractography in the clinical environment. J. Neurol. Sci. 312:158–165. , , and .
- 1994. Functional magnetic resonance imaging of human auditory cortex. Ann. Neurol. 35:662–672. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Human temporal lobe activation by speech and nonspeech sounds. Cereb. Cortex 10:512–528. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A comparison of five fMRI protocols for mapping speech comprehension systems. Epilepsia 49:1980–1997. , , , and .
- 2009. Reduced language lateralization in first-episode schizophrenia: an fMRI index of functional asymmetry. Psychiatry Res. 171:82–93. , , , and .
- 2008. Presurgical functional mapping with functional MRI. Curr. Opin. Neurol. 21:446–451. , and .
- 2003. Discovering words in the continuous speech stream: the role of prosody. J. Phon. 31:585–598. , , , and .
- 2000. The visual word form area: spatial and temporal characterization of an initial stage of reading in normal subjects and posterior split-brain patients. Brain 123:291–307. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Do vegetative patients retain aspects of language comprehension? Evidence from fMRI. Brain 130:2494–2507. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Right anterior superior temporal activation predicts auditory sentence comprehension following aphasic stroke. Brain 128:2858–2871. , and .
- 2003. Temporal lobe regions engaged during normal speech comprehension. Brain 126:1193–1201. , , , , and .
- 1999. Optimal experimental design for event-related fMRI. Hum. Brain Mapp. 8:109–114.
- 2003. Hierarchical processing in spoken language comprehension. J. Neurosci. 23:3423–3431. , and .
- 2007. Dissociating speech perception and comprehension at reduced levels of awareness. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:16032–16037. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Does semantic context benefit speech understanding through “top-down” processes? Evidence from time-resolved sparse fMRI. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 23:3914–3932. , , , and .
- 1997. Anatomical variability in the cortical representation of first and second language. NeuroReport 8:3809–3815. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Functional neuroimaging of speech perception in infants. Science 298:2013–2015. , , and .
- 2012. Phoneme and word recognition in the auditory ventral stream. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 109:E505–E514. , and .
- 2009. Consistency and variability in functional localisers. Neuroimage 46:1018–1026. , , , and .
- 1994. fMRI of human visual cortex. Nature 369:525. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. New method for fMRI investigations of language: defining ROIs functionally in individual subjects. J. Neurophysiol. 104:1177–1194. , , , , and .
- 2009. Defining the face processing network: optimization of the functional localizer in fMRI. Hum. Brain Mapp. 30:1637–1651. , , and .
- 2011. The brain basis of language processing: from structure to function. Physiol. Rev. 91:1357–1392.
- 1974. The stars are the children of the moon. Dvir, Tel Aviv.
- 2007. The cortical organization of speech processing. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 8:393–402. , and .
- 1997. Cortical activation by monaural speech sound stimulation demonstrated by positron emission tomography. Exp. Brain Res. 113:75–80. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. The fusiform face area: a module in human extrastriate cortex specialized for face perception. J. Neurosci. 17:4302–4311. , , and .
- 2008. Possible remote functional reorganization in left temporal lobe epilepsy. Acta Neurol. Scand. 117:324–331. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The cortical dynamics of intelligible speech. J. Neurosci. 28:13209–13215. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Topographic mapping of a hierarchy of temporal receptive windows using a narrated story. J. Neurosci. 31:2906–2915. , , , and .
- 2010. Speech versus non-speech as irrelevant sound: controlling acoustic variation. Biol. Psychol. 85:62–70. , , and .
- 1999. Functional neuroimaging of speech perception in six normal and two aphasic subjects. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 106:449–457. , , , and .
- 2003. Defining a left-lateralized response specific to intelligible speech using fMRI. Cereb. Cortex 13:1362–1368. , , , , , , et al.
- 1971. The assessment and analysis of handedness: the Edinburgh inventory. Neuropsychologia 9:97–113.
- 2010. Evaluating an acoustically quiet EPI sequence for use in fMRI studies of speech and auditory processing. Neuroimage 52:1410–1419. , , , , and .
- 2003. Sounds and silence: an optical topography study of language recognition at birth. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100:11702–11705. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Brain processing of native and foreign languages. Neuroreport 7:2439–2444. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Hearing and saying. The functional neuro-anatomy of auditory word processing. Brain 119:919–931. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Speech-specific auditory processing: where is it? Trends Cogn. Sci. 9:271–276. , , and .
- 2001. Probabilistic mapping and volume measurement of human primary auditory cortex. Neuroimage 13:669–683. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Language discrimination by human newborns and by cotton-top tamarin monkeys. Science 288:349–351. , , , , and .
- 2009. Reading impairment in a patient with missing arcuate fasciculus. Neuropsychologia 47:180–194. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Functional neuroimaging of speech perception during a pivotal period in language acquisition. Dev. Sci. 11:237–252. , , and .
- 2005. The neural mechanisms of speech comprehension: fMRI studies of semantic ambiguity. Cereb. Cortex 15:1261–1269. , , and .
- 2006. Divide and conquer: a defense of functional localizers. Neuroimage 30:1088–1096; discussion 1097-9. , , and .
- 1968. Reference signal for signal quality studies. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 44:1735–1736.
- 2003. The neuroanatomical and functional organization of speech perception. Trends Neurosci. 26:100–107. , and .
- 2000. Identification of a pathway for intelligible speech in the left temporal lobe. Brain 123:2400–2406. , , , and .
- 2008. Phonological working memory with auditory presentation of pseudo-words – an event related fMRI Study. Brain Res. 1212:48–54. , , , and .
- 2007. Functional magnetic resonance imaging of language in epilepsy. Neuropsychol. Rev. 17:491–504. , , , and .
- 2011. Spatiotemporal neural dynamics of word understanding in 12- to 18-month-old-infants. Cereb. Cortex 21:1832–1839. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Puzzlingly high correlations in fMRI studies of emotion, personality, and social cognition. Perspect. Psychol. Sci. 4:274–290.Direct Link:, , , and .
- 2009. Anterior temporal lobe connectivity correlates with functional outcome after aphasic stroke. Brain 132:3428–3442. , , , and .
- 2006. An fMRI task battery for assessing hemispheric language dominance in children. Neuroimage 32:400–410. , , , , , and .
- 1999. PET imaging of cochlear-implant and normal-hearing subjects listening to speech and nonspeech. Hear. Res. 132:34–42. , , , , and .
- 2010. Functional overlap between regions involved in speech perception and in monitoring one's own voice during speech production. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 22:1770–1781. , , and .