Pilot data on telmisartan short-term effects on glucose metabolism in the olfactory tract in Alzheimer's disease
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
©2011 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 63–69, November 2011
How to Cite
Imabayashi, E., Matsuda, H., Yoshimaru, K., Kuji, I., Seto, A., Shimano, Y., Ito, K., Kikuta, D., Shimazu, T. and Araki, N. (2011), Pilot data on telmisartan short-term effects on glucose metabolism in the olfactory tract in Alzheimer's disease. Brain and Behavior, 1: 63–69. doi: 10.1002/brb3.13
- Issue published online: 31 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
- Received: 19 April 2011; Revised: 26 July 2011; Accepted: 27 July 2011
- 2008. Density and cross-sectional areas of axons in the olfactory tract in control subjects and Alzheimer's disease: an image analysis study. Neurol. Sci. 29:23–27. , , and .
- 2004. Identification of telmisartan as a unique angiotensin II receptor antagonist with selective PPARgamma-modulating activity. Hypertension 43:993–1002. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1991. Neuropathological staging of Alzheimer-related changes. Acta Neuropathol. 82:239–259. , and .
- 2010. The anterior olfactory nucleus: quantitative study of dendritic morphology. J. Comp. Neurol. 1:1603–1616. , and .
- 2004. Peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor gamma induces a clearance mechanism for the amyloid-beta peptide. J. Neurosci. 1:10908–10917 , , , , , and .
- 2008. Olfaction in patients with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol. Aging 29:693–706. , , , and .
- 2010. Revising the definition of Alzheimer's disease: a new lexicon. Lancet Neurol. 9:1118–1127. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Comparing functional (PET) images: the assessment of significant change. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 11:690–699. , , , and .
- 1993. Assessing the significance of focal activations using their spatial extent. Hum. Brain Mapping 1:210 –220. , , , , and .
- 2002. The role of angiotensin II in cognition and behaviour. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 1:1–14.
- 2004. Angiotensin as a target for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, anxiety and depression. Expert Opin. Ther. Targets 8:7–14.
- 2005. Acute treatment with the PPARgamma agonist pioglitazone and ibuprofen reduces glial inflammation and Abeta1–42 levels in APPV717I transgenic mice. Brain 128:1442–53. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Glial regulation of the cerebral microvasculature. Nat. Neurosci. 10:1369–1376. , and .
- 2007. Is inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system a new treatment option for Alzheimer's disease? Lancet Neurol. 6:373–378. , and .
- 2003. Noradrenaline induces expression of peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma (PPARgamma) in murine primary astrocytes and neurons. J. Neurochem. 86:907–916. , , , , , , .
- 2007. The prevention of the dementia epidemic. J. Neurol. Sci. 15:2–4. , and .
- 1999. b-Amyloid deposition and neurofibrillary tangle formation in the olfactory bulb in ageing and Alzheimer's disease. Neuropathol. Appl. Neurobiol. 25:481–491. , , and .
- 2004. Sustained antihypertensive activity of telmisartan compared with valsartan. Blood Press. Monit. 9:203–210. , , , , .
- 2007. Therapeutic use of agonists of the nuclear receptor PPARgamma in Alzheimer's disease. Curr. Alzheimer Res. 4:159–164.
- 2008. Olfactory pathogenesis of idiopathic Parkinson disease revisited. Mov. Disord. 15:1076–1084. , and .
- 2010. Disruption of odour quality coding in piriform cortex mediates olfactory deficits in Alzheimer's disease. Brain 133:2714–2126. , , and .
- 2005. Regulation of inflammatory response in neural cells in vitro by thiadiazolidinones derivatives through peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma activation. J. Biol. Chem. 3:21453–21462. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Telmisartan prevented cognitive decline partly due to PPAR-gamma activation. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 24:446–449. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ ligands regulate neural stem cell proliferation and differentiation in vitro and in vivo. Glia. 59:293–307. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Hypertension and cognitive function. Blood pressure regulation and cognitive function: a review of the literature. Geriatrics 60:20–24.
- 1985. Anatomical correlates of the distribution of the pathological changes in the neocortex in Alzheimer's disease. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 82:4531–4534. , , , , and .
- 2004. Olfactory system. Pp. 1197–1211 in G. R. Paxinos, ed. The human nervous system 2nd. Academic Press, New York .
- 1991. The distribution of tangles, plaques and related immunohistochemical markers in healthy aging and Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol. 12:295–312. , , , and .
- 2005. Somatostatin regulates brain amyloid beta peptide Abeta42 through modulation of proteolytic degradation. Nat. Med. 11:434–439. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Somatostatin, tau, and beta-amyloid within the anterior olfactory nucleus in Alzheimer disease. Exp. Neurol. 223:347–350. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Changes in cerebral glucose utilization in patients with panic disorder treated with cognitive-behavioral therapy. Neuroimage 33:218–226. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs repress beta-secretase gene promoter activity by the activation of PPARgamma. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 10:443–448. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1988. Co-planar stereotactic atlas of the human brain. 1st ed. Thieme, Stuttgart , Germany . pp. 37–110. , and .
- 2006. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma-mediated regulation of neural stem cell proliferation and differentiation. J. Biol. Chem. 5:12673–12681. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Constitutive activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma suppresses pro-inflammatory adhesion molecules in human vascular endothelial cells. J. Biol. Chem. 13:34176–34181. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Preserved cognition in patients with early Alzheimer disease and amnestic mild cognitive impairment during treatment with rosiglitazone: a preliminary study. Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry 13:950–958. , , , , , , , , , and .