Crucifixion and median neuropathy
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 243–248, May 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2013; 3(3):243–248.
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 28 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 AUG 2012
- The Medical Illustration
- The National Gallery of Art
- 1915. The golden ass; being the Metamorphoses of Lucius Apuleius. W. Heinemann, London, pp. 3 p. l., v–xxiv, 607,  p. , , and .
- Sé Cathedral, Chapel of Our Lady of Doloures, altar. Goa, India, p gilt and painted wood altar with painting and sculptures of Crucifixion and Mary. , and . 16th–17th century.
- 1953. A doctor at Calvary: the passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ as described by a surgeon. Doubleday Image Books, Garden City, NY, pp. 12–18, 37–147, 159–175, 187–208.
- Bawit. 6th century. Icon with Gospel scenes orignally lid of reliquary casket. Repository: musée du Louvre. Data from University of California, San Diego, CA.
- 1948. Did Jesus die of a broken heart? Calvin Forum 14:153–163.
- 1963. The medical aspects of the crucifixion of Christ. Acta Med. Leg. Soc. (Liege) 16:69–75.
- 2002. Strain in the median and ulnar nerves during upper-extremity positioning. J. Hand. Surg. Am. 27:1032–1040. , , , , and .
- Byzantine. 8th–9th century. Reliquary of the true cross (Staurotheke). In The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917, Constantinople, pp Cloisonné enamel, silver, silver-gilt, gold, niello.
- 1992. Nerve tension and blood flow in a rat model of immediate and delayed repairs. J. Hand. Surg. Am. 17A:677–687. , , , and .
- 2002. Positioning in anesthesiology: toward a better understanding of stretch-induced perioperative neuropathies. Anesthesiology 97:75–81. , , and .
- 1965. The crucifixion of Jesus. The passion of Christ from a medical point of view. Ariz. Med. 22:183–187.
- 1976. A physician testifies about the crucifixion. In The Review of the NEWS.
- 1963. Death by crucifixion. Am. Heart J. 66:434–435. , and .
- 1986. On the physical death of Jesus Christ. JAMA 255:1455–1463. , , and .
- 1900. P. xii in Horns of honour and other studies in the by-ways of archaeology. J. Murray, London, 315 pp.
- 1971. Pp. 572–573, 632 in Theological dictionary of the new testament. W.B. Eerdmans, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- 2007. Crucifixion. Pp. 309–310 in M. B. Fred Skolnik, ed. Encyclopedia Judaica. Macmillan Reference USA in association with the Keter Pub., Detroit. , and .
- 1970. Anthropological observations on the skeletal remains from Giv'at ha-Mivtar. Isr. Explor. J. 20:38–59.
- 1977. Pp. 22–45, 86–90 in Crucfixion in the ancient world and the folly of the message of the cross. Fortress Press, Philadelphia.
- 1994. Pp. 81–120 in The Turin shroud is genuine. Souvenir Press, London.
- 1995. Execution by crucifixion. History, methods and cause of death. J. Med. 26:1–16. , and .
- 1909. Pp. 312–314 in The new Schaff-Herzog encyclopedia of religious knowledge. Funk & Wagnalls, New York.
- 1995. Mechanical tension in the median nerve. The effects of joint positions. Clin. Biomech. (Bristol, Avon) 10:240–244. , , , , and .
- 1925. A physiological study of the passion of our Lord Jesus Christ. Cathol. Med. Guard. 3:126–136.
- 1978. The physical suffering of Christ. J. Med. Assoc. Ala. 47:8–10, 47.
- 1973. Effects of stretching the tibial nerve of the rabbit. A preliminary study of the intraneural circulation and the barrier function of the perineruium. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 55B:390–401. , and .
- 1986. Blood flow of peripheral nerve effects of dissection, stretching and compression. J. Hand. Surg. Am. 11B:10–14. , and .
- 2002. The science of the crucfixion. In T. Flint, ed. In focus. Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA.
- 1871. Pp. 28–156, 489–494 in Treatise on the physical cause of the death of christ and its relation to the principles and practice of christianity. Hamilton and Adams, London.
- 1996. Acute stretching of peripheral nerves inhibits retrograde axonal transport. J. Bone Joint Surg. Br. 21:358–363. , , , and .
- 1964. On death by crucifixion. Am. Heart J. 68:286–287.
- 1971. Jewish tombs at and near Giv'at ha'Miv Jerusalem. Isr. Explor. J. 20:18–22.
- 1992. Experimental stretch neuropathy: changes in nerve conduction under tension. J. Bone Joint Surg. Br. 74:126–129. , , , , , and .
- 1980. The mystery of the shroud. Natl. Geogr. 157:730–753.
- 1935. The physical cause of the death of our Lord. Cathol. Med. Guard. 13:83–91.
- 1996. Excursion and strain of the median nerve. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 78:1897–1903. , , , , and .
- 1985. The crucified man from Giv'at ha-Mivtar – a reprisal. Isr. Explor. J. 26:22–57. , and .
- 1989. Death by crucifixion. Can. Soc. Forensic Sci. 17:1–13.