Assessing temporal processing of facial emotion perception with transcranial magnetic stimulation
Article first published online: 26 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 263–272, May 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2013; 3(3):263–272.
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 26 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 13 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 NOV 2012
- NIH R21. Grant Number: MH082303
- NARSAD Young Investigator Award
- National Center for Research Resources (NCRR). Grant Numbers: RR12169, RR13642, RR00865
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- 2003. Cognitive neuroscience of human social behaviour. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 4:165–178.
- 1989. Suppression of visual-perception by magnetic coil stimulation of human occipital cortex. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 74:458–462. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Measurement of information-processing delays in human visual-cortex with repetitive magnetic coil stimulation. Brain Res. 605:317–321. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Pulse configuration-dependent effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation on visual perception. NeuroReport 13:2229–2233. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Top-down facilitation of visual recognition. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103:3007–3007. , , , , , , et al.
- 1985. Non-invasive magnetic stimulation of human motor cortex. Lancet 1:1106–1107. , and .
- 2009. Emotion improves and impairs early vision. Psychol. Sci. 20:707–713.Direct Link:, and .
- 1984. Visual masking: an integrative approach. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1976. Implications of sustained and transient channels for theories of visual pattern masking, saccadic suppression, and information processing. Psychol. Rev. 83:1–36. , and .
- 2004. A comparison of masking by visual and transcranial magnetic stimulation: implications for the study of conscious and unconscious visual processing. Conscious. Cogn. 13:829–843. , , and .
- 2001. Dysfunction of early-stage visual processing in schizophrenia. Am. J. Psychiatry 158:1126–1133. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Two periods of processing in the (circum) striate visual cortex as revealed by transcranial magnetic stimulation. Neuropsychologia 37:137–145. , , , , and .
- 2002. Early visual cortical processing suggested by transcranial magnetic stimulation. NeuroReport 13:1163–1166. , , and .
- 2003. Interference with vision by TMS over the occipital pole: a fourth period. NeuroReport 14:651–655. , , and .
- 2006. Conscious, preconscious, and subliminal processing: a testable taxonomy. Trends Cogn. Sci. 10:204–211. , , , , and .
- 2000. Competition for consciousness among visual events: the psychophysics of reentrant visual processes. J. Exp. Psychol. Gen. 129:481–507. , , and .
- 2002. Emotion, cognition, and behavior. Science 298:1191–1194.
- 2000. What's new in visual masking? Trends Cogn. Sci. 4:345–352. , and .
- 2003. Facial expressions of emotion: a cognitive neuroscience perspective. Brain Cogn. 52:52–60. , and .
- 2011. Emotion in the brain: of low roads, high roads and roads less travelled. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 12. , , and .
- 2002. Development of a computerized assessment for visual masking. Int. J. Methods Psychiatr. Res. 11:83–89. , , and .
- 2005. The role of spatial frequency information for ERP components sensitive to faces and emotional facial expression. Brain Res. Cogn. Brain Res. 25:508–520. , , and .
- 1998. Cortical feedback improves discrimination between figure and background by V1, V2 and V3 neurons. Nature 394:784–787. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Distributed representation of objects in the human ventral visual pathway. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96:9379–9384. , , , , and .
- 1999. Phosphenes and transient scotomas induced by magnetic stimulation of the occipital lobe: their topographic relationship. Neuropsychologia 37:191–198.
- 2007. Masking visual stimuli by transcranial magnetic stimulation. Psychol. Res. 71:659–666.
- 1997. The fusiform face area: a module in human extrastriate cortex specialized for face perception. J. Neurosci. 17:4302–4311. , , and .
- 2005. The M, P and K pathways of the primate visual system. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 46:3583.
- 2004. Activation of the amygdala and interior cingulate during nonconscious processing of sad versus happy faces. Neuroimage 21:1215–1223. , and .
- 2000. The distinct modes of vision offered by feedforward and recurrent processing. Trends Neurosci. 23:571–579. , and .
- 2000. The role of primary visual cortex (V1) in visual awareness. Vision. Res. 40:1507–1521. , , , , and .
- 2003. The emotional brain, fear, and the amygdala. Cell. Mol. Neurobiol. 23:727–738.
- 2012. Rethinking the emotional brain. Neuron 73:653–676.
- 1978. Sustained and transient mechanisms in human-vision – temporal and spatial properties. Vision. Res. 18:69–81.
- 1993. How parallel are the primate visual pathways. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 16:369–402. , and .
- 2012. Conscious perception of emotional stimuli: brain mechanisms. Neuroscientist 18:386–398. , and .
- 2001. Suppression of perception in migraine – evidence for reduced inhibition in the visual cortex. Neurology 56:178–183. , , , , and .
- 1993. A neural theory of retino-cortical dynamics. Neural Networks 6:245–273.
- 2003. The what and where in visual masking. Vision. Res. 43:1337–1350. , , and .
- 2001. Fast backprojections from the motion to the primary visual area necessary for visual awareness. Science 292:510–512. , and .
- 2004. Differential neural responses to overt and covert presentations of facial expressions of fear and disgust. Neuroimage 21:1484–1496. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Enhanced extrastriate visual response to bandpass spatial frequency filtered fearful faces: time course and topographic evoked-potentials mapping. Hum. Brain Mapp. 26:65–79. , , , , and .
- 2004. Paracontrast and metacontrast in schizophrenia: clarifying the mechanism for visual masking deficits. Schizophr. Res. 71:485–492. , , , , and .
- 2005. Modulation of attention during visual masking in schizophrenia. Am. J. Psychiatry 162:1533–1535. , , , , and .
- 2008. Rapid interactions between the ventral visual stream and emotion-related structures rely on a two-pathway architecture. J. Neurosci. 28:2793–2803. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Magnocellular and parvocellular contributions to backward masking dysfunction in schizophrenia. Schizophr. Res. 64:91–101. , , , , and .
- 1999. Spatial frequency masking in postive- and negative-symptom schizophrenia. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 108:42–50. , and .
- 2010. Neural bases of the non-conscious perception of emotional signals. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 11:697–709. , and .
- 1988. Functional-anatomy of macaque striate cortex.5. Spatial-frequency. J. Neurosci. 8:1610–1624. , , , , and .
- 2003. Distinct spatial frequency sensitivities for processing faces and emotional expressions. Nat. Neurosci. 6:624–631. , , , and .
- 2010. Red diffuse light suppresses the accelerated perception of fear. Psychol. Sci. 21:992–999. , , , and .
- 2013. Confuse your illusion: feedback to early visual cortex contributes to perceptual completion. Psychol. Sci. 24:63–71. , , , and .