Xuezhi Cui and Ying-Qi Weng contributed equally to this manuscipt (co-first authorship).
The cell adhesion molecule L1 regulates the expression of choline acetyltransferase and the development of septal cholinergic neurons
Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2012
©2011 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 73–86, November 2011
How to Cite
Cui, X., Weng, Y.-Q., Frappé, I., Burgess, A., Girão da Cruz, M. T., Schachner, M. and Aubert, I. (2011), The cell adhesion molecule L1 regulates the expression of choline acetyltransferase and the development of septal cholinergic neurons. Brain and Behavior, 1: 73–86. doi: 10.1002/brb3.15
Current Affiliations a) Department of Physiology and Experimental Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1X38, Canada; b) Institut de Physiologie et Biologie Cellulaires, Université de Poitiers, CNRS 6187, Pôle Biologie-Santé, Poitiers, 86022, France; c) Imaging Research, Sunnybrook Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario, M4N 3M5, Canada; d) Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal
Funded by NSERCC, CIHR (funding reference number 93603), CNRP, CFI, OIT (IA), ONF Fellowship (IF), OMHF Studentship (AB), and Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia post-doctoral fellowship SFRH/BPD/14581/2003 (MTGdaC).
- Issue online: 31 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2012
- Received: 23 June 2011; Revised: 02 August 2011; Accepted: 09 August 2011
- 1988. Neural cell adhesion molecule regulates cell contact-mediated changes in choline acetyltransferase activity of embryonic chick sympathetic neurons. J. Cell Biol. 106:479–486. , and .
- 1990. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor increases survival and differentiated functions of rat septal cholinergic neurons in culture. Neuron 5:297–306. , , , and .
- 1996. The effect of continuous intraventricular infusion of L1 and NCAM antibodies on spatial learning in rats. Behav. Brain Res. 81:81–87. , , , and .
- 1998. Expression of L1 and PSA during sprouting and regeneration in the adult hippocampal formation. J. Comp. Neurol. 399:1–19. , , , , and .
- 2001. Nerve growth factor rapidly induces prolonged acetylcholine release from cultured basal forebrain neurons: differentiation between neuromodulatory and neurotrophic influences. J. Neurosci. 21:3375–3382. , , and .
- 2006. Neural cell adhesion molecule L1-transfected embryonic stem cells promote functional recovery after excitotoxic lesion of the mouse striatum. J. Neurosci. 26:11532–11539. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1985. Demonstration of immunochemical identity between the nerve growth factor-inducible large external (NILE) glycoprotein and the cell adhesion molecule L1. EMBO J. 4:2765–2768. , , , and .
- 1998. Neural cell recognition molecule L1: from cell biology to human hereditary brain malformations. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 8:87–97. , , and .
- 2006. Polysialic acid limits choline acetyltransferase activity induced by brain-derived neurotrophic factor. J. Neurochem. 99:797–806. , and .
- 2009. Stimulation of choline acetyltransferase by C3d, a neural cell adhesion molecule ligand. J. Neurosci. Res. 87:609–616. , , , and .
- 1997. Disruption of a single allele of the nerve growth factor gene results in atrophy of basal forebrain cholinergic neurons and memory deficits. J. Neurosci. 17:7288–7296. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Pathological missense mutations of neural cell adhesion molecule L1 affect neurite outgrowth and branching on an L1 substrate. Mol. Cell Neurosci. 27:522–530. , and .
- 1997. Errors in corticospinal axon guidance in mice lacking the neural cell adhesion molecule L1. Curr. Biol. 8:26–33. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Disruption of the mouse L1 gene leads to malformations of the nervous system. Nat. Genet. 17:346–349. , , , , , and .
- 2003. The L1 cell adhesion molecule is essential for topographic mapping of retinal axons. J. Neurosci. 23:530–538. , and .
- 1999. Abnormalities in neuronal process extension, hippocampal development, and the ventricular system of L1 knockout mice. J. Neurosci. 19:4907–4920. , , and .
- 2001. Altered distribution of dopaminergic neurons in the brain of L1 null mice. Dev. Brain Res. 126:21–30. , , and .
- 2003. A new role for the cell adhesion molecule L1 in neural precursor cell proliferation, differentiation, and transmitter-specific subtype generation. J. Neurosci. 23:6638–6650. , , , , and .
- 1969. Radiochemical micro assays for the determination of choline acetyltransferase and acetylcholinesterase activities. Biochem J. 115:465–472.
- 1998. L1 knockout mice show dilated ventricles, vermis hypoplasia and impaired exploration patterns. Hum. Mol. Genet. 7:999–1009. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Cell adhesion molecule L1 promotes neurite outgrowth of septal neurons. J. Neurosci. Res. 75:667–677. , , , , and .
- 1985. Cholinergic innervation of the rat hippocampus as revealed by choline acetyltransferase immunocytochemistry: a combined light and electron microscopic study. J. Comp. Neurol. 239:237–246. , and .
- 1991. Postnatal development of cholinergic neurons in the rat: I. forebrain. Brain Res. Bull. 27:767–789. , , and .
- 1989. Basic fibroblast growth factor promotes in vitro survival and cholinergic development of rat septal neurons: comparison with the effects of nerve growth factor. Neuroscience 31:649–661. , , and .
- 1989. Dissociated cholinergic neurons of the basal forebrain in culture. Pp.172–182 in A. Shahar, J. de Vellis, A. Vernadakis, and B. Haber, eds. A dissection and tissue culture manual of the nervous system. Allan R. Liss Inc, New York . , , and .
- 1995. Induction of L1 mRNA in PC12 cells by NGF is modulated by cell-cell contact and does not require the high-affinity NGF receptor. J. Neurosci. 15:2504–2512. , , and .
- 1998. Adhesion molecules and inherited diseases of the human nervous system. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 21:97–125. , , , and .
- 2003. Decreased anxiety, altered place learning, and increased CA1 basal excitatory synaptic transmission in mice with conditional ablation of the neural cell adhesion molecule L1. J. Neurosci. 23:10419–10432. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Signal transduction pathways implicated in neural recognition molecule L1 triggered neuroprotection and neuritogenesis. J. Neurochem. 92:1463–1476. , , , and .
- 2007. Neural recognition molecules of the immunoglobulin superfamily: signaling transducers of axon guidance and neuronal migration. Nat. Neurosci. 10:19–26. , and .
- 2000. Clinical mutations in the L1 neural cell adhesion molecule affect cell-surface expression. J. Neurosci. 20:5696–5702. , , and .
- 1996. Neurotrophin effects on survival and expression of cholinergic properties in cultured rat septal neurons under normal and stress conditions. J. Neurosci. 16:6665–6675. , , and .
- 2000. Brief exposure to neurotrophins produces a calcium-dependent increase in choline acetyltransferase activity in cultured rat septal neurons. J. Neurochem. 74:988–999. , , and .
- 2004. Neural cell adhesion molecule L1 is required for fasciculation and routing of thalamocortical fibres and corticothalamic fibres. Neurosci. Res. 48:471–475. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Nerve growth factor increases the synthesis and release of acetylcholine and the expression of vesicular acetylcholine transporter in primary cultured rat embryonic septal cells. J. Neurosci. Res. 57:381–387. , , and .
- 1989. The generation and differentiation of cholinergic neurons in rat caudate-putamen. Dev. Brain Res. 46:47–60. , , and .
- 1998. Optimization of serum-free culture conditions for growth of embryonic rat cholinergic basal forebrain neurons. J. Neurosci. Methods. 84:69–76. , and .
- 1991. Molecular cloning of NILE glycoprotein and evidence for its continued expression in mature rat CNS. J. Neurosci. Res. 30:567–581. , , , , and .
- 1984. Immunocytological and biochemical characterization of a new neuronal cell surface component (L1 antigen) which is involved in cell adhesion. EMBO J. 3:1–10. , and .
- 2001. Severe hydrocephalus in L1-deficient mice. Brain Res. 891:247–252. , , and .
- 2004. Reduced GABAergic transmission and number of hippocampal perisomatic inhibitory synapses in juvenile mice deficient in the neural cell adhesion molecule L1. Mol. Cell Neurosci. 26:191–203. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1983. Biochemical properties of the nerve growth factor-inducible large external (NILE) glycoprotein. J. Neurosci. 3:2420–2430. , , and .
- 2004. Cognitive impairment and cell adhesion molecules. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 5:917–930.
- 2005. Choline transporters, cholinergic transmission and cognition. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 6:48–56. , and .
- 1988. Time and origin of cholinergic neurons in the rat basal forebrain. J. Comp. Neurol. 269:87–95. , and .
- 1985. Antibody against nerve growth factor-inducible large external (NILE) glycoprotein labels nerve fiber tracts in the developing rat nervous system. J. Neurosci. 5:1090–1101. , , and .
- 2011. NCAM ablation in mice causes hippocampal dysplasia and loss of septal cholinergic neurons. J. Comp. Neurol. 519:2475–2492. , , , , and .
- 1978. Choline acetyltransferase. Acetylcholine synthesis in neurons . Chapman and Hall, London . pp. 1–258.
- 1994. Retarded growth of the medial septum: a major gene effect in acallosal mice. Dev. Brain Res 77:203–214. , and .
- 1998. p75-deficient sensory axons are immunoreactive for the glycoprotein L1 in mice overexpressing nerve growth factor. Brain Res. 798:184–194. , , and .
- 2000. BDNF is needed for postnatal maturation of basal forebrain and neostriatum cholinergic neurons in vivo. Exp. Neurol. 162:297–310. , and .
- 1993. New stereological methods for counting neurons. Neurobiol. Aging 14:275–285.
- 1995. Mutations in the cell adhesion molecule L1 cause mental retardation. Trends Neurosci. 18:168–172. , , , and .
- 2008. The length of hippocampal cholinergic fibers is reduced in the aging brain. Neurobiol. Aging 29:1666–1679. , , , and .