Differential roles of astrocyte and microglia in supporting oligodendrocyte development and myelination in vitro
Version of Record online: 9 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 5, pages 503–514, September 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2013; 3(5): 503–514
- Issue online: 12 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 9 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 23 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 APR 2013
- NIH. Grant Number: 56NS054278
- University of Mississippi Medical Center
- 2008. Oligodendroglial cells and neurotrophins: a polyphonic cantata in major and minor. J. Mol. Neurosci. 35:65–79. , , , and .
- 1992. Cell death and control of cell survival in the oligodendrocyte lineage. Cell 70:31–46. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. A crucial role for neurotrophin-3 in oligodendrocyte development. Nature 367:371–375. , , , , , and .
- 2007. p38 MAP kinase regulation of oligodendrocyte differentiation with CREB as a potential target. Neurochem. Res. 32:293–302. , , and .
- 2010. Oligodendrocytes: biology and pathology. Acta Neuropathol. 119:37–53. , and .
- 2006. Adaptive roles of programmed cell death during nervous system development. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 29:1–35. , , and .
- 2005. Inhibition of Src-like kinases reveals Akt-dependent and -independent pathways in insulin-like growth factor I-mediated oligodendrocyte progenitor survival. J. Biol. Chem. 280:8918–8928. , , , and .
- 2002. Mutant mouse models of insulin-like growth factor actions in the central nervous system. Neuropeptides 36:209–20. , , and .
- 2009. Cytokines and CNS development. Neuron 64:61–78. , and .
- 2010a. Regulation of oligodendrocyte differentiation and myelination. Science 330:779–782.
- 2010b. Transcriptional and post-transcriptional control of CNS myelination. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 20:601–607.
- 2002. New insights into neuron-glia communication. Science 298:556–562. , and .
- 2002. Cells and signaling in oligodendrocyte development. J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 61:297–306.
- 2012. Erk1/2 MAPK and mTOR signaling sequentially regulates progression through distinct stages of oligodendrocyte differentiation. Glia 60:476–86. , , and .
- 1991. Proliferation and differentiation potential of rat forebrain oligodendroglial progenitors both in vitro and in vivo. Development 111:1061–1080. , and .
- 2011. Vascular endothelial growth factor regulates the migration of oligodendrocyte precursor cells. J. Neurosci. 31:10666–10670. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Cerebral endothelial derived vascular endothelial growth factor promotes the migration but not the proliferation of oligodendrocyte precursor cells in vitro. Neurosci. Lett. 513:42–46. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Neurotrophin-3 (NT-3) modulates early differentiation of oligodendrocytes in rat brain cortical cultures. Glia 28:244–255. , , and .
- 2012. Deficiency of the microglial receptor CX3CR1 impairs postnatal functional development of thalamocortical synapses in the barrel cortex. J. Neurosci. 32:15106–15111. , , , , and .
- 2004. IGF-I instructs multipotent adult neural progenitor cells to become oligodendrocytes. J. Cell Biol. 164:111–122. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Astrocytes promote myelination in response to electrical impulses. Neuron 49:823–832. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Neuronal damage accompanies perinatal white-matter damage. Trends Neurosci. 30:473–478. , and .
- 1993. CNTF protection of oligodendrocytes against natural and tumor necrosis factor-induced death. Science 259:689–692. , , , and .
- 1994. Ciliary neurotrophic factor and leukemia inhibitory factor promote the generation, maturation and survival of oligodendrocytes in vitro. Development 20:143–153. , , and .
- 2002. Regulation of oligodendrocyte development in the vertebrate CNS. Prog. Neurobiol. 67:451–467.
- 2011. Astrocytic tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 (TIMP-1) promotes oligodendrocyte differentiation and enhances CNS myelination. J. Neurosci. 31:6247–6254. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Functional duality of astrocytes in myelination. J. Neurosci. 31:13028–13038. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Nonactivated microglia promote oligodendrocyte precursor survival and maturation through the transcription factor NF-kappa B. Eur. J. Neurosci. 13:959–967. , , and .
- 2004. Apotransferrin promotes the differentiation of two oligodendroglial cell lines. Glia 46:207–217. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Effects of lipopolysaccharide on oligodendrocyte progenitor cells are mediated by astrocytes and microglia. J. Neurosci. Res. 62:510–520. , , and .
- 2007. IGF-1 protects oligodendrocyte progenitors against TNFalpha-induced damage by activation of PI3K/Akt and interruption of the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway. Glia 55:1099–1107. , , , , and .
- 2010. Lipopolysaccharide-activated microglia induce death of oligodendrocyte progenitor cells and impede their development. Neuroscience 66:464–475. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Neuron-oligodendrocyte myelination co-culture derived from embryonic rat spinal cord and cerebral cortex. Brain Behav. 2:53–67. , , , , , and .
- 2010. CXCR4 promotes differentiation of oligodendrocyte progenitors and remyelination. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107:11062–11067. , , , and .
- 2005. Differentiation of immature oligodendrocytes is regulated by phosphorylation of cyclic AMP-response element binding protein by a protein kinase C signaling cascade. J. Neurosci. Res. 80:767–776. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Long-term culture of purified postnatal oligodendrocyte precursor cells. Evidence for an intrinsic maturation program that plays out over months. J. Cell Biol. 148:971–984. , , and .
- 2009. Brain injury in premature infants: a complex amalgam of destructive and developmental disturbances. Lancet Neurol. 8:110–124.
- 2008. Reprint of “The developing oligodendrocyte: key cellular target in brain injury in the premature infant”. Int. J. Dev. Neurosci. 29:565–582. , , , and .
- 2008. Distinct stages of myelination regulated by gamma-secretase and astrocytes in a rapidly myelinating CNS coculture system. Neuron 60:555–569. , , , and .
- 2008. A matter of identity: transcriptional control of oligodendrocytes. J. Mol. Neurosci. 35:3–12.
- 2009. The role of neurotrophins in the regulation of myelin development. Neurosignals 17:265–276. , , and .