Cross-linguistic influence of first language writing systems on brain responses to second language word reading in late bilinguals
Article first published online: 30 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 5, pages 525–531, September 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2013; 3(5): 525–531
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 30 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 3 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 2013
- Young Scientists. Grant Number: 23720192
- 2008. Language control and lexical competition in bilinguals: an event-related FMRI study. Cereb. Cortex 18:1496–1505. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Hebrew brain vs. English brain: language modulates the way it is processed. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 22:1955–1969. , , and .
- 2009. The age of second language acquisition determines the variability in activation elicited by narration in three languages in Broca's and Wernicke's area. Neuropsychologia 47:625–633. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Relative language proficiency modulates BOLD signal change when bilinguals perform semantic judgments. Blood oxygen level dependent. Neuroimage 13:1155–1163. , , , and .
- 2006. Language control in the bilingual brain. Science 312:1537–1540. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Understanding bilingual memory: models and data. Trends Cogn. Sci. 8:87–93. , and .
- 2010. Developmental dyslexia in Chinese and English populations: dissociating the effect of dyslexia from language differences. Brain 133:1694–1706. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Cross-linguistic influence on brain activation during second language processing: an fMRI study. Biling. (Camb. Engl.) 10:175–187. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Distinct cortical areas associated with native and second languages. Nature 388:171–174. , , , and .
- 1995. The neural substrates underlying word generation: a bilingual functional-imaging study. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:2899–2903. , , , , and .
- 2005. Subliminal convergence of Kanji and Kana words: further evidence for functional parcellation of the posterior temporal cortex in visual word perception. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 17:954–968. , , , , and .
- 1971. The assessment and analysis of handedness: the Edinburgh inventory. Neuropsychologia 9:97–113.
- 1998. The bilingual brain. Proficiency and age of acquisition of the second language. Brain 121:1841–1852. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Functional MR imaging study of language-related differences in bilingual cerebellar activation. Am. J. Neuroradiol. 25:523–532. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Exploring the neural dynamics underpinning individual differences in sentence comprehension. Cereb. Cortex 21:1747–1760. , and .
- 2005. Processing lexical semantic and syntactic information in first and second language: fMRI evidence from German and Russian. Hum. Brain Mapp. 25:266–286. , , , and .
- 2006. Native and non-native reading of sentences: an fMRI experiment. Neuroimage 31:354–365. , , and .
- 2000. Different cortical activity in reading of Kanji words, Kana words and Kana nonwords. Cogn. Brain Res. 9:111–115. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Biological abnormality of impaired reading is constrained by culture. Nature 431:71–76. , , , and .
- 2008. A structural-functional basis for dyslexia in the cortex of Chinese readers. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105:5561–5566. , , , , and .
- 2009. Reduced frontal activation with increasing 2nd language proficiency. Neuropsychologia 47:2712–2720. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Neural systems of second language reading are shaped by native language. Hum. Brain Mapp. 18:158–166. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Neuroanatomical correlates of phonological processing of Chinese characters and alphabetic words: a meta-analysis. Hum. Brain Mapp. 25:83–91. , , , and .
- 2003. Early setting of grammatical processing in the bilingual brain. Neuron 37:159–170. , , , , , and .
- 2006a. Cortical mechanisms involved in the processing of verbs: an fMRI study. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 18:1304–1313. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006b. Cortical activation in the processing of passive sentences in L1 and L2: an fMRI study. Neuroimage 30:570–579. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Left middle temporal deactivation caused by insufficient second language word comprehension by Chinese-Japanese bilinguals. J. Neurolinguistics 22:476–485. , , , , , , et al.