Anxiety type modulates immediate versus delayed engagement of attention-related brain regions
Article first published online: 1 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 5, pages 532–551, September 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior2013; 3(5): 532–551
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 1 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 APR 2013
- National Institute of Mental Health. Grant Numbers: R01 MH61358, T32 MH19554, P50 MH079485
- 2007. Non-linear registration, aka spatial normalization: FMRIB technical report TR07JA2. FMRIB Analysis Group of the University of Oxford, Oxford, U.K. , , and .
- 2007. Differential activation of the amygdala and the social brain during fearful face-processing in asperger syndrome. Neuropsychologia 45:2–14. , , , , and .
- 2007. Threat-related attentional bias in anxious and nonanxious individuals: a meta-analytic study. Psychol. Bull. 133:1–24. , , , , and .
- 1986. Generalized anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder: description and reconceptualization. Am. J. Psychiatry 143:40–44.
- 1990. The nature of worry in generalized anxiety disorder: a predominance of thought activity. Behav. Res. Ther. 28:153–158. , and .
- 2004. Avoidance theory of worry and generalized anxiety disorder. Pp. 77–108 in R. Heimberg, C. L. Turk and D. S. Mennin, eds. Generalized anxiety disorder: advances in research and practice. Guilford Press, New York, NY. , ,
- 1999. Affective norms for English words (ANEW): instruction manual and affective ratings. University of Florida, The Center for Research in Psychophysiology, Gainesville, FL. , and .
- 2010. Screening for depressive disorders using the Mood and Anxiety Symptoms Question-naire Anhedonic Depression Scale: a receiver-operating characteristic analysis. Psychol. Assess. 22:702–710. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Functional magnetic resonance imaging of symptom provocation in obsessive-compulsive disorder. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 53:595–606. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Using the Stroop task to study emotion regulation. Pp. 93–113. in R. R. Hassin, K. N. Ochsner and Y. Trope, eds. Self-control in society, mind, and brain. Oxford University Press, Oxford, England. , , .
- 2004. A double dissociation between mood states and personality traits in the anterior cingulate. Behav. Neurosci. 118:897–904. , , , , and .
- 2006. Predictability modulates the affective and sensory-discriminative neural processing of pain. NeuroImage 32:1804–1814. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Tripartite model of anxiety and depression: psychometric evidence and taxonomic implications. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 100:316–336. , and .
- 2003. Paying attention to emotion: an fMRI investigation of cognitive and emotional Stroop tasks. Cogn. Affect. Behav. Neurosci. 3:81–96. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The reorienting system of the human brain: from environment to theory of mind. Neuron 58:306–324. , , and .
- 2006. Selection and maintenance of saccade goals in the human frontal eye fields. J. Neurophysiol. 95:3923–3927. , and .
- 1998. Catastrophic worrying: personal inadequacy and a perseverative iterative style as features of the catastrophizing process. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 107:576–586. , and .
- 1998. Affective style and affective disorders: perspectives from affective neuroscience. Cogn. Emot. 12:307–330.
- 1995. Contributions of anterior cingulate cortex to behavior. Brain 118:279–306. , , and .
- 2008. A dual-networks architecture of top-down control. Trends Cogn. Sci. 12:99–105. , , , , and .
- 1999. Approach and avoidance motivation and achievement goals. Educ. Psychol. 34:169–189.
- 2007. Specificity of regional brain activity in anxiety types during emotion processing. Psychophysiology 44:352–363. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Co-occurring anxiety influences patterns of brain activity in depression. Cogn. Affect. Behav. Neurosci. 10:141–156. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Unbiased nonlinear average age-appropriate brain templates from birth to adulthood. NeuroImage 47:S102. , , , , and .
- 2007. Visual presentation of phobic stimuli: amygdala activation via an extrageniculostriate pathway? Psychiatry Res. 155:113–120. , , , , and .
- 2008. Restriction of working memory capacity during worry. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 117:712–717. , , and .
- 2003. Systematic desensitization. Pp 417–422 in W. O'Donohue and J. E. Fisher, eds. Cognitive behavior therapy: applying empirically supported techniques in your practice. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. Hoboken, NJ. , .
- 1995. Patterns of perceptual asymmetry in depression and anxiety: implications for neuropsychological models of emotion and psychopathology. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 104:327–333. , , and .
- 1997. Patterns of regional brain activity differentiate types of anxiety. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 106:376–385. , , , and .
- 2010. Motivational priming and processing interrupt: startle reflex modulation during shallow and deep processing of emotional words. Int. J. Psychophysiol. 76:64–71. , and .
- 2005. Emotion-modulated performance and activity in left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. Emotion 5:200–207. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Influence of emotional engagement and habituation on exposure therapy for PTSD. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 66:185–192. , , and .
- 2003. Direct activation of the ventral striatum in anticipation of aversive stimuli. Neuron 40:1251–1257. , , , , , and .
- 2005. An event-related functional magnetic resonance imaging study of voluntary and stimulus-driven orienting of attention. J. Neurosci. 25: 4593–4604. , , , , and .
- 2003. Relationships of distinct affective dimensions to performance on an emotional Stroop task. Cognit. Ther. Res. 27:671–680. , , , and .
- 2006. Distinct neural mechanisms of risk and ambiguity: a meta-analysis of decision-making. NeuroImage 32:477–484. , , , , and .
- 2009. Circular analysis in systems neuroscience: the dangers of double dipping. Nat. Neurosci. 12:535–540. , , , and .
- 2006. Fearful imagery and the anxiety disorder spectrum. Pp. 56–77 in B. O. Rothbaum, ed. Pathological anxiety: emotional processing in etiology and treatment. Guilford Press, New York, NY. , , and .
- 2004. Distinct neural correlates of washing, checking, and hoarding symptom dimensions in obsessive-compulsive disorder. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 61:564–576. , , , , , and .
- 1985. Selective processing of threat cues in anxiety states. Behav. Res. Ther. 23:563–569. , and .
- 2010. Are worry, rumination, and post-event processing one and the same? development of the repetitive thinking questionnaire. J. Anxiety Disord. 24:509–519. , , and .
- 1990. Development and validation of the Penn State worry questionnaire. Behav. Res. Ther. 28:487–495. , , , and .
- 2001. Misunderstanding analysis of covariance. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 110:40–48. , and .
- 2002. Pattern of change in prolonged exposure and cognitive-processing therapy for female rape victims with posttraumatic stress disorder. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 70:880–886. , , and .
- 1999. Contrasting patterns of brain activity in anxious apprehension and anxious arousal. Psychophysiology 36:628–637. , , , and .
- 2000. Anxiety, stress, and cortical brain function. Pp. 298–319 in J. C. Borod, ed. The neuropsychology of emotion. Oxford University Press, New York, NY. , , and .
- 2001. Distinguishing dimensions of anxiety and depression. Cognit. Ther. Res. 25:1–22. , , , , and .
- 2005. Acceptance-based behavioral therapies for anxiety. Pp. 3–35 in S. M. Orsillo and L. Roemer, eds. Acceptance and mindfulness-based approaches to anxiety. Springer, New York, NY. , , and .
- 2006. Worry and rumination: styles of persistent negative thinking in anxiety and depression. Pp. 21–40 in G. C. L. Davey and A. Wells, eds. Worry and its psychological disorders: theory, assessment and treatment. John Wiley and Sons Ltd., West Sussex, UK.
- 2003. Habituation of rostral anterior cingulate cortex to repeated emotionally salient pictures. Neuropsychopharmacology 28:1344–1350. , , , , and .
- 2009. The human amygdala and the control of fear. Pp. 204–219 in P. J. Whalen and E. A. Phelps, eds. The human amygdala. Guilford Press, New York.
- 2001. Imaging the premotor areas. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 11:663–672. , and .
- 2008. Asymptotic and resampling strategies for assessing and comparing indirect effects in multiple mediator models. Behav. Res. Methods 40:879–891. , and .
- 2005. Use of the extreme groups approach: a critical reexamination and new recommendations. Psychol. Methods 10:178–192. , , , and .
- 2010. Time course of attentional bias in anxiety: emotion and gender specificity. Psychophysiology 47:247–259. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Right dorsolateral prefrontal cortical activity and behavioral inhibition. Psychol. Sci. 20:1500–1506.Direct Link:, , , , and .
- 2011a. Stress potentiates early and attenuates late stages of visual processing. J. Neurosci. 31:1156–1161. , , , , and .
- 2011b. The integration of negative affect, pain and cognitive control in the cingulate cortex. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 12:154–167. , , , , , and .
- 2010. The time course of activity in dorsolateral prefrontal cortex and anterior cingulate cortex during top-down attentional control. NeuroImage 50:1292–1302. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. State anxiety and affective physiology: effects of sustained exposure to affective pictures. Biol. Psychol. 69:247–260. , , and .
- 2011a. Approach and avoidance profiles distinguish dimensions of anxiety and depression. Cognit. Ther. Res. 35:359–371. , , , , and .
- 2011b. Trait approach and avoidance motivation: lateralized neural activity associated with executive function. NeuroImage 54:661–670. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Trait motivation moderates neural activation associated with goal pursuit. Cogn. Affect. Behav. Neurosci. 12:308–322. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The Penn State Worry Questionnaire (PSWQ). Pp. 101–119 in G. C. L. Davey and A. Wells, eds. Worry and its psychological disorders: theory, assessment and treatment. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., West Sussex, U.K. , and .
- 2007. Characterization of the affective norms for English words by discrete emotional categories. Behav. Res. Methods 39:1020–1024. , , and .
- 1935. Studies of interference in serial verbal reactions. J. Exp. Psychol. Gen. 18:643–662.
- 2004. Fear activation and distraction during the emotional processing of claustrophobic fear. J. Behav. Ther. Exp. Psychiatry 35: 219–232. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Phasic heart period reactions to cued threat and non-threat stimuli in generalized anxiety disorder. Psychophysiology 37:361–368. , , , , and .
- 1978. P. 152Handbook of semantic word norms. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ. , and .
- 2005. Variants of uncertainty in decision-making and their neural correlates. Brain Res. Bull. 67:403–412. , , and .
- 2000. Simultaneous inference for FMRI data. Available at http://afni.nimh.nih.gov./pub/dist/doc/manual/AlphaSim.pdf (accessed July 27, 2006).
- 2010. Effects of adult attachment and emotional distractors on brain mechanisms of cognitive control. Psychol. Sci. 21:1818–1826. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995a. Testing a tripartite model: II. Exploring the symptom structure of anxiety and depression in student, adult, and patient samples. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 104:15–25. , , , , , and .
- 1995b. Testing a tripartite model: I. Evaluating the convergent and discriminant validity of anxiety and depression symptom scales. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 104:3–14. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Brain activation and defensive response mobilization during sustained exposure to phobia-related and other affective pictures in spider phobia. Psychophysiology 45:205–215. , , , , and .
- 2004. The relevance of behavioural measures for function-imaging studies of cognition. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 5:67–73. , and .
- 1988. P. 226 Cognitive psychology and emotional disorders. John Wiley and Sons, Inc, Oxford, England. , , , and .
- 1996. The emotional Stroop task and psychopathology. Psychol. Bull. 120:3–24. , , and .
- 2001. Temporal autocorrelation in univariate linear modeling of FMRI data. NeuroImage 14:1370–1386. , , , and .
- 2001. Differential prefrontal cortex and amygdala habituation to repeatedly presented emotional stimuli. NeuroReport 12:379–383. , , , , , and .
- 1996. PET studies of phonetic processing of speech: review, replication, and reanalysis. Cereb. Cortex 6:21–30. , , , and .