Neuroprotective effects of Tacrolimus (FK-506) and Cyclosporin (CsA) in oxidative injury
Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2012
©2011 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 87–94, November 2011
How to Cite
Yousuf, S., Atif, F., Kesherwani, V. and Agrawal, S. K. (2011), Neuroprotective effects of Tacrolimus (FK-506) and Cyclosporin (CsA) in oxidative injury. Brain and Behavior, 1: 87–94. doi: 10.1002/brb3.16
- Issue online: 31 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2012
- Received: 17 June 2011; Revised: 3 August 2011; Accepted: 9 August 2011
- 2002. Increased protein oxidation and decreased creatine kinase BB expression and activity after spinal cord contusion injury. J. Neurotrauma 19:491–502. , , , , and .
- 2009. S-allyl L-cysteine diminishes cerebral ischemia-induced mitochondrial dysfunctions in hippocampus. Brain Res. 1265:128–137. , , and .
- 1982. Cellular and extracellular myeloperoxidase in pyogenic inflammation. Blood 60:618–622. , , and .
- 1996. Oxygen sensing and molecular adaptation to hypoxia. Physiol. Rev. 76:839–885. , and .
- 1995. Calcium: still center-stage in hypoxic–ischemic neuronal death. Trends Neurosci. 18:58–60.
- 1993. Oxidative stress, glutamate, and neurodegenerative disorders. Science 262:689–695. , and .
- 2005. Cyclosporin-A inhibits constitutive nitric oxide synthase activity and neuronal and endothelial nitric oxide synthase expressions after spinal cord injury in rats. Neurochem. Res. 30:245–251. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Effects of antithrombin iii on myeloperoxidase activity, superoxide dismutase activity, and malondialdehyde levels and histopathological findings after spinal cord injury in the rat. Neurosurgery 56:828–835. , , , , , and .
- 2006. The cellular inflammatory response in human spinal cords after injury. Brain. 129:3249–3269. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Multiple modes of action of tacrolimus (FK506) for neuroprotective action on ischemic damage after transient focal cerebral ischemia in rats. Brain Res. 1014:120–130. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. FK506 and the role of immunophilins in nerve regeneration. Mol. Neurobiol. 15:285–306.
- 1998. Mitochondria and apoptosis. Science 281:1309–1312. , and .
- 2008. Analysis of FK506-mediated protection in an organotypic model of spinal cord damage: heat shock protein 70 levels are modulated in microglial cells. Neuroscience 155:104–113. , , , and .
- 2008. Immunosuppression after traumatic or ischemic CNS damage: it is neuroprotective and illuminates the role of microglial cells. Prog. Neurobiol. 84:211–233.
- 2005. Biochemistry: a pore way to die. Nature 434:578–579.
- 1990. Inhibition of Ca2+-induced large-amplitude swelling of liver and heart mitochondria by cyclosporine is probably caused by the inhibitor binding to mitochondrial-matrix peptidyl-prolyl cis-trans isomerase and preventing it interacting with the adenine nucleotide translocase. Biochem. J. 268:153–160. , and .
- 1989. Central nervous system trauma and stroke, physiological and pharmacological evidence for the involvement of oxygen radicals and lipid peroxidation. Free. Radic. Biol. Med. 6:303–313. , and .
- 1974. Bromobenzene induced liver necrosis: protective role of glutathione and evidence for 3, 4-bromobenzene oxide as the hepatotoxic intermediate. Pharmacology 11:161–169. , , , and .
- 1998. The mitochondrial/life regulator in apoptosis and necrosis. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 60:619–642. , , and .
- 1998. Apoptosis, excitotoxicity, and neuropathology. Exp. Cell Res. 239:183–201. , and .
- 2000. Free radical pathways in CNS injury. J. Neurotrauma 17:871–890. , , and .
- 2008. Attenuation of acute mitochondrial dysfunction after traumatic brain injury in mice by NIM811, a non-immunosuppressive cyclosporin A analog. Exp. Neurol. 209:243–253. , , , , and .
- 2010. Effects of cyclosporine on the antioxidant status and oxidative stress in the glioma cells. Transplant. Proc. 42:983–984. , and .
- 2007. Pretreatment with the cyclosporin derivative, NIM811 improves the function of synaptic mitochondria following spinal cord contusion in rats. J. Neurotrauma 24:613–624. , , and .
- 2003. Role of calcineurin in calcium-mediated hypoxic injury to white matter. Spine J. 3:11–18. , and .
- 1993. Protective effect of FK506 on ischemia/reperfusion induced myocardial damage in canine heart. J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. 21:448–454. , , , , and .
- 2000. Calmodulin and cyclic ADP-ribose interaction in Ca2+ signaling related to cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum: superoxide anion radical-triggered Ca2+ release. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2:47–54. , , and .
- 2009. Cinnamon polyphenols attenuate cell swelling and mitochondrial dysfunction following oxygen-glucose deprivation in glial cells. Exp. Neurol. 216:420–427. , , and .
- 2004. Mitochondrial swelling and generation of reactive oxygen species induced by photoirradiation are heterogeneously distributed. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1011:112–122. , and .
- 1985. Purification of non-synaptic and synaptic mitochondria and plasma membranes from rat brain by a rapid Percoll gradient procedure. J. Neurosci. Methods 14:41–51. , and .
- 2006. Potentiation of neurite outgrowth and reduction of apoptosis by immunosuppressive agents: implications for neuronal injury and transplantation. Neurosurg. Focus 20:E9. , , , and .
- 2000. Tacrolimus limits polymorphonuclear leucocyte accumulation and protects against myocardial ischaemia—reperfusion injury. J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 32:429–440. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Neurotrophic actions of non-immunosuppressive analogues of immunosuppressive drugs FK506, rapamycin and cyclosporine A. Nat. Med. 3:421–428. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Continuous infusion of cyclosporin A postinjury significantly ameliorates cortical damage following traumatic brain injury. Exp. Neurol. 161:631–637. , , and .
- 1998. Spinal cord injury in the rat. Prog. Neurobiol. 56:341–358. , and .
- 1978. Determination of malonaldehyde precursor in tissues by thiobarbituric acid test. Anal. Biochem. 86:271–278. , and .
- 1999. Ca2+-induced apoptosis through calcineurin dephosphorylation of BAD. Science 284:339–343. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Acid sensing ion channels–novel therapeutic targets for ischemic brain injury. Front. Biosci. 12:1376–1386. , , and .
- 2005. Protective effect of Khamira Abresham Uood Mastagiwala against free radical induced damage in focal cerebral ischemia. J. Ethnopharmacol. 99:179–184. , , , , , and .