Neuroprotective effects of Tacrolimus (FK-506) and Cyclosporin (CsA) in oxidative injury
Article first published online: 16 SEP 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 87–94, November 2011
Total views since publication: 712
How to Cite
Yousuf, S., Atif, F., Kesherwani, V. and Agrawal, S. K. (2011), Neuroprotective effects of Tacrolimus (FK-506) and Cyclosporin (CsA) in oxidative injury. Brain and Behavior, 1: 87–94. doi: 10.1002/brb3.16
- Issue published online: 17 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 16 SEP 2011
- Received: 17 June 2011; Revised: 3 August 2011; Accepted: 9 August 2011
- 2002. Increased protein oxidation and decreased creatine kinase BB expression and activity after spinal cord contusion injury. J. Neurotrauma 19:491–502. , , , , and .
- 2009. S-allyl L-cysteine diminishes cerebral ischemia-induced mitochondrial dysfunctions in hippocampus. Brain Res. 1265:128–137. , , and .
- 1982. Cellular and extracellular myeloperoxidase in pyogenic inflammation. Blood 60:618–622. , , and .
- 1996. Oxygen sensing and molecular adaptation to hypoxia. Physiol. Rev. 76:839–885. , and .
- 1995. Calcium: still center-stage in hypoxic–ischemic neuronal death. Trends Neurosci. 18:58–60.
- 1993. Oxidative stress, glutamate, and neurodegenerative disorders. Science 262:689–695. , and .
- 2005. Cyclosporin-A inhibits constitutive nitric oxide synthase activity and neuronal and endothelial nitric oxide synthase expressions after spinal cord injury in rats. Neurochem. Res. 30:245–251. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Effects of antithrombin iii on myeloperoxidase activity, superoxide dismutase activity, and malondialdehyde levels and histopathological findings after spinal cord injury in the rat. Neurosurgery 56:828–835. , , , , , and .
- 2006. The cellular inflammatory response in human spinal cords after injury. Brain. 129:3249–3269. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Multiple modes of action of tacrolimus (FK506) for neuroprotective action on ischemic damage after transient focal cerebral ischemia in rats. Brain Res. 1014:120–130. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. FK506 and the role of immunophilins in nerve regeneration. Mol. Neurobiol. 15:285–306.
- 1998. Mitochondria and apoptosis. Science 281:1309–1312. , and .
- 2008. Analysis of FK506-mediated protection in an organotypic model of spinal cord damage: heat shock protein 70 levels are modulated in microglial cells. Neuroscience 155:104–113. , , , and .
- 2008. Immunosuppression after traumatic or ischemic CNS damage: it is neuroprotective and illuminates the role of microglial cells. Prog. Neurobiol. 84:211–233.
- 2005. Biochemistry: a pore way to die. Nature 434:578–579.
- 1990. Inhibition of Ca2+-induced large-amplitude swelling of liver and heart mitochondria by cyclosporine is probably caused by the inhibitor binding to mitochondrial-matrix peptidyl-prolyl cis-trans isomerase and preventing it interacting with the adenine nucleotide translocase. Biochem. J. 268:153–160. , and .
- 1989. Central nervous system trauma and stroke, physiological and pharmacological evidence for the involvement of oxygen radicals and lipid peroxidation. Free. Radic. Biol. Med. 6:303–313. , and .
- 1974. Bromobenzene induced liver necrosis: protective role of glutathione and evidence for 3, 4-bromobenzene oxide as the hepatotoxic intermediate. Pharmacology 11:161–169. , , , and .
- 1998. The mitochondrial/life regulator in apoptosis and necrosis. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 60:619–642. , , and .
- 1998. Apoptosis, excitotoxicity, and neuropathology. Exp. Cell Res. 239:183–201. , and .
- 2000. Free radical pathways in CNS injury. J. Neurotrauma 17:871–890. , , and .
- 2008. Attenuation of acute mitochondrial dysfunction after traumatic brain injury in mice by NIM811, a non-immunosuppressive cyclosporin A analog. Exp. Neurol. 209:243–253. , , , , and .
- 2010. Effects of cyclosporine on the antioxidant status and oxidative stress in the glioma cells. Transplant. Proc. 42:983–984. , and .
- 2007. Pretreatment with the cyclosporin derivative, NIM811 improves the function of synaptic mitochondria following spinal cord contusion in rats. J. Neurotrauma 24:613–624. , , and .
- 2003. Role of calcineurin in calcium-mediated hypoxic injury to white matter. Spine J. 3:11–18. , and .
- 1993. Protective effect of FK506 on ischemia/reperfusion induced myocardial damage in canine heart. J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. 21:448–454. , , , , and .
- 2000. Calmodulin and cyclic ADP-ribose interaction in Ca2+ signaling related to cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum: superoxide anion radical-triggered Ca2+ release. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2:47–54. , , and .
- 2009. Cinnamon polyphenols attenuate cell swelling and mitochondrial dysfunction following oxygen-glucose deprivation in glial cells. Exp. Neurol. 216:420–427. , , and .
- 2004. Mitochondrial swelling and generation of reactive oxygen species induced by photoirradiation are heterogeneously distributed. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1011:112–122. , and .
- 1985. Purification of non-synaptic and synaptic mitochondria and plasma membranes from rat brain by a rapid Percoll gradient procedure. J. Neurosci. Methods 14:41–51. , and .
- 2006. Potentiation of neurite outgrowth and reduction of apoptosis by immunosuppressive agents: implications for neuronal injury and transplantation. Neurosurg. Focus 20:E9. , , , and .
- 2000. Tacrolimus limits polymorphonuclear leucocyte accumulation and protects against myocardial ischaemia—reperfusion injury. J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 32:429–440. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Neurotrophic actions of non-immunosuppressive analogues of immunosuppressive drugs FK506, rapamycin and cyclosporine A. Nat. Med. 3:421–428. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Continuous infusion of cyclosporin A postinjury significantly ameliorates cortical damage following traumatic brain injury. Exp. Neurol. 161:631–637. , , and .
- 1998. Spinal cord injury in the rat. Prog. Neurobiol. 56:341–358. , and .
- 1978. Determination of malonaldehyde precursor in tissues by thiobarbituric acid test. Anal. Biochem. 86:271–278. , and .
- 1999. Ca2+-induced apoptosis through calcineurin dephosphorylation of BAD. Science 284:339–343. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Acid sensing ion channels–novel therapeutic targets for ischemic brain injury. Front. Biosci. 12:1376–1386. , , and .
- 2005. Protective effect of Khamira Abresham Uood Mastagiwala against free radical induced damage in focal cerebral ischemia. J. Ethnopharmacol. 99:179–184. , , , , , and .