Equal first authorship.
Distinction between hand dominance and hand preference in primates: a behavioral investigation of manual dexterity in nonhuman primates (macaques) and human subjects
Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 5, pages 575–595, September 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2013; 3(5): 575–595
- Issue online: 12 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 29 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 JAN 2013
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: 31-61857.00, 310000-110005, 31003A-132465, FZFS-0_144990, 31-121646
- The Novartis Foundation
- The National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) on "Neural plasticity and repair"
- The Christopher Reeves Foundation
- 1984. Supplementary motor area of the monkey's cerebral cortex: short- and long-term deficits after unilateral ablation and the effects of subsequent callosal section. J. Neurosci. 4:918–929.
- 1973. Cerebral control of contralateral and ipsilateral arm, hand and finger movements in the split-brain rhesus monkey. Brain 96:653–674. , and .
- 2007. Determinants of hand preference in monkeys (M. fascicularis): birth to weaning. Aust. J. Psychol. 59(Suppl. 1):21. , and .
- 2006. Manual laterality in Campbell's Monkeys (Cercopithecus c. campbelli) in spontaneous and experimental actions. Behav. Brain Res. 173:237–245. , , and .
- 1977. Fifty centuries of right-handedness: the historical record. Science 198:631–632. , and .
- 2006. Further evidence of an association between handedness and neuroanatomical asymmetries in the primary motor cortex of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). Neuropsychologia 44:2582–2586. , , and .
- 1997. Functional activation in motor cortex reflects the direction and the degree of handedness. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94:14015–14018. , , , , and .
- 1988. Handedness and manual specialization in the baboon. Neuropsychologia 26:795–804. , and .
- 1991. Manual laterality in nonhuman primates: a distinction between handedness and manual specialization. Psychol. Bull. 109:76–89. , and .
- 2006. Comparative review of fascicularis-group species of macaques (Primates: Macaca). Fieldiana Zool. 107:1–44.
- 2013. Human handedness: an inherited evolutionary trait. Behav. Brain Res. 237:200–2006. , , , , and .
- 2009. Anti-Nogo-A antibody treatment promotes recovery of manual dexterity after unilateral cervical lesion in adult primates–re-examination and extension of behavioral data. Eur. J. Neurosci. 29:983–996. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Multiple measures of laterality in Garnett's bushbaby (Otolemur garnettii). Am. J. Primatol. 72:206–216. , , , , and .
- 1995. Hand preferences for a coordinated bimanual task in 110 chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes): cross-sectional analysis. J. Comp. Psychol. 109:291–297.
- 2004. Laterality in maternal cradling and infant positional biases: implications for the development and evolution of hand preferences in nonhuman primates. Int. J. Primatol. 25:1243–1265.
- 2006. Comparative and familial analysis of handedness in great apes. Psychol. Bull. 132:538–559.
- 2004. Handedness in chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) is associated with asymmetries of the primary motor cortex but not with homologous language areas. Behav. Neurosci. 118:1176–1183. , and .
- 2005. Individual and setting differences in the hand preferences of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes): a critical analysis and some alternative explanations. Laterality 10:65–80. , and .
- 2001. Neuroanatomical localization of the motor hand area with magnetic resonance imaging: the left hemisphere is larger in great apes. Behav. Neurosci. 115:1159–1164. , and .
- 1997. Manual specialisation and tool use in captive chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes): the effect of unimanual and bimanual strategies on hand preference. Laterality 2:267–277. , and .
- 1989. Note on hand use in the manipulation of joysticks by rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta) and chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). J. Comp. Psychol. 103:91–94. , , and .
- 1992. Behavioral asymmetries of psychomotor performance in rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta): a dissociation between hand preference and skill. J. Comp. Psychol. 106:392–397. , , , and .
- 2002. Grip morphology and hand use in chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes): evidence of a left hemisphere specialization in motor skill. J. Exp. Psychol. Gen. 131:412–423. , , , , and .
- 2003. Population-level right handedness for a coordinated bimanual task in chimpanzees: replication and extension in a second colony of apes. Int. J. Primatol. 24:677–689. , , , and .
- 2004. Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) are predominantly right-handed: replication in three populations of apes. Behav. Neurosci. 118:659–663. , , , , and .
- 2005. Factors influencing the prevalence and handedness for throwing in captive chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). J. Comp. Psychol. 119:363–370. , , , , and .
- 2010. Cortical representation of lateralized grasping in chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes): a combined MRI and PET study. PLoS One 5:e13383. , , , , and .
- 2011. Hand preferences for coordinated bimanual actions in 777 great apes: implications for the evolution of handedness in hominins. J. Hum. Evol. 60:605–611. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Effects of unilateral motor cortex lesion on ipsilesional hand's reach and grasp performance in monkeys: relationship with recovery in the contralesional hand. J. Neurophysiol. 103:1630–1645. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Autologous adult cortical cell transplantation enhances functional recovery following unilateral lesion of motor cortex in primates: a pilot study. Neurosurgery 68:1405–1416. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Representation of motor habit in a sequence of repetitive reach and grasp movements performed by macaque monkeys: evidence for a contribution of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. Cortex 49:1404–1419. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Assessing handedness in pre-schoolers: construction and initial validation of a hand preference test for 4–6 year olds. Psychol. Sci. 49:239–254. , , and .
- 1994. Temporal structure of a bimanual goal-directed movement sequence in monkeys. Eur. J. Neurosci. 6:203–210. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Neuronal activity in the primate supplementary motor area and the primary motor cortex in relation to spatio-temporal bimanual coordination. Somatosens. Mot. Res. 15:287–308. , , , , and .
- 2000. Do bimanual motor actions involve the dorsal premotor (PMd), cingulate (CMA) and posterior parietal (PPC) cortices? Comparison with primary and supplementary motor cortical areas. Somatosens. Mot. Res. 17:255–271. , , and .
- 2000. Sex and cognition. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 1998. Do monkeys choose the more skillful hand in manual problem-solving? Percept. Mot. Skills 87:83–89.
- 1997. Manual exploratory procedures and asymmetries for a haptic search task: a comparison between capuchins (Cebus apella) and humans. Laterality 2:247–266. , and .
- 1999. Hand preferences for a ahptic task in chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). Int. J. Primatol. 20:867–881. , , , and .
- 1978a. The handedness of rhesus monkeys: I. Distribution. Neuropsychologia 16:33–42.
- 1978b. The handedness of rhesus monkeys: II. Concurrent reaching. Cortex 14:190–196.
- 1980a. The handedness of rhesus monkeys: III. Consistency within and across activities. Cortex 16:197–204.
- 1980b. Distribution and changes in strength of hand preferences of cynomolgus monkeys. Brain Behav. Evol. 17:209–217.
- 1989. Hand preferences of rhesus monkeys on differing tasks. Neuropsychologia 27:1193–1196.
- 2008. Manual lateralization in early primates: a comparison of two mouse lemur species. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 137:156–163. , , and .
- 1993. Cortical control of the primate hand. Exp. Physiol. 78:263–301.
- 2008. Descending pathways in motor control. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 31:195–218.
- 1999. Mechanisms of recovery of dexterity following unilateral lesion of the sensorimotor cortex in adult monkeys. Exp. Brain Res. 128:149–159. , and .
- 2009. Brief handedness questionnaire. Available at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-education/other-studies/laterality/laterality-questionnaires/BriefHandednessQuestionnaire2009.pdf (accessed 22 July 2013).
- 1987. Primate handedness reconsidered. Behav. Brain Sci. 10:247–303. , , and .
- 1968. Bimanual coordination in monkeys. Exp. Neurol. 21:92–104. , and .
- 1989. Population-level asymetry of hand preference in lemurs. Behaviour 110:244–247.
- 2012. Sex difference in squirrel monkey's handedness for unimanual and bimanual coordinated tasks. Anim. Behav. 83:635–643. , , , , and .
- 2011. A new tool for measuring hand preference in non-human primates: adaptation of Bishop's Quantifying Hand Preference task for Olive baboons. Behav. Brain Res. 218:1–7. , , and .
- 2008. Effects of motor training on the recovery of manual dexterity after primary motor cortex lesion in macaque monkeys. J. Neurophysiol. 99:773–786. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Neurophysiological correlates of hand preference in primary motor cortex of adult squirrel monkeys. J. Neurosci. 12:2918–2947. , , , , and .
- 1971. The assessment and analysis of handedness: the Edinburgh inventory. Neuropsychologia 9:97–113.
- 2005. A meta-analysis of primate hand preferences, particularly for reaching. J. Comp. Psychol. 119:33–48. , , and .
- 1993. Corticospinal function and voluntary movement. Clarendon Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2010. Influence of the task on hand preference: individual differences among gorillas (Gorilla gorilla gorilla). Folia Primatol. (Basel) 81:273–281. , , , and .
- 2004. Is there geographical variation in human handedness? Laterality 9:35–51. , and .
- 1996. Frequency-dependent maintenance of left handedness in humans. Proc. Biol. Sci. 263:1627–1633. , , , and .
- 2009. Hand and paw preferences in relation to the lateralized brain. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 364:943–954.
- 2006. Gender-specific movement strategies using a computer-pointing task. J. Mot. Behav. 38:431–437.
- 1998. Dexterity in adult monkeys following early lesion of the motor cortical hand area: the role of cortex adjacent to the lesion. Eur. J. Neurosci. 10:729–740. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Epigenesis of behavioural lateralization in humans and other animals. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 364:915–927. , , , , and .
- 2011. Behavioral assessment of manual dexterity in non-human primates. J. Vis. Exp. 57:3258. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Hand preferences in Barbary macaques (Macaca sylvanus). Laterality 13:143–157. , , , and .
- 2006. Dynamics of hemispheric specialization and integration in the context of motor control. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 7:160–166. , , and .
- 2007. Histological asymmetries of primary motor cortex predict handedness in chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). J. Comp. Neurol. 503:525–537. , , , , and .
- 1999. Right or left, hand or mouth: general-specific preferences in marmosets and tamarins. Behaviour 136:119–145. , and .
- 1998. Hand preferences in unimanual and coordinated-bimanual tasks by tufted capuchin monkeys (Cebus apella). J. Comp. Psychol. 112:183–191. , , and .
- 2007. Hand use by tufted capuchins (Cebus apella) to extract a small food item from a tube: digit movements, hand preference, and performance. Am. J. Primatol. 69:336–352. , , and .
- 2000. Predicting hand preference with performance on motor tasks. Cortex 36:679–689. , , , , and .
- 2009. The prehistory of handedness: archaeological data and comparative ethology. J. Hum. Evol. 57:411–419.
- 2005. Hand preferences for unimanual and coordinated bimanual tasks in baboons (Papio anubis). Brain Res. Cogn. Brain Res. 25:210–216. , , and .
- 1990. Handedness as a function of sex and age in a large population of Lemur. J. Comp. Psychol. 104:167–173. , , , , and .
- 1993. Patterns of lateralized behavior in prosimians. Pp. 43–74 in J. P. Ward and W. D. Hopkins, eds. Primate laterality: current behavioral evidence of primate asymmetries. Springer, New-York, NY. , , and .
- 2001. Factor analysis of multiple measures of hand use in captive chimpanzees: an alternative approach to the assessment of handedness in non-human primates. Int. J. Primatol. 23:1155–1168. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Left-handedness and longevity in primates. Int. J. Neurosci. 99:79–87. , and .
- 1996. Hand preference for a bimanual task in tufted capuchins (Cebus apella) and rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta). J. Comp. Psychol. 110:406–411. , and .
- 1997. Hand preference in infant rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta). Child Dev. 68:387–393. , , and .
- 2001a. Familial influences on hand preference: genotypic variation between closely related primate species. Dev. Neuropsychol. 20:605–617. , , and .
- 2001b. Between-species variation in the development of hand preference among macaques. Neuropsychologia 39:1373–1378. , , and .
- 2012. Handedness in nature: first evidence on manual laterality on bimanual coordinated tube task in wild primates. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 148:36–44. , , and .