Fear of heights and mild visual height intolerance independent of alcohol consumption
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 3, Issue 5, pages 596–601, September 2013
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior2013; 3(5): 596–601
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 6 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 APR 2013
- German Ministry of Education and Research
- German Center for Vertigo and Balance Disorders
- Hertie Foundation
- 1969. The epidemiology of common fears and phobia. Compr. Psychiat. 10:151–156. , , and .
- 1995. Alcohol problems and anxiety disorders—a critical review. Alcohol Alcohol. 30:145–151.
- American Psychiatric Association. 2000. Committee on nomenclature and statistics diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4th ed, text revision. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC.
- 2007. Epidemiology of specific phobia subtypes: findings from the Dresden Mental Health Study. Eur. Psychiatry 22:69–74. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Gesundheitsberichterstattung des Bundes. Alkoholkonsum und alkoholbezogene Störungen. Robert Koch-Institut, Berlin, Germany. , , and .
- 2010. Social anxiety and motives for alcohol use among adolescents. Psychol. Addict. Behav. 24:529–534. , , , , and .
- 1980. The mechanism of physiological height vertigo. I. Theoretical approach and psychophysics. Acta Otolaryngol. 89:513–523. , , , and .
- 2012a. What to call “non-phobic” fear of heights? Br. J. Psychiatry 190:81. doi:10.1192/bjp.190.1.81a. , , and .
- 2012b. Height intolerance: an underrated threat. J. Neurol. 259:759–760. , , and .
- 2012. Social impressions while drinking account for the relationship between alcohol-related problems and social anxiety. Addict. Behav. 37:533–536. , and .
- 2012. Generalized anxiety disorder is under-recognized in clinical practice in patients with alcohol dependence in France. Alcohol 47:15–19. doi: 10.1016/j.alcohol.2012.08.008. , , , , , and .
- 1973. The fear of height s among alcoholics. Bull. Menninger Clin. 37:615–623. , and .
- 1998. Specific fears and phobias. Epidemiology and classification. Br. J. Psychiatry 173:212–217. , , , and .
- 2008. Specific fears and phobias in the general population: results from the Netherlands Mental Health Survey and Incidence Study (NEMESIS). Soc. Psychiatry Psychiatr. Epidemiol. 43:200–208. , , , and .
- 1991. Alcohol abuse and the anxiety disorders: evidence from the Epidemiologic Catchment Area Survey. J. Anxiety Disord. 5:237–245. , and .
- 2013. Down on heights? One in three has visual height intolerance. J. Neurol. 260:597–604. , , and .
- 2007. Reliability of self-report of health in juvenile offenders. Vulnerable Child Youth Stud. 2:127–141. , and .
- 1997. Lifetime co-occurrence of DSM-III-R alcohol abuse and dependence with other psychiatric disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 54:313–321. , , , , , and .
- 2000. The relationship between anxiety disorders and alcohol use disorders: a review of major perspectives and findings. Clin. Psychol. Rev. 20:149–171. , , and .
- 2010. Specific phobia: a review of DSM-IV specific phobia and preliminary recommendations for DSM-V. Depress. Anxiety 27:148–167. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Alcoholism and phobic anxiety–a clinical-demographic comparison. Addiction 89:447–453. , and .
- 2011. Sub-clinical anxiety and the onset of alcohol use disorders: longitudinal associations from the Baltimore ECA follow-up, 1981-2004. J. Addict. Dis. 30:45–53. , , , , and .
- 1995. Danger expectancies and insight in acrophobia. Behav. Res. Ther. 33:215–221. , and .
- 2005. The relationship between social anxiety disorder and alcohol use disorders: a critical review. Clin. Psychol. Rev. 25:734–760. , , and .
- 2009. Prevalence of dental fear and phobia relative to other fear and phobia types. Eur. J. Oral Sci. 117:135–143. , , and .
- 2009. Self-medication of anxiety disorders with alcohol and drugs: results from a nationally representative sample. J. Anxiety Disord. 23:38–45. , , , and .
- 1976. The fear of heights among alcoholics: additional data relevant to the Curlee and Stern study. Bull. Menninger Clin. 40:162–182. , , , and .
- 2013. Psychosocial factors and consequences of visual height intolerance: a qualitative study. Qual. Life Res. In press. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Social anxiety disorder and alcohol use disorder co-morbidity in the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Psychol. Med. 40:977–988. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Psychiatric co-morbidity among alcohol dependants. Indian J. Psychiatry 47:222–224. , , and .
- 1984. Alcohol dependence and phobic anxiety states. I. A prevalence study. Br. J. Psychiatry 144:53–57. , , , and .
- 2001. Prognostic modeling with logistic regression analysis: in search of a sensible strategy in small data sets. Med. Decis. Making 21:45–56. , , , and .
- 2007. The epidemiology of DSM-IV specific phobia in the USA: result from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Psychol. Med. 37:1047–1059. , , , , , , et al.
- 1957. The phenomenon of psychological border areas; observations and thoughts on the problem of phobias and especially of height vertigo (Über das Geschehen an seelischen Nahtstellen. Beobachtungen und Gedanken in Anlehnung an die Problematik der Phobien und besonders des Höhenschwindels). Wien. Med. Wochenschr. 107:912–917.
- 1984. The effects of ethanol intoxication on phobic anxiety. Behav. Res. Ther. 22:599–610. , and .
- World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research. 2007. Food, nutrition, physical activity, and the prevention of cancer: a global perspective. AICR, Washington, DC.
- World Health Organization. 1993. The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioral disorders, clinical description and diagnostic guidelines. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- World Health Organization. 2004. Department of mental health and substance abuse. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.