Please note that an editorial related to this article, “The role of FGF2 in spinal cord trauma and regeneration research,” doi: 10.1002/brb3.207, can be found here, also published in Brain and Behavior.
Fgf2 improves functional recovery—decreasing gliosis and increasing radial glia and neural progenitor cells after spinal cord injury
Article first published online: 13 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 187–200, March 2014
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2014; 4(2): 187–200
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 13 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 28 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 APR 2013
- National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia
- Victorian State Government
- Eva and Les Erdi foundation
- Australian government
- 2009. Rapid induction of genes associated with tissue protection and neural development in contused adult spinal cord after radial glial cell transplantation. J. Neurotrauma 26:979–993. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Posttreatment with intravenous basic fibroblast growth factor reduces histopathological damage following fluid-percussion brain injury in rats. J. Neurotrauma 13:309–316. , , , and .
- 1988. Ultrastructural and immunohistochemical analysis of axonal regrowth and myelination in membranes which form over lesion sites in the rat visual system. J. Neurocytol. 17:797–808. , , , and .
- 2004. SOX2, a persistent marker for multipotential neural stem cells derived from embryonic stem cells, the embryo or the adult. Dev. Neurosci. 26:148–165. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Regulation of self-renewal and pluripotency by Sox2 in human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 26:1931–1938. , , and .
- 2004. GFAP-expressing progenitors are the principal source of constitutive neurogenesis in adult mouse forebrain. Nat. Neurosci. 7:1233–1241. , , , , and .
- 2004. Axonal regeneration and lack of astrocytic gliosis in EphA4-deficient mice. J. Neurosci. 24:10064–10073. , , , , and .
- 2011. EphA4 blockers promote axonal regeneration and functional recovery following spinal cord injury in mice. PLoS One 6:e24636. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Fgf-dependent glial cell bridges facilitate spinal cord regeneration in zebrafish. J. Neurosci. 32:7477–7492. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Sciatic nerve grafting and inoculation of FGF-2 promotes improvement of motor behavior and fiber regrowth in rats with spinal cord transection. Restor. Neurol. Neurosci. 30:265–275. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Spontaneous regeneration of adult rat retinal ganglion cell axons in vivo. Neuroreport 3:239–242. , and .
- 2005. Embryonic radial glia bridge spinal cord lesions and promote functional recovery following spinal cord injury. Exp. Neurol. 193:394–410. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Glial cells generate neurons: the role of the transcription factor Pax6. Nat. Neurosci. 5:308–315. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Cellular response after crush injury in adult zebrafish spinal cord. Dev. Dyn. 239:2962–2979. , , and .
- 2006. Phenotypic and functional heterogeneity of GFAP-expressing cells in vitro: differential expression of LeX/CD15 by GFAP-expressing multipotent neural stem cells and non-neurogenic astrocytes. Glia 53:277–293. , , , and .
- 2003. The chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans neurocan, brevican, phosphacan, and versican are differentially regulated following spinal cord injury. Exp. Neurol. 182:399–411. , , and .
- 2013. Localized and sustained delivery of fibroblast growth factor-2 from a nanoparticle-hydrogel composite for treatment of spinal cord injury. Cells Tissues Organs 197:55-63. , , , and .
- 1996. Intracisternal basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) enhances behavioral recovery following focal cerebral infarction in the rat. J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 16:542–547. , , , and .
- 1997. Intracisternal basic fibroblast growth factor enhances functional recovery and up-regulates the expression of a molecular marker of neuronal sprouting following focal cerebral infarction. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94:8179–8184. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Intrathecal administration of epidermal growth factor and fibroblast growth factor 2 promotes ependymal proliferation and functional recovery after spinal cord injury in adult rats. J. Neurotrauma 19:223–238. , and .
- 2011. Regeneration of the adult zebrafish brain from neurogenic radial glia-type progenitors. Development 138:4831–4841. , , , , and .
- 2011. Acid fibroblast growth factor and peripheral nerve grafts regulate Th2 cytokine expression, macrophage activation, polyamine synthesis, and neurotrophin expression in transected rat spinal cords. J. Neurosci. 31:4137–4147. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Neuroprotective effects of basic fibroblast growth factor following spinal cord contusion injury in the rat. J. Neurotrauma 16:347–356. , , , and .
- 2012. SOX2 expression is upregulated in adult spinal cord after contusion injury in both oligodendrocyte lineage and ependymal cells. J. Neurosci. Res. 91:196–210. , , , and .
- 2006. Optimization of a mouse locomotor rating system to evaluate compression-induced spinal cord injury: correlation of locomotor and morphological injury indices. J. Neurosurg. Spine 4:165–173. , , , , and .
- 2012. JNK/ERK/FAK mediate promigratory actions of basic fibroblast growth factor in astrocytes via CCL2 and COX2. Neurosignals 20:86–102. , , , and .
- 2012. Long-distance growth and connectivity of neural stem cells after severe spinal cord injury. Cell 150:1264–1273. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Delayed administration of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) attenuates cognitive dysfunction following parasagittal fluid percussion brain injury in the rat. J. Neurotrauma 14:191–200. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Basic fibroblast growth factor promotes neuronal survival but not behavioral recovery in the transected and Schwann cell implanted rat thoracic spinal cord. J. Neurotrauma 21:1415–1430. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Spinal cord injury reveals multilineage differentiation of ependymal cells. PLoS Biol. 6:e182. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Neural stem and progenitor cells in nestin-GFP transgenic mice. J. Comp. Neurol. 469:311–324. , , , , and .
- 2011. Adult spinal cord radial glia display a unique progenitor phenotype. PLoS One 6:e24538. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Isolation and analysis of single cells from the mouse heart. J. Immunol. Methods 393:74–80. , , , and .
- 1999. Basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) enhances tissue sparing and functional recovery following moderate spinal cord injury. J. Neurotrauma 16:817–830. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Motor neuron regeneration in adult zebrafish. J. Neurosci. 28:8510–8516. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. FM19G11 favors spinal cord injury regeneration and stem cell self-renewal by mitochondrial uncoupling and glucose metabolism induction. Stem Cells 30:2221–2233. , , , , and .
- 2004. Regeneration beyond the glial scar. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 5:146–156. , and .
- 1998. Basic and acidic fibroblast growth factors protect spinal motor neurones in vivo after experimental spinal cord injury. Eur. J. Neurosci. 10:798–802. , , and .
- 1999. Basic fibroblast growth factor increases long-term survival of spinal motor neurons and improves respiratory function after experimental spinal cord injury. J. Neurosci. 19:7037–7047. , , , , and .
- 2011. Down-regulation of glial fibrillary acidic protein and vimentin by RNA interference improves acute urinary dysfunction associated with spinal cord injury in rats. J. Neurotrauma 28:607–618. , , , and .
- 1999. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha regulation of the Id gene family in astrocytes and microglia during CNS inflammatory injury. Glia 26:139–152. , , , and .
- 2008. Nerve repair using acidic fibroblast growth factor in human cervical spinal cord injury: a preliminary Phase I clinical study. J. Neurosurg. Spine 8:208–214. , , , , and .
- 2000. Evaluation of combined fibroblast growth factor-2 and moderate hypothermia therapy in traumatically brain injured rats. Brain Res. 887:134–143. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. ErbB2 activation contributes to de-differentiation of astrocytes into radial glial cells following induction of scratch-insulted astrocyte conditioned medium. Neurochem. Int. 59:1010–1018. , , , , , and .