Cortical morphology in children with alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder
Article first published online: 27 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 41–50, January 2014
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2014; 4(1): 41–50
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 27 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 3 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 MAY 2013
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Grant Numbers: 200810MOP-203919, 101009MOP-229653, NET-54014
- Hospital for Sick Children
- 1995. Maternal risk factors in fetal alcohol syndrome: provocative and permissive influences. Neurotoxicol. Teratol. 17:445–462. , and .
- 2006. Gaze but not arrows: a dissociative impairment after right superior temporal gyrus damage. Neuropsychologia 44:1804–1810. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Reduced right frontal cortical thickness in children, adolescents, and adults with ADHD and its correlation to clinical variables: a cross-sectional study. J. Psychiatr. Res. 44:1214–1223. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Alcohol-induced facial dysmorphology in C57BL/6 mouse models of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Alcohol 44:659–671. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Brain dysmorphology in individuals with severe prenatal alcohol exposure. Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 43:148–154. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Magnetic resonance outcomes from a comprehensive magnetic resonance imaging study of children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 33:1671–1689. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. MRI findings in children with school problems who had been exposed prenatally to alcohol. Devel. Med. Child Neurol. 44:98–106. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Social intelligence in the normal and autistic brain: an fMRI study. Eur. J. Neurosci. 11:1891–1898. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. See me, hear me, touch me: multisensory integration in lateral occipital-temporal cortex. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 15:145.
- 2007. Re-examining the core features of autism: a comparison of autism spectrum disorder and fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. J. Child Psychol. Psychiatry 48:1111–1121. , , and .
- 2010. Cingulate gyrus morphology in children and adolescents with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Psychiatry Res. 181:101–107. , , , , and .
- 2008. Superior temporal cortex in auditory timing. PLoS ONE 3:e2481. , , and .
- 2002. Minicolumnar pathology in autism. Neurology 58:428–432. , , , and .
- 2002. Regulation of cerebral cortex size by control of cell cycle exit in neuronal precursors. Science 297:365–369. , and .
- 2005. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder: Canadian guidelines for diagnosis. Canad. Med. Assoc. J. 172:S1–S21. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Challenges of diagnosis in fetal alcohol syndrome and fetal alcohol spectrum disorder in the adult. Am. J. Med. Genet. C Semin. Med. Genet. 145C:261–272. , , , and .
- 2004. Diffusion smoothing on brain surface via finite element method. In Proceedings of Biomedical Imaging: Macro to Nano, IEEE International Symposium. 1:432–435. , and .
- 2011. Memory and brain volume in adults prenatally exposed to alcohol. Brain Cogn. 75:67–77. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Automatic 3-D intersubject registration of MR volumetric data in standard talairach space. J. Comp. Assist. Tomogr. 18:192–205. , , , and .
- 1995. Automatic 3-D model-based neuroanatomical segmentation. Hum. Brain Mapp. 3:190–208. , , , and .
- 2006. Magnetic resonance and spectroscopic imaging in prenatal alcohol-exposed children: preliminary findings in the caudate nucleus. Neurotoxicol. Teratol. 28:596–606. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Altered cortical morphology in sensorimotor processing regions in adolescents and adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Brain Res. 1445:82–91. , , and .
- 2011. Cortical thickness in fetal alcohol syndrome and attention deficit disorder. Pediatr. Neurol. 45:387–391. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Neuron migration within the radial glial fiber system of the developing mutine cerebrum: an electron microscopic autoradiographic analysis. Brain Res. Dev. Brain Res. 52:39–56. , , , , and .
- 2008. Why do many psychiatric disorders emerge during adolescence? Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 9:947–957. , , and .
- 2002. Thresholding of statistical maps in functional neuroimaging using the false discovery rate. Neuroimage 15:870–878. , , and .
- 2009. Social cognitive and emotion processing abilities of children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: a comparison with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 33:1656–1670. , , , , and .
- 1975. Four factor index of social status. Yale University Department of Psychology, New Haven, CT.
- 1990. Morphometric study of human cerebral cortex development. Neuropsychologia 28:517–527.
- 2000. Ethanol-induced apoptotic neurodegeneration and fetal alcohol syndrome. Science 287:1056–1060. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Enlarged right superior temporal gyrus in children and adolescents with autism. Brain Res. 1360:205–212. , , , , and .
- 2000. Visual attention: insights from brain imaging. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 1:91–100. , and .
- 2005. Automated 3-D extraction and evaluation of the inner and outer cortical surfaces using a laplacian map and partial volume effect classification. Neuroimage 27:210–221. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Defining the behavioural phenotype in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: a review. Neurosci. Behav. Rev. 31:192–201.
- 2008. Brain diffusion abnormalities in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Alcohol Clin. Exp. Res. 32:1732–1740. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Imaging the impact of prenatal alcohol exposure on the structure of the developing human brain. Neuropsychol. Rev. 21:102–118. , , and .
- 2005. Cortical thickness analysis examined through power analysis and a population simulation. Neuroimage 24:163–173. , and .
- 2008. Occipital-temporal reduction and sustained visual attention deficit in prenatal alcohol exposed adults. Brain Imag. Behav. 2:39–48. , , and .
- 2004. Cost of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Am. J. Med. Genet. C Semin. Med. Genet. 127:42–50. , , and .
- 2007. An unbiased iterative group registration template for cortical surface analysis. Neuroimage 34:1535–1544. , , , and .
- 2009. Positional and surface area asymmetry of the human cortex. Neuroimage 46:895–903. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. A decrease in the size of the basal ganglia following prenatal alcohol exposure: a preliminary report. Neurotoxicol. Teratol. 16:283–289. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Verbal learning and memory in children with fetal alcohol syndrome. Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 20:810–816. , , , , and .
- 1997. The columnar organization of the neocortex. Brain 120:701–722.
- 2011. Extensive deep gray matter volume reductions in children and adolescents with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 8:1404–1417. , , , , and .
- 2013. Towards identifying a characteristic neuropsychological profile for fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. 1. Analysis of the motherisk FASD Clinic. J. Popul. Ther. Clin. Pharmacol. 20:e44–e52. , , , , , , et al.
- NIAAA. 2011. Consensus statement on recognizing alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder (ARND) in primary health care of children. Rockville, MD.
- 2009. Neuroimaging and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Dev. Disab. Res. Rev. 15:209–217. , , , and .
- 2009. Distinct genetic influence on cortical surface area and cortical thickness. Cereb. Cortex 19:2728–2735. , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Neuronal migration and contact guidance in the primate telencephalon. Postgrad. Med. J. 1:25–40.
- 1995. A small step for the cell, a giant leap for mankind: a hypothesis of neocortical expansion during evolution. Trends Neurosci. 18:383–388.
- 2006. Neurobehavioral functioning in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Child Neuropsychol. 12:453–468. , , and .
- 2010. Cortical anatomy in autism spectrum disorder: an in vivo MRI study on the effect of age. Cereb. Cortex 20:1332–1340. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. How does your cortex grow? J. Neurosci. 31:7174–7177. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Brain perfusion SPECT and MRI in fetal alcohol syndrome. Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 41:652–659. , , , and .
- 2005. Deep serotonergic and dopaminergic structures in fetal alcoholic syndrome: a study with nor-b-CIT-single photon emission computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging volumetry. Biol. Psychiatry 57:1565–1572. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: an overview with emphasis on changes in brain and behavior. Exp. Biol. Med. 230:357–365. , and .
- 1995. Abnormalities of the corpus callosum in children prenatally exposed to alcohol. Alcohol Clin. Exp. Res. 19:1198–1202. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Neurodevelopmental trajectories of the human cerebral cortex. J. Neurosci. 28:3586–3594. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. A nonparametric method for automatic correction of intensity nonuniformity in MRI data. IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging 17:87–97. , , and .
- 2002. Fast robust automated brain extraction. Hum. Brain Mapp. 173:143–155.
- 1996. Abnormal development of the cerebellar vermis in children prenatally exposed to alcohol: size reduction in lobules I-V. Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 20:31–34. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Mapping cortical gray matter asymmetry patterns in adolescents with heavy prenatal alcohol exposure. Neuroimage 17:1807–1819. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Longitudinal mapping of cortical thickness and brain growth in normal children. J. Neurosci. 24:8223–8231. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Abnormal cortical thickness and brain-behavior correlation patterns in individuals with heavy prenatal alcohol exposure. Cereb. Cortex 18:136–144. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Neuroimaging and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 31:239–245. , , , and .
- 2006. The burden of prenatal exposure to alcohol: measurement of costs. J. FAS Intern. 4:e5. , , , , and .
- 2012. Autism characteristics in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Child Neuropsychol. 3:1–12. , , , and .
- 1999. Underrecognition of prenatal alcohol effects in infants of known alcohol abusing women. J. Pediatr. 135:430–436. 131: e779 , and .
- 1996. Fetal alcohol syndrome: diagnosis, epidemiology, prevention, and treatment. National Academy Press, Institute of Medicine, Washington DC. , , and .
- 2013. Facial dysmorphism acress the fetal alcohol spectrum. Pediatrics 131:e779–e788. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Fast and robust parameter estimation for statistical partial volume models in brain MRI. Neuroimage 23:84–97. , , and .
- 2008. Prenatal exposure to maternal cigarette smoking and the adolescent cerebral cortex. Neuropsychopharmacology 33:1019–1027. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Weschler abbreviated scale of intelligence. Psychological Corporation, New York, NY.
- 2008. Effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on hippocampal volume, verbal learning, and verbal and spatial recall in late childhood. J. Int. Neuropsychol. Soc. 14:1022–1033. , , , and .
- 2009. Microstructural corpus callosum anomalies in children with prenatal alcohol exposure: an extension of previous diffusion tensor imaging findings.. Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 33:1825–1834. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Abnormal cortical thickness alterations in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders and their relationships with facial dysmorphology. Cereb. Cortex 22:1170–1179. doi:10.1093/cercor/bhr193.s , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Developmental cortical thinning in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Neuroimage 58:16–25. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Automatic “pipeline” analysis of 3D MRI data for clinical trials: application to multiple sclerosis. IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging 21:1280–1291. , , and .