Funded in part by the German Research Association to MR (Grant No. DFG-RE 1692/4-1).
Genetically determined dopamine availability predicts disposition for depression
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
©2011 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 109–118, November 2011
How to Cite
Felten, A., Montag, C., Markett, S., Walter, N. T. and Reuter, M. (2011), Genetically determined dopamine availability predicts disposition for depression. Brain and Behavior, 1: 109–118. doi: 10.1002/brb3.20
- Issue published online: 31 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
- Received: 16 June 2011; Revised: 29 July 2011; Accepted: 31 August 2011
- 2011. Genetic variants within the dopaminergic system interact to modulate endocrine stress reactivity and recovery. Behav. Brain Res. 216:53–58 , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Additive effects of genetic variation in dopamine regulating genes on working memory cortical activity in human brain. J. Neurosci. 26:3918–3922. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Epistasis between dopamine regulating genes identifies a nonlinear response of the human hippocampus during memory tasks. Biol. Psychiatry 64:226–234. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. The role of dopamine in reward and pleasure behaviour—review of data from preclinical research. Acta Psychiatr. Scand. Suppl. 111:14–21. , and .
- 2002. Typical antipsychotic drugs—D(2) receptor occupancy and depressive symptoms in schizophrenia. Schizophr. Res. 56:31–36. , , , , and .
- 2003. Greater availability brain dopamine transporters in major depression shown by [99mTc] TRODAT-1 SPECT imaging. Am. J. Psychiatry 160:1836–1841. , , , and .
- 2007. Impact of the COMT Val108/158 Met and DAT genotypes on prefrontal function in healthy subjects. NeuroImage 37:1437–1444. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Functional analysis of genetic variation in catechol-Omethyltransferase (COMT): effects on mRNA, protein, and enzyme activity in postmortem human brain. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 75:807–821. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Relationship between SLC6A3 genotype and striatal dopamine transporter availability: a meta-analysis of human single photon emission computed tomography studies. Synapse. doi: 10.1002/syn.20927. , , , , and .
- 2011. The brain's emotional foundations of human personality and the affective neuroscience personality scales. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. doi: 10.1016/j.neubiorev.2011.04.004. , and .
- 2003. The affective neuroscience personality scales: normative data and implications. Neuro-Psychoanalysis 5:57–69. , , and .
- 2009. Negative emotionality: monoamine oxidase B gene variants modulate personality traits in healthy humans. J. Neural. Transm. 116:1323–1334. , , and .
- 2004. Association of the functional V158M catechol-O-methyl-transferase polymorphism with panic disorder in women. Int. J. Neuropsychopharmacol. 7:183–188. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. A continuum model of personality disorder. Psychol. Rep. 83:387–391
- 2009. Variation in dopamine genes influences responsivity of the human reward system. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 106:617–622. , , , , and .
- 2001. Amphetamine-induced dopamine release in human ventral striatum correlates with euphoria. Biol. Psychiatry. 49:81–96. , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. The role of dopamine in the pathophysiology of depression. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 64:327–337. , and .
- 2003. Association analysis of MAOA and COMT with neuroticism assessed by peers. Am. J. Med. Genet. B. Neuropsychiatr. Genet. 120B:90–96. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Genetics of alcoholism using intermediate phenotypes. Alcohol Clin. Exp. Res. 27:169–176. , , , and .
- 2001. The VNTR polymorphism of the human dopamine transporter (DAT1) gene affects gene expression. Pharmacogenomics J. 1:152–156. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Dopamine transporter regulates the enhancement of novelty processing by a negative emotional context. Neuropsychologia 48:1483–1488. , , , and .
- 1993. Molecular characterization of the dopamine transporter. Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 14:43–49. , and .
- 2005. The genetics of addictions: uncovering the genes. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6:521–532. , , and .
- 2002. Segmental linkage disequilibrium within the dopamine transporter gene. Mol. Psychiatry 7:165–173. , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. The dopamine transporter gene, a spectrum of most common risky behaviors, and the legal status of the behaviors. PLoS One 5:e9352. , , , , and .
- 2009. Cognitive and limbic circuits that are affected by deep brain stimulation. Front Biosci. 14:1823–1834. , and .
- 2008. Association between polymorphisms in the dopamine transporter gene and depression: evidence for a gene-environment interaction in a sample of juvenile detainees. Psychol. Sci. 19:62–69. Direct Link:, , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Genotype influences in vivo DAT availability in human striatum. Neuropsychopharmacology 22:133–139. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Association study of the dopamine transporter gene with personality traits and major depressive disorder in the Han Chinese population. Pharmacogenet. Genomics 21:94–97. , , , , and .
- 2007. Interaction between BDNF Val66Met and dopamine transporter gene variation influences anxiety- related traits. Neuropsychopharmacology 32:2552–2560. , , , , and .
- 2000. Prediction of dopamine transporter binding availability by genotype: a preliminary report. Am. J. Psychiatry 157:1700–1703. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. The genetic and environmental relationship between major depression and the five-factor model of personality. Psychol. Med. 40:801–806. , and .
- 2006. Striatal dopamine transporter availability and DAT-1 gene in adults with ADHD: no higher DAT availability in patients with homozygosity for the 10-repeat allele. World J. Biol. Psychiatry 7:152–157. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Human catechol-O-methyltransferase pharmacogenetics: description of a functional polymorphism and its potential application to neuropsychiatric disorders. Pharmacogenetics 6:243–250. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Gender dependent association of the functional catechol-O-methyltransferase Val158Met genotype with sensation seeking personality trait. Neuropsychopharmacology 1350:1950–1955. , , , and .
- 1995. SPECT imaging of striatal dopamine release after amphetamine challenge. J. Nucl. Med. 36:1182–1190. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Evidence suggesting the role of specific genetic factors in cigarette smoking. Health Psychol. 18:14–20. , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Dopamine transporter immunoreactivity in monkey cerebral cortex: regional, laminar, and ultrastructural localization. J. Comp. Neurol. 432:119–136. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Interaction between serotonin transporter gene, catechol-O-methyltransferase gene and stressful life events in mood disorders. Int. J. Neuropsychopharmacol. 10:437–447. , , , , , and .
- 2001. The variable number of tandem repeats polymorphism of the dopamine transporter gene is not associated with significant change in dopamine transporter phenotype in humans. Neuropsychopharmacology 24:553–560. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Association between catechol-O-methyltransferase and phobic anxiety. Am. J. Psychiatry 161:1703–1705. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Dopaminergic dysbalance in distinct basal ganglia neurocircuits: implications for the pathophysiology of Parkinson's disease, schizophrenia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Neurotox. Res. 10:167–179. , , and .
- 2005. Sulpiride and mnemonic function: effects of a dopamine D2 receptor antagonist on working memory, emotional memory and long-term memory in healthy volunteers. J. Psychopharmacol. 19:29–38. , , , , and .
- 2002. Expression of the DAT gene is regulated by the 3 UTR VNTR. Am. J. Med. Genet. 114:975–979. , , , , and .
- 2008. COMT genetic variation impacts fear processing: psychophysiological evidence. Behav. Neurosci. 122:901–909. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Epistasis of the DRD2/ANKK1 Taq Ia and the BDNF Val66Met polymorphism impacts novelty seeking and harm avoidance. Neuropsychopharmacology 35:1860–1867. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Association between the COMT Val158Met polymorphism and propensity to anxiety in an Australian population based longitudinal study of adolescent health. Psychiatric Genetics 15:109–115. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Depression and the role of genes involved in dopamine metabolism and signalling. Prog. Neurobiol. 92:112–133. , , and .
- 1998. Affective neuroscience. Oxford Publishing Group, Oxford , U.K. Pp. 206–222, 261–279.
- 2007. The met(158) allele of catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) is associated with obsessive compulsive disorder in men: case-control study and meta-analysis. Mol. Psychiatry 12:556–561. , , and .
- 2009. Epistasis between the DAT 3’ UTR VNTR and the COMT Val158Met SNP on cortical function in healthy subjects and patients with schizophrenia. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 106:13600–13605. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Association of serotonin and dopamine gene pathways with behavioral subphenotypes in dementia. Neurobiol. Aging Epub. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2010.06.011 , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Toward a molecular architecture of personality. Behav. Brain Res. 139:1–20. , and .
- 2008. Neuro-imaging and genetics. Pp. 317–344 in P. Corr, ed. The Reinforcement Sensitivity Theory of personality. Cambridge : Cambridge Univ. Press.
- 2005. Association of the functional COMT VAL158MET polymorphism with the personality trait of extraversion. NeuroReport 16:1135–1138. , and .
- 2006. Molecular genetics support Gray's personality theory: the interaction of COMT and DRD2 polymorphisms predicts the behavioral approach system. Int. J. Neuropsychopharmacology 9:155–166. , , , and .
- 2003. A functional single nucleotide polymorphism (V158M) in the COMT gene is associated with aggressive personality traits. Biol. Psychiatry 54:34–39. , , , , and .
- 1999. A genetic association for cigarette smoking behavior. Health Psychol. 18:7–13. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Family-based and case-control study of DRD2, DAT, 5HTT, COMT genes polymorphisms in alcohol dependence. Neurosci. Lett. 410:1–5. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Predictive reward signal of dopamine neurons. J. Neurophysiol. 80:1–27.
- 1998. Dopamine axon varicosities in the prelimbic division of the rat prefrontal cortex exhibit sparse immunoreactivity for the dopamine transporter. J. Neurosci. 18:2697–2708. , , , , and .
- 2003. The relation between depression and anxiety: an evaluation of the tripartite, approach-withdrawal and valence-arousal models. Clin. Psychol. Rev. 23:605–637. , and .
- 2005. COMT polymorphisms and anxiety-related personality traits. Neuropsychopharmacology 30:2092–2102. , , , and .
- 2006. Catechol-o-methyltransferase, cognition, and psychosis: Val158Met and beyond. Biol. Psychiatry 60:141–151. , , and .
- 1992. Human dopamine transporter gene (DAT1) gene maps to chromosome 5p15.3 and displays a VNTR. Genomics 14:1104–1106. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Increased dopamine transporter availability associated with the 9-repeat allele of the SLC6A3 gene. J. Nucl. Med. 46:745–751. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. The variable number of tandem repeats element in DAT1 regulates in vitro dopamine transporter density. BMC Genet. 6:55. , , and .
- 2003. Effects of catecholamine depletion on D2 receptor binding, mood, and attentiveness in humans: a replication study. Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 74:425–432. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Methylation pharmacogenetics: catechol O-methyltransferase, thiopurine methyltransferase, and histamine N-methyltransferase. Annu. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 39:19–52. , , and .
- 2004. The association between panic disorder and the L/L genotype of catechol-O-methyltransferase. J. Psychiatr. Res. 38:365–370. , , , , , and .
- 2009. The genetic basis of individual differences in reward processing and the link to addictive behavior and social cognition. Neuroscience 64:55–71 , and .
- 2007. Gene-gene interaction associated with neural reward sensitivity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 104:8125–8130. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. COMT val158met genotype affects mu-opioid neurotransmitter responses to a pain stressor. Science 299:1240–1243. , , , , , , , , and .