Funded by the Swiss National Fund for Scientific Research, grant no. 31-120471.
Genetic association of the Phosphoinositide-3 kinase in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and interaction with a BDNF gene polymorphism
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
©2011 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 119–124, November 2011
How to Cite
Carrard, A., Salzmann, A., Perroud, N., Gafner, J., Malafosse, A. and Karege, F. (2011), Genetic association of the Phosphoinositide-3 kinase in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and interaction with a BDNF gene polymorphism. Brain and Behavior, 1: 119–124. doi: 10.1002/brb3.23
- Issue published online: 31 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
- Received: 24 May 2011; Revised: 08 August 2011; Accepted: 10 September 2011
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. Roy. Stat. Soc. Ser. B 57:289–300. , and .
- 2008. Regulation of T cell integrin function by adapter proteins. Immunol. Res. 42:132–144. , and .
- 2007. A novel role for autophagy in neurodevelopment. Autophagy 3:506–508. , , , , , , , , , and , et al.
- 2006. Genes for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder? Implications for psychiatric nosology. Schizophr. Bull. 32:9–16. , , and .
- 2008. Analysis of BDNF Val66Met allele-specific mRNA levels in bipolar disorder. Neurosci. Lett. 441:229–23. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. A family-based association study of schizophrenia with polymorphisms at three candidate genes. Neurosci. Lett. 379:32–36. , , , , , , , et al. , and .
- 2005. Neurotrophic factors and regulation of mood: role of exercise, diet and metabolism. Neurobiol. Aging 26(Suppl 1):88–93.
- 2009. Rethinking phosphatidylinositol 3-monophosphate. Biochem. Biophys. Acta. 1793:1795–1803. , and .
- 1998. Phosphoinositide kinases. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 67: 481–507. , , and .
- 2001. Neurotrophins: role in neuronal development and function. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 24:677–736. , and .
- 2001. PI-3 kinase and IP3: partners in NT3-induced synaptic transmission. Nat. Neurosci. 4:5–7. , and .
- 2002. Decreased serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels in major depressed patients. Psychiatry Res. 109:143–148. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Cell biology of BDNF and its relevance to schizophrenia. Novartis Found. Symp. 289:119–29. Review. , and .
- 1994. Diagnostic interview for genetic studies. Rationale, unique features, and training. NIMH Genetics Initiative. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 51:849–859. ., , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. The brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene confers susceptibility to bipolar disorder: evidence from a family-based association study. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 71:651–655. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Diagnostic interview for genetic studies (DIGS): inter-rater and test-retest reliability of the French version. Eur. Arch. Psychiatry Clin. Neurosci. 249:174–179. , , , , and
- 2006. Neurotrophin-regulated signalling pathways. Philos. Trans. R Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 361:1545–1564.
- 2005. Analsis of PI3KC3 promoter variant in African-American with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Res. 76:361–362. , , and .
- 2003. Neurotrophin-3 signaling maintains maturational homeostasis between neuronal populations in the olfactory epithelium. Mol. Cell Neurosci. 24:858–874 , , , , , , and
- 2008. Shared gene expression alterations in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Biol. Psychiatry 64:89–97. , and .
- 2004. Identification of PIK3C3 promoter variant associated with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Biol. Psychiatry 55:981–988. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor induces proliferation, migration, and VEGF secretion in human multiple myeloma cells via activation of MEK-ERK and PI3K/AKT signaling. Tumour Biol. 31:121–128. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. No evidence for an association between the BDNF Val66Met polymorphism and schizophrenia or personality traits. Schizophr. Res. 87:45–47. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Signalling through the lipid products of phosphoinositide-3-OH kinase. Nature 387:673–676. , and .
- 1999. Signaling by distinct classes of Phosphoinositide 3-kinases. Exp. Cell. Res. 253:239–254. , and .
- 2008. Association between brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene and a severe form of bipolar disorder, but no interaction with the serotonin transporter gene. Bipolar Disord. 10:580–587. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The neurodevelopmental implications of PI3K signaling. Curr. Top. Microbiol. Immunol. 346:245–265. , and .
- 2006. No association between the brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene and schizophrenia in a Japanese population. Schizophr. Res. 84:29–35. , , , , and .
- 1999. A two-stage genome scan for schizophrenia susceptibility genes in 196 affected sibling pairs. Hum. Mol. Genet. 8:1729–1739. , , , , , , , , , , et al.