Funded by grants from FORSS (Medical Research Council of Southeast Sweden) and Futurum—the academy for healthcare, Jönköping County council.
Polymorphisms of GSTT1, GSTM1, and EPHX genotypes in patients with cryptogenic polyneuropathy: a case–control study
Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2012
©2011 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 135–141, November 2011
How to Cite
Lindh, J., Söderkvist, P., Fredrikson, M., Hosseininia, S., Tondel, M., Persson, B. and Vrethem, M. (2011), Polymorphisms of GSTT1, GSTM1, and EPHX genotypes in patients with cryptogenic polyneuropathy: a case–control study. Brain and Behavior, 1: 135–141. doi: 10.1002/brb3.26
- Issue online: 31 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2012
- Received: 14 June 2011; Revised: 02 September 2011; Accepted: 12 September 2011
- 2009. GSTM1 and GSTT1 deletion genotypes in various spontaneous optic neuropathies in Arabs. Br. J. Ophthalmol. 93:1101–1104. , , and .
- 1996. A multiplex polymerase chain reaction protocol for the simultaneous analysis of the glutathione S-transferase GSTM1 and GSTT1 polymorphisms. Anal. Biochem. 236:184–186. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Glutathione S-transferase M1 and T1 polymorphisms may predict adverse effects after therapy in children with medulloblastoma. Neuro. Oncol. 11:292–300. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Chronic symmetric symptomatic polyneuropathy in the elderly: a field screening investigation in two Italian regions. I. Prevalence and general characteristics of the sample. Neurology 45:1832–1836. , and , (IGPSG) IGPSG.
- 1998. Association between lung cancer and microsomal epoxide hydrolase genotypes. Cancer Res. 58:5291–5293. , , , , and .
- 1993. N-hexane neuropathy in offset printers. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry 56:538–542. , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. A case-control study of Parkinson's disease and tobacco use: gene-tobacco interactions. Mov. Disord. 25:912–919. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. Gene-environment interactions in parkinsonism and Parkinson's disease: the Geoparkinson study. Occup. Environ. Med. 64:673–680. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1999. n-Hexane and Methyl n-Butyl Keton. In: occupational and environmental neurotoxicology . Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia , PA . Pp. 290–317.
- 2010. Genome-wide association studies: the key to unlocking neurodegeneration? Nat. Neurosci. 13:789–794. , and .
- 2001. Metabolic gene polymorphism frequencies in control populations. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 10:1239–1248. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2009. Genetic polymorphism in glutathione transferases (GST): population distribution of GSTM1, T1, and P1 conjugating activity. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health B: Crit. Rev. 12:389–439. , , , , , and .
- 1988. Axonal transport in neurological disease. Ann. Neurol. 23:3–13. , and .
- 1982. Epoxide hydrolase: properties and metabolic roles. Rev. Biochem. Toxicol. 4:4–30. .
- 1994. Human microsomal epoxide hydrolase: genetic polymorphism and functional expression in vitro of amino acid variants.[erratum appears in Hum Mol Genet 1994 Jul;3(7):1214]. Hum. Mol. Genet. 3:421–428. , , , and .
- 2000. Glutathione S-transferase polymorphisms and their biological consequences. Pharmacology 61:154–166. , and .
- 2005. Genetic variants of TP53 and EPHX1 in Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy and their relationship to age at onset. Jpn. J. Ophthalmol. 49:121–126. , , , , and .
- 1996. Microsomal epoxide hydrolase polymorphism as a risk factor for ovarian cancer. Mol. Carcinog. 17:160–162. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Glutathione S-transferase P1 polymorphism (Ile105Val) predicts cumulative neuropathy in patients receiving oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy. Clin. Cancer Res. 12:3050–3056. , , , , and .
- 2005. Cryptogenic polyneuropathy: clinical and neurophysiological findings. J. Peripher. Nerv. Syst. 10:31–37. , , , and .
- 1985. The isoenzymes of glutathione transferase. Adv. Enzymol. Relat. Areas Mol. Biol. 57:357–417.
- 1997. Epidemiology of peripheral neuropathy. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry 62:310–318. , and .
- 1973. Mammalian epoxide hydrases: inducible enzymes catalysing the inactivation of carcinogenic and cytotoxic metabolites derived from aromatic and olefinic compounds. Xenobiotica 3:305–340.
- 1993. Human peripheral lymphocytes as indicators of microsomal epoxide hydrolase activity in liver and lung. Pharmacogenetics 3:150–158. , , , and .
- 1997. Molecular epidemiology of the human glutathione S-transferase genotypes GSTM1 and GSTT1 in cancer susceptibility. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 6:733–743. .
- 2010. Chromosome 9p21 in sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in the UK and seven other countries: a genome-wide association study. Lancet Neurol. 9:986–994. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1997. Association between polymorphism in gene for microsomal epoxide hydrolase and susceptibility to emphysema. Lancet 350:630–633. , and .
- 1996. Glutathione S-transferase M1 null genotype as a risk modifier for solvent-induced chronic toxic encephalopathy. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health 22:360–363. , , , , .
- 2000. Experimental and clinical neurotoxicology . Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford . , and .
- 1979. Does a defect of energy metabolism in the nerve fiber underlie axonal degeneration in polyneuropathies? Ann. Neurol. 5:501–507. , , , and .
- 2005. Vascular risk factors and diabetic neuropathy. N. Engl. J. Med. 352:341–350. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Is cardiovascular disease a risk factor in the development of axonal polyneuropathy? J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry 72:590–595. , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Factors affecting toxic responses: metabolism. Pp. 65–110 in T Francis, ed. Principles of biochemical toxicology . Taylor & Francis Ltd., London .
- 2006. Occupational determinants of cryptogenic polyneuropathy. Neuroepidemiology 26:187–194. , , , , and .
- 1998. Characterization of the human class Mu glutathione S-transferase gene cluster and the GSTM1 deletion. J. Biol. Chem. 273:3517–3527. , , , and .
- 2006. Association between metabolic gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to peripheral nerve damage in workers exposed to n-hexane: a preliminary study. Biomarkers 11:61–69. , , , , , , , , and .