Specialization and integration of brain responses to object recognition and location detection
Version of Record online: 29 NOV 2011
©2011 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 6–14, January 2012
How to Cite
Pennick, M. R. and Kana, R. K. (2012), Specialization and integration of brain responses to object recognition and location detection. Brain and Behavior, 2: 6–14. doi: 10.1002/brb3.27
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 29 NOV 2011
- Received: 29 June 2011; Revised: 04 October 2011; Accepted: 10 October 2011
- 2004. Selection, integration, and conflict monitoring: assessing the nature and generality of prefrontal cognitive control mechanisms. Neuron 41:473–487. , and .
- 2006. Top-down facilitation of visual recognition. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103:449–454. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Visually guided pointing, the Muller-Lyer illusion, and the functional interpretation of dorsal-ventral split: conclusions from 33 independent studies. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 32:423–437. , , and .
- 1999. The predictive value of changes in effective connectivity for human learning. Science 283:1538–1541. , , and .
- 2001. Integrated model of visual processing. Brain Res. Brain Res. Rev. 36:96–107.
- 2009. TMS-adaptation reveals abstract letter selectivity in the left posterior parietal cortex. Cereb. Cortex 19:2321–2325. , , , , and .
- 2006. The precuneus: a review of its functional anatomy and behavioral correlates. Brain 129:564–583. , and .
- 2007. FMRI reveals a dissociation between grasping and perceiving the size of real 3D objects. PLoS One 5:e424. , , and .
- 2004. Color discrimination involves ventral and dorsal stream visual areas. Cereb. Cortex 14:803–822. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Activation of the left inferior frontal gyrus in the first 200 ms of reading: evidence from magnetoencephalography (MEG). PLoS One 4:1–13. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Differential brain activation patterns in adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) associated with task switching. Neuropsychology 24:413–423. , , , , and .
- 2006. The neural correlates of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: an ALE meta-analysis. J. Child Psychol. Psychiatry 47:1051–1062. , , , and .
- 2007. Detecting functional nodes in large-scale cortical networks with functional magnetic resonance imaging: a principal component analysis of the human visual system. Hum. Brain Mapp. 28:817–834. , , , and .
- 1994. Functional and effective connectivity in neuroimaging: a synthesis. Hum. Brain Mapp. 2:56–78.
- 1998. The role of left prefrontal cortex in language and memory. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95:906–913. , , and .
- 2000. Categorization and category effects in normal object recognition a PET study. Neuropsychologia 38:1693–1703. , , , and .
- 2002. Common prefrontal regions coactivate with dissociable posterior regions during controlled semantic and phonological tasks. Neuron 35:803–812. , and .
- 2005. Common and dissociable activation patterns associated with controlled semantic and phonological processing: evidence from fMRI adaptation. Cereb. Cortex 9:1438–1450. , , , and .
- 1992. Separate visual pathways for perception and action. Trends Neurosci. 15:20–25. , and .
- 2000. Abnormalities in the thalamus and prefrontal cortex during episodic object recognition in schizophrenia. Biol. Psychiatry 48:651–657. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Interconnected large-scale systems for three fundamental cognitive tasks revealed by functional MRI. J. Cog. Neurosci. 13:389–405. , , and .
- 2007. The parieto-frontal integration theory (P-FIT) of intelligence: converging neuroimaging evidence. Behav. Brain Sci. 30:135–187. , and .
- 2004. Selection from perceptual and conceptual representations. Cog. Affect Behav. Neurosci. 4:466–482. , and .
- 1996. Functional imaging of human visual recognition. Cog. Brain Res. 5:55–67. , , , and .
- 2004. Kaufman Brief Intelligence Test. 2nd ed. American Guidance Service, Circle Pines , MN . , and .
- 2008. Representation of eye movements and stimulus motion in topographically organized areas of human posterior parietal cortex. J. Neurosci. 28:8375–8361. , and .
- 1998. 4 T-fMRI study of nonspatial shifting of selective attention: cerebellar and parietal contributions. J. Neurophysiol. 79:1535–1548. , , and .
- 2007. Action-related properties of objects shape object representations in the ventral stream. Neuron 55:507–520. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Representation, inference, and transcendent encoding in neurocognitive networks of the human brain. Ann. Neurol. 64:367–378.
- 1999. Transient neural activity in the medial superior frontal gyrus and precuneus time locked attention shift between object features. Neuroimage 10:193–199. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Disconnection of frontal and parietal areas contributes to impaired attention in very early Alzheimer's disease. J. Alzheimers Dis. 25:309–321. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Beyond sensory images: object-based representation in the human ventral pathway. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101:5658–5663. , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Evidence accumulation and the moment of recognition: dissociating perceptual recognition processes using fMRI. J. Neurosci. 27:11912–11924. , , , , , and .
- 1996. The neural regions sustaining object recognition and naming. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263:1501–1507. , , , , and .
- 2004. Neural substrates of tactile object recognition: an fMRI study. Hum. Brain Mapp. 21:236–246. , , and .
- 2009. Response-dependent contributions of human primary motor cortex and angular gyrus to manual and perceptual sequence learning. J. Neurosci. 29:15115–15125. , , , and .
- 2006. Concurrent visuomotor behavior improves from discrimination in a patient with visual form agnosia. Eur. J. Neurosci. 24:1495–1503. , and .
- 2010. Altered brain response without behavioral attention deficits in healthy siblings of schizophrenic patients—an event related fMRI study. Neuroimage 49:1080–1090. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Surface orientation discrimination activates caudal and anterior intraparietal sulcus in humans: an event-related fMRI study. J. Neurophysiol. 85:1309–1314. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Mirror-image representation of action in the anterior parietal cortex. Nat. Neurosci. 11:1267–1269. , and .
- 2002. Effects of frontal lobe damage on interference effects in working memory. Cog. Affect Behav. Neurosci. 2:109–120. , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Effects of semantic and associative relatedness on automatic priming. J. Mem. Lang. 38:440–458. , , and .
- 1982. Two cortical visual systems. in D. J. Ingle, M. A. Goodale, and R. J. W. Mansfield, eds. Analysis of visual behavior. MIT, Cambridge , MA . , and .
- 2006. A double dissociation between sensitivity to changes in object identity and object orientation in the ventral and dorsal visual streams: a human fMRI study. Neuropsychologia 44:218–228. , , , , and .
- 2001. Recovering meaning: left prefrontal cortex guides controlled semantic retrieval. Neuron 31:329–338. , , , and .