Beyond vascularization: aerobic fitness is associated with N-acetylaspartate and working memory
Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 32–41, January 2012
How to Cite
Erickson, K. I., Weinstein, A. M., Sutton, B. P., Prakash, R. S., Voss, M. W., Chaddock, L., Szabo, A. N., Mailey, E. L., White, S. M., Wojcicki, T. R., McAuley, E. and Kramer, A. F. (2012), Beyond vascularization: aerobic fitness is associated with N-acetylaspartate and working memory. Brain and Behavior, 2: 32–41. doi: 10.1002/brb3.30
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2012
- Received: 29 April 2011; Revised: 21 November 2011; Accepted: 27 November 2011
- 1986. The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 51:1173–1182. , and .
- 1990. Learning causes synaptogenesis, whereas motor activity causes angiogenesis, in cerebellar cortex of adult rats. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 87:5568–5572. , , , , and .
- (2011). Exercise moderates age-related atrophy of the medial temporal lobe. Neurobiol. Aging 32:506–514. , .
- 2009. The effect of exercise on the cerebral vasculature of healthy aged subjects as visualized by MR angiography. Am. J. Neuroradiol. 30:1857–1863. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Using network science to evaluate exercise-associated brain changes in older adults. Front Aging Neurosci. 2:1–10. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Cardiorespiratory fitness and brain atrophy in early Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 71:210–216. , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Graphical methods for data analysis (Wadsworth). Duxbury Press, Boston . , , , and .
- 2006. Insulin-like growth factor I interfaces with brain-derived neurotrophic factor-mediated synaptic plasticity to modulate aspects of exercise-induced cognitive function. Neuroscience 140:823–833. , , , , and .
- 2010a. A neuroimaging investigation of the association between aerobic fitness, hippocampal volume, and memory performance in preadolescent children. Brain Res. 1358:172–183. , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010b. Basal ganglia volume is associated with aerobic fitness in preadolescent children. Dev. Neurosci. 32:249–256. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Aerobic fitness reduces brain tissue loss in aging humans. J. Gerontol. A. Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 58:176–180. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Cardiovascular fitness, cortical plasticity, and aging. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 101:3316–3321. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Aerobic exercise training increases brain volume in aging humans. J. Gerontol. A. Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 61:1166–1170. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Exercise: a behavioral intervention to enhance brain health and plasticity. Trends Neurosci. 25:295–301. , and .
- 2009. Aerobic exercise effects on cognitive and neural plasticity in older adults. Br. J. Sports Med. 43:22–24. , and .
- 2007. Interactive effects of fitness and hormone treatment on brain health in postmenopausal women. Neurobiol. Aging 28:179–185. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Aerobic fitness is associated with hippocampal volume in elderly humans. Hippocampus 19:1030–1039. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Physical activity predicts gray matter volume in late adulthood: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Neurology 75:1415–1422. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Exercise training increases size of hippocampus and improves memory. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 108:3017–3022. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Mediation analysis: a retrospective snapshot of practice and more recent directions. J. Gen. Psychol. 136:153–176. , , and .
- 2008. Neuroanatomical correlates of aging, cardiopulmonary fitness level, and education. Psychophysiology 45:825–838. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Be smart, exercise your heart: exercise effects on brain and cognition. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 9:58–65. , , and .
- 2009. Cardiorespiratory fitness and preserved medial temporal lobe volume in Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Dis. Assoc. Disord. 23:188–197. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Cortical synaptogenesis and motor map reorganization occur during late, but not early, phase of motor skill learning. J. Neurosci. 24:628–633. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Exercise, cognition, and the aging brain. J. Appl. Physiol. 101:1237–1242. , , and .
- 1988. Aspartoacylase deficiency and N-acetylaspartic aciduria in patients with Canavan disease. Am. J. Med. Genet. 29:463–471. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Immunohistochemical localization of N-acetylaspartate in rat brain. Neuroreport 2:131–134. , , , and .
- 2007. N-Acetylaspartate in the CNS: from neurodiagnostics to neurobiology. Prog. Neurobiol. 81:89–131. , , , , and .
- 1972. Metabolism of the aspartyl moiety of N-acetyl-L-aspartic acid in the rat brain. J. Neurochem. 19:2091–2105. , and .
- 2010. Hippocampal plasticity in response to exercise in schizophrenia. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry. 67:133–143. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. An in vivo correlate of exercise-induced neurogenesis in the adult dentate gyrus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 104:5638–5643. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Voxel-based morphometry reveals an association between aerobic capacity and grey matter density in the right anterior insula. Neuroscience 163:1102–1108. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Cardiorespiratory fitness: a predictor of cortical plasticity in multiple sclerosis. Neuroimage 34:1238–1244. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Aerobic fitness is associated with gray matter volume and white matter integrity in multiple sclerosis. Brain Res. 1341:41–51. , , , and .
- 2011. Cardiorespiratory fitness and attention control in the aging brain. Front Hum. Neurosci. 4:229. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Asymptotic and resampling strategies for assessing and comparing indirect effects in multiple mediator models. Behav. Res. Methods 40:879–891. , and .
- 2006. Exercise-induced changes in dendritic structure and complexity in the adult hippocampal dentate gyrus. Neuroscience 137:1299–307. , and .
- 2010. Psychomotor speed and functional brain MRI 2 years after completing a physical activity treatment. J. Gerontol A. Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 65:639–647. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The effect of midlife physical activity on structural brain changes in the elderly. Neurobiol. Aging 31:1927–1936. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Effects of aerobic exercise training on cognitive function and cortical vascularity in monkeys. Neuroscience 167:1239–1248. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Magnetic resonance spectroscopy in cognitive research. Brain Res. Brain Res. Rev. 44:83–102. , and .
- 1999. Validity, reliability, and standard errors of measurement for two seven-subtest short forms of the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale—III. Psychol. Assess. 11:207–211. , and .
- 1986. Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS): recent evidence and development of a shorter version. Pp. 165–173 in Terry Brink, PhD, ed. Clinical gerontology: a guide to assessment and intervention . The Haworth Press, New York . , and .
- 2011. Interactive effects of physical activity and APOE-e4 on BOLD semantic memory activation in healthy elders. Neuroimage 54:635–44. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1987. Modified mini-mental state examination: validity and reliability. Neurology 37:179. , , , and .
- 1999. Running enhances neurogenesis, learning, and long-term potentiation in mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 96:13427–13431. , , , and .
- 2005. Exercise enhances learning and hippocampal neurogenesis in aged mice. J. Neurosci. 25:8680–8685. , , , and .
- 2010a. Plasticity of brain networks in a randomized intervention trial of exercise training in older adults. Front Aging Neurosci. 32:1–17. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010b. Functional connectivity: a source of variance in the association between cardiorespiratory fitness and cognition?Neuropsychologia 48:1394–1406. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. WAIS-III administration and scoring manual. The Psychological Corp, San Antonio , TX .
- 2010. Reconsidering Baron and Kenny: myths and truths about mediation analysis. J Consum Res 37:197–206. , , and .