Why the United States Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) should not extend reimbursement indications for carotid artery angioplasty/stenting
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2012
This article was published in European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Vol. 43, Abbott A., et al., Why the United States Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services should not extend reimbursement indications for carotid artery angioplasty/stenting, Copyright 2012 European Society for Vascular Surgery. Published by Elsevier Limited. All rights reserved (doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2011.12.006). Permission to re-publish in Brain and Behavior has been obtained.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 200–207, March 2012
How to Cite
Abbott, A. L., Adelman, M. A. A., Alexandrov, A. V., Barnett, H. J. M., Beard, J., Bell, P., Björck, M., Blacker, D., Buckley, C. J., Cambria, R. P., Comerota, A. J., Connolly, E. S., Davies, A. H., Eckstein, H.-H., Faruqi, R., Fraedrich, G., Gloviczki, P., Hankey, G. J., Harbaugh, R. E., Heldenberg, E., Kittner, S. J., Kleinig, T. J., Mikhailidis, D. P., Moore, W. S., Naylor, R., Nicolaides, A., Paraskevas, K. I., Pelz, D. M., Prichard, J. W., Purdie, G., Ricco, J.-B., Riles, T., Rothwell, P., Sandercock, P., Sillesen, H., Spence, J. D., Spinelli, F., Tan, A., Thapar, A., Veith, F. J. and Zhou, W. (2012), Why the United States Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) should not extend reimbursement indications for carotid artery angioplasty/stenting. Brain and Behavior, 2: 200–207. doi: 10.1002/brb3.32
- Issue published online: 26 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2012
- Received: 9 December 2011; Accepted: 10 December 2011
- 2009. Medical (nonsurgical) intervention alone is now best for prevention of stroke associated with asymptomatic severe carotid stenosis: results of a systematic review and analysis. Stroke 40:e573–e583.
- 2010. Why all the landmark trials supporting surgery to prevent strokes from carotid stenosis are now obsolete: when is carotid intervention now indicated? Presented at the 37th Annual Vascular and Endovascular Issues, Techniques and Horizons (VEITHsymposium). New York Hilton, New York City . Available online: http://www.veithsymposium.org/pdf/vei/3766.pdf
- 2011. Restenosis is more frequent after carotid stenting than after endarterectomy: the EVA-3S study. Stroke 42:1015–1020. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Best medical treatment is best for most asymptomatic cases. Presented at the 38th Annual Vascular and Endovascular Issues, Techniques and Horizons (VEITHsymposium). New York Hilton, New York City . Available online: http://www.veithsymposium.org/pdf/vei/4583.pdf
- 2011. Dramatic increases in carotid stenting despite nonconclusive data. Arch. Intern. Med. 171:1794–1795. , and .
- 2011. Myocardial infarction after carotid stenting and endarterectomy: results from the carotid revascularization endarterectomy versus stenting trial. Circulation 123:2571–2578. , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010a. Short-term outcome after stenting versus endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis: a preplanned meta-analysis of individual patient data. Lancet 376:1062–1073. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Long-term risk of carotid restenosis in patients randomly assigned to endovascular treatment or endarterectomy in the Carotid and Vertebral Artery Transluminal Angioplasty Study (CAVATAS): long-term follow-up of a randomised trial. Lancet Neurol. 8:908–917. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Age modifies the relative risk of stenting versus endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis – a pooled analysis of EVA-3S, SPACE and ICSS. Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 41:153–158. , and .
- 2010b. New ischaemic brain lesions on MRI after stenting or endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis: a substudy of the International Carotid Stenting Study (ICSS). Lancet Neurol. 9:353–362. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. The challenges of intracranial revascularization for stroke prevention. N. Engl. J. Med. 365:1054–1055.
- 2004. Carotid angioplasty and stenting versus carotid endarterectomy for treatment of asymptomatic carotid stenosis: a randomized trial in a community hospital. Neurosurgery 54:318–324; discussion 324–325. , , , , and .
- 2011. ASA/ACCF/ AHA/AANN/AANS/ACR/ASNR/CNS/SAIP/SCAI/SIR/SNIS/ SVM/SVS Guideline on the management of patients with extracranial carotid and vertebral artery disease: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines, and the American Stroke Association, American Association of Neuroscience Nurses, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, American College of Radiology, American Society of Neuroradiology, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Society of Atherosclerosis Imaging and Prevention, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society of Interventional Radiology, Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery, Society for Vascular Medicine, and Society for Vascular Surgery. Stroke42(8):e420–e463. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Stenting versus endarterectomy for treatment of carotid-artery stenosis. N. Engl. J. Med. 363:11–23. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- Carotid Stenting Guidelines Committee. 2011. An inter-collegiate committee of the RACP (ANZAN, CSANZ), RACS (ANZSVS) and RANZCR. Guidelines for patient selection and performance of CAS. Intern. Med. J. 41:344–347.
- 2005. Carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid stenosis. Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. Issue 4, Article CD001923. , and .
- 2011. Stenting versus aggressive medical therapy for intracranial arterial stenosis. N. Engl. J. Med. 365:993–1003. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ., , , , and .
- 2008. Results of the Stent-Protected Angioplasty versus Carotid Endarterectomy (SPACE) study to treat symptomatic stenoses at 2 years: a multinational, prospective, randomised trial. Lancet Neurol. 7:893–902. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Carotid artery stenting versus carotid endarterectomy: a comprehensive meta-analysis of short-term and long-term outcomes. Stroke 42:687–692. , , , , and .
- 2010. Carotid artery stenting compared with endarterectomy in patients with symptomatic carotid stenosis (International Carotid Stenting Study): an interim analysis of a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 375:985–997. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- European Carotid Surgery Trialists’ Collaborative Group. 1998. Randomised trial of endarterectomy for recently symptomatic carotid stenosis: final results of the MRC European Carotid Surgery Trial (ECST). Lancet 351:1379–1387.
- Executive Committee for the Asymptomatic Carotid Atherosclerosis Study. 1995. Endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis. JAMA 273:1421–1428.
- 2011. Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke or transient ischemic attack: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke 42:227–276. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Stroke and death after carotid endarterectomy and carotid artery stenting with and without high risk criteria. J. Vasc. Surg. 52:1497–1504. , , , , and .
- 2007. Asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis and the risk of new vascular events in patients with manifest arterial disease: the SMART study. Stroke 38:1470–1475. , , , , and .
- 2011. Guidelines for the primary prevention of stroke. A guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke 42(2):517–584. Epub 2010 Dec 2. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. 10-year stroke prevention after successful carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic stenosis (ACST-1): a multicentre randomised trial. Lancet 376:1074–1084. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Prevention of disabling and fatal strokes by successful carotid endarterectomy in patients without recent neurological symptoms: randomised controlled trial. Lancet 363:1491–1502. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Ischaemic stroke–prevention is better than cure. J. R. Coll. Physicians Edinb. 40:56–63.
- 2011. The nationwide inpatient sample may contain inaccurate data for carotid endarterectomy and carotid stenting. J. Vasc. Surg. 2012; 55:263–6.
- 1993. Efficacy of carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid stenosis. The veterans affairs cooperative study group. N. Engl. J. Med. 328:221–227. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Asymptomatic embolisation for prediction of stroke in the Asymptomatic Carotid Emboli Study (ACES): a prospective observational study. Lancet Neurol. 9:663–671. , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Low risk of ipsilateral stroke in patients with asymptomatic carotid stenosis on best medical treatment: a prospective, population-based study. Stroke 41:e11–e17. , , , and .
- 2006. Endarterectomy versus stenting in patients with symptomatic severe carotid stenosis. N. Engl. J. Med. 355:1660–1671. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Endarterectomy Versus Angioplasty in Patients with Symptomatic Severe Carotid Stenosis (EVA-3S) trial: results up to 4 years from a randomised, multicentre trial. Lancet Neurol. 7:885–892. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1991. Carotid endarterectomy and prevention of cerebral ischemia in symptomatic carotid stenosis. Veterans Affairs Cooperative Studies Program 309 Trialist Group. JAMA 266:3289–3294. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Physician specialty and carotid stenting among elderly medicare beneficiaries in the United States. Arch. Intern. Med. 171(20):1804–1810. , , , , and .
- 2011. What is the current status of invasive treatment of extracranial carotid artery disease? Stroke 42:2080–2085.
- 2012a. Hearts and Minds. Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 2012a; 43:1–3.
- 2012b. Time to rethink management strategies in asymptomatic carotid artery disease. Nat. Rev. Cardiol. 2012b; 9:116–24.
- 2009. Who benefits most from interventions for asymptomatic carotid stenosis: patients or professionals? Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 37:625–632. , , and .
- North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial Collaborators. 1991. Beneficial effect of carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients with high-grade carotid stenosis. North American symptomatic carotid endarterectomy trial collaborators. N. Engl. J. Med. 325:445–453.
- 2011a. Optimal contemporary management of symptomatic and asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis. Vascular 19:117–120. , , , and .
- 2011b. Cost implications of more widespread carotid artery stenting consistent with the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Guideline. J. Vasc. Surg. 55:585–587. , , and .
- 2011c. Is carotid artery stenting a fair alternative to carotid endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid artery stenosis? Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 41:717–719. , , , and .
- 2011d. Is carotid artery stenting a fair alternative to carotid endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid artery stenosis? A commentary on the AHA/ASA guidelines. J. Vasc. Surg. 54:541–543; discussion 543. , , , and .
- Squandering Medicare's money. New York Times. May 26, 2011, p. A35. Available online: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/26/opinion/26redberg.html
- 2011. Carotid endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis. Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. Issue 4, Article CD001081. , and .
- 2011. Outcome of carotid artery interventions among female patients, 2004 to 2005. J. Vasc. Surg. 53:1457–1464. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Change in stroke incidence, mortality, case-fatality, severity, and risk factors in Oxfordshire, UK from 1981 to 2004 (Oxford Vascular Study). Lancet 363:1925–1933. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Risk-adjusted 30-day outcomes of carotid stenting and endarterectomy: results from the SVS Vascular Registry. J. Vasc. Surg. 49:71–79. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Safety of stenting and endarterectomy by symptomatic status in the Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy Versus Stenting Trial (CREST). Stroke 42:675–680. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Effects of intensive medical therapy on microemboli and cardiovascular risk in asymptomatic carotid stenosis. Arch. Neurol. 67:180–186. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Asymptomatic carotid stenosis: identifying patients at high enough risk to warrant endarterectomy or stenting. Stroke 42. Epub 2011 Jul 28. , , and .
- 2005. Life-years gained from modern cardiological treatments and population risk factor changes in England and Wales, 1981–2000. Am. J. Public Health 95:103–108. , , , and .
- 2004. Protected carotid-artery stenting versus endarterectomy in high-risk patients. N. Engl. J. Med. 351:1493–501. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .