Oxaliplatin-induced neurotoxicity involves TRPM8 in the mechanism of acute hypersensitivity to cold sensation
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 68–73, January 2012
How to Cite
Kono, T., Satomi, M., Suno, M., Kimura, N., Yamazaki, H., Furukawa, H. and Matsubara, K. (2012), Oxaliplatin-induced neurotoxicity involves TRPM8 in the mechanism of acute hypersensitivity to cold sensation. Brain and Behavior, 2: 68–73. doi: 10.1002/brb3.34
- Issue published online: 30 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2012
- Received: 20 September 2011; Accepted: 14 December 2011
- 2005. TRPM8 protein localization in trigeminal ganglion and taste papillae. Brain Res. Mol. Brain Res. 136:91–98. , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. The chemotherapeutic oxaliplatin alters voltage-gated Na (+) channel kinetics on rat sensory neurons. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 406:25–32. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Modulation of oral heat and cold pain by irritant chemicals. Chem. Senses. 33:3–15. , , and .
- 2010. Amelioration of oxaliplatin neurotoxicity by drugs in humans and experimental animals: a minireview of recent literature. Basic Clin. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 106:272–279.
- 2009. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of pain. Cell 139:267–284. , , , and .
- 2009. Oxaliplatin neurotoxicity–no general ion channel surface-charge effect. J. Negat. Results Biomed. 8:2. , , , , and .
- 2001. Differential projections of thermoreceptive and nociceptive lamina I trigeminothalamic and spinothalamic neurons in the cat. J. Neurophysiol. 86:856–870. , and .
- 2007. Mice left out in the cold: commentary on the phenotype of TRPM8-nulls. Mol. Pain 3:23. , and .
- 2008. Visualizing cold spots: TRPM8-expressing sensory neurons and their projections. J. Neurosci. 28:566–575. , , , and .
- 2009. Transient receptor potential channels on sensory nerves. Handb. Exp. Pharmacol. 194:261–281. , and .
- 2002. Clinical aspects and molecular basis of oxaliplatin neurotoxicity: current management and development of preventive measures. Semin. Oncol. 29:21–33. , , , and .
- 2006. Oxaliplatin neurotoxicity. Bull. Cancer 93(Suppl. 1):S17–S22. , , , and .
- 2008. Oxaliplatin-related neurotoxicity: interest of calcium-magnesium infusion and no impact on its efficacy. J. Clin. Oncol. 26:1188–1189; author reply. 1189–1190. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. TRP channels entering the structural era. J. Physiol. 586:3565–3575.
- 2001. A possible explanation for a neurotoxic effect of the anticancer agent oxaliplatin on neuronal voltage-gated sodium channels. J. Neurophysiol. 85:2293–2297. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Oxaliplatin-safety profile: neurotoxicity. Semin. Oncol. 30:5–13.
- 2003. Lessons from peppers and peppermint: the molecular logic of thermosensation. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 13:487–492. , , and .
- 2010. TRPM8, but not TRPA1, is required for neural and behavioral responses to acute noxious cold temperatures and cold-mimetics in vivo. Pain 150:340–350. , , , and .
- 2005. Distinct expression of TRPM8, TRPA1, and TRPV1 mRNAs in rat primary afferent neurons with adelta/c-fibers and colocalization with trk receptors. J. Comp. Neurol. 493:596–606. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Oxaliplatin-induced neurotoxicity: acute hyperexcitability and chronic neuropathy. Muscle Nerve 29:387–392. , , , , and .
- 2006. Contribution of TRPM8 channels to cold transduction in primary sensory neurons and peripheral nerve terminals. J. Neurosci. 26:12512–12525. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Identification of a cold receptor reveals a general role for TRP channels in thermosensation. Nature 416:52–58. , , and .
- 2002. A TRP channel that senses cold stimuli and menthol. Cell 108:705–715. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998a . Oxaliplatin: a review of preclinical and clinical studies. Ann. Oncol. 9:1053–1071. , , , and .
- 1998b . Oxaliplatin: mechanism of action and antineoplastic activity. Semin. Oncol. 25:4–12. , , , and .
- 2002. A cold- and menthol-activated current in rat dorsal root ganglion neurones: properties and role in cold transduction. J. Physiol. 545:595–614. , , and .
- 2008. Neuronal TRP channels: thermometers, pathfinders and life-savers. Trends Neurosci. 31:287–295. , , and .
- 2003. CTCAE v3.0: development of a comprehensive grading system for the adverse effects of cancer treatment. Semin. Radiat. Oncol. 13:176–181. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Primary afferents with TRPM8 and TRPA1 profiles target distinct subpopulations of rat superficial dorsal horn neurones. Br. J. Pharmacol. 157:371–380. , , and .