Verbal and facial-emotional Stroop tasks reveal specific attentional interferences in sad mood
Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 74–83, January 2012
How to Cite
Isaac, L., Vrijsen, J. N., Eling, P., van Oostrom, I., Speckens, A. and Becker, E. S. (2012), Verbal and facial-emotional Stroop tasks reveal specific attentional interferences in sad mood. Brain and Behavior, 2: 74–83. doi: 10.1002/brb3.38
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2012
- Received: 1 August 2011 Accepted: 24 December 2011
- 2001. Bad is stronger than good. Rev. Gen. Psychol. 5:323–370. , , , and .
- 1987. Differentiating anxiety from depression: a test of the cognitive content-specificity hypothesis. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 96:179–183. , , , , and .
- 1985. Enige ervaringen met de Beck Depression Inventory (BDI). Some experiences with the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI). Gedrag Tijdschrift voor Psychologie 13:13–24. , , , and .
- 1981. Mood and memory. Am. Psychol. 36:129–148.
- 1999. Affective norms for English words (ANEW): stimuli, instruction manual and affective ratings. Technical report C-1, The Center for Research in Psychophysiology, University of Florida , Gainesville , FL . , and .
- 1997. Attentional biases for emotional faces. Cogn. Emot. 11:25–42. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Attentional bias for emotional faces in generalised anxiety disorder. Br. J. Clin. Psychol. 38:267–278. , , , , and .
- 1995. Induction of depressed and elated mood by music influences the perception of facial emotional expressions in healthy subjects. J. Affect. Disord. 33:215–226. , , and .
- 1997. Relationship between perception of facial emotions and anxiety in clinical depression: does anxiety-related perception predict persistence of depression? J. Affect. Disord. 43:213–223. , , and .
- 2001. Handbook of affect and social cognition . Erlbaum, Mahwah , NJ . , and .
- 2007. The influence of sad mood on cognition. Emotion 7:802–811. , , and .
- 1989. Symptoms of interpersonal sensitivity in depression. Compr. Psychiatry 30:357–368. , , , and .
- 1994. Differences in the affective processing of words and pictures. Cogn. Emot. 8:1–20. , and .
- 2001. Neuroimaging and neuropathological studies of depression: implications for the cognitive-emotional features of mood disorders. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 11:240–249.
- 2011 . How mood challenges emotional memory formation: an fMRI investigation. Neuroimage 56:1783–1790. , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. In search of the emotional self: an fMRI study using positive and negative emotional words. Am. J. Psychiatry 160:1938–1945. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Stroop interference following mood induction: emotionality, mood congruence, concern relevance, and persistence. Cognit. Ther. Res. 24:491–503. , , and .
- 2010. Cognition and depression: current status and future directions. Annu. Rev. Clin. Psychol. 27:285–312. , and .
- 1984. Construct accessibility and depression: an examination of cognitive and affective factors. J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 47:427–439. , and
- 2004. Attentional biases for negative interpersonal stimuli in clinical depression. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 113:121–135. , , , and .
- 1991. Depression and the “emotional” Stroop effect. Pers. Individ. Dif. 12:481–485. , and .
- 2007. Selective attention to emotional faces following recovery from depression. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 116:80–85. , and .
- 1984. Changing views of attention and automaticity. Pp. 29–61 in R. ParasuramanandR. Davies, eds. Varieties of attention . Academic Press, New York . , and
- 2006. Components of attentional bias to threat in high trait anxiety: facilitated engagement, impaired disengagement, and attentional avoidance. Behav. Res. Ther. 44:1757–1771. , , , , and .
- 2010. Mood-congruent attention and memory bias in dysphoria: exploring the coherence among information-processing biases. Behav. Res. Ther. 48:219–225. , , , and .
- 2005. Face emotion perception and executive functioning deficits in depression. J. Clin. Exp. Neuropsychol. 27:320–333. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Presentation and validation of the Radboud Faces database. Cogn. Emot. 24:1377–1388. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Emotional information processing in mood disorders: a review of behavioral and neuroimaging findings. Curr. Opin. Psychiatry 19:34–39.
- 2004. Depression biases the recognition of emotionally neutral faces. Psychiatry Res. 128: 123–133. , , , , and .
- 2006. Attentional biases for angry faces in unipolar depression. Psychol. Med. 37:393–402. , , , and .
- 2005. Cognitive Processing of Emotional Information in Depression, Panic, and Somatoform Disorder. Journal of Abnormal Psychology , 114(1):50–61. , and .
- 2000. Cognitive vulnerability for depression: deployment of attention as a function of history of depression and current mood state. Cognit. Ther. Res. 24:427–444. , , and .
- 1986. Attentional bias in emotional disorders. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 95:15–20. , , and .
- 1998. Comorbidity of anxiety and unipolar mood disorders. Annual Review of Psychology , 49:377–412. , , and .
- 2008. Neural basis of the emotional Stroop interference effect in major depression. Psychol. Med. 38:247–256. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Selective orienting of attention to masked threat faces in social anxiety. Behav. Res. Ther. 40:1403–1414. , and .
- 2005. Attentional bias in generalized anxiety disorder versus depressive disorder. Cognit. Ther. Res. 29:29–45. , and .
- 1993. Subliminal processing of emotional information in anxiety and depression. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 102:304–311. , , , and .
- 2007. Anxiety and orienting of gaze to angry and fearful faces. Biol. Psychol. 76:163–169. , , and .
- 2000. Emotional state and the detection of change in facial expression of emotion. Eur. J. Soc. Psychol. 30:211–222. , , , and .
- 1996. Affectiviteit en zelfbeoordeling van depressie en angst [Affectivity and self-report of depression and anxiety]. Tijdschrift voor Psychiatrie (Dutch Journal of Psychiatry) 38:240–250. , , and .
- 1999. Attentional Biases and Vulnerability to Depression. The Spanish Journal of Psychology , 2(1):11–19. , , , and .
- 2007. Positive affect increases the breadth of attentional selection. Proc. Natl. Acad Sci USA 104:383–388. , , and .
- 1997. A cognitive-behavioral model of anxiety in social phobia. Behav. Res. Ther. 35:741–756. , and .
- 2010. Mood effects on emotion recognition. Motiv. Emot. 34:288–292. , and .
- 2011. How mood states affect information processing during facial emotion recognition: an eye tracking study. Swiss J. Psychol. 70:223–231. , , , , and .
- 1935. Studies of interference in serial verbal reactions. J. Exp. Psychol. 18:643–662.
- 1980. Handleiding bij de Zelf-Beoordelings-Vragenlijst (ZBV). Een Nederlandstalige bewerking van de Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI-DY) [Manual of the Self-Assessment Questionnaire (SAQ). A Dutch revision of the Spielberger State–Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI-DY)]. Swets & Zeitlinger. Lisse , the Netherlands . , , and .
- 2001. Attentional biases for angry faces: relationships to trait anger and anxiety. Cogn. Emot. 15:279–297. , , , and .
- 1996. Relative effectiveness and validity of mood induction procedures. A meta-analysis. Eur. J. Soc. Psychol. 26:557–580. , , , and .
- 1996. The emotional Stroop task and psychopathology. Psychol. Bull. 120:3–24. , , and .
- 1997. Cognitive psychology and emotional disorders . 2nd ed. Wiley, Chchester . , , , and .