Supported in part by the Intramural Research Program of the NIH, National Institute on Aging and by Research and Development Contract N01-AG-3-2124.
Longitudinal brain activity changes in asymptomatic Alzheimer disease
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 221–230, May 2012
How to Cite
Codispoti, K.-E. T., Beason-Held, L. L., Kraut, M. A., O’Brien, R. J., Rudow, G., Pletnikova, O., Crain, B., Troncoso, J. C. and Resnick, S. M. (2012), Longitudinal brain activity changes in asymptomatic Alzheimer disease. Brain and Behavior, 2: 221–230. doi: 10.1002/brb3.47
Brain and Behavior 2012; 2(3): 221–230
- Issue published online: 15 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2012
- Received: 17 October 2011; Revised: 30 January 2012; Accepted: 9 February 2012
- 1993. Immunocytochemical distribution of peptidergic and cholinergic fibers in the human amygdala: their depletion in Alzheimer's disease and morphologic alteration in non-demented elderly with numerous senile plaques. Brain Res. 625:125–138. , , and .
- 2009. Where is the semantic system? A critical review and meta-analysis of 120 functional neuroimaging studies. Cereb. Cortex 19:2767–2796. , , , and .
- 1993. Brain blood flow in the dementias: SPECT with histopathologic correlation. Radiology 186:361–365. , , , , and .
- 1991. Neuropathological stageing of Alzheimer-related changes. Acta. Neuropathol. 82:239–259. , and .
- 2002. Cerebral perfusion SPET correlated with Braak pathological stage in Alzheimer's disease. Brain 125:1772–1781. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Unrest at rest: default activity and spontaneous network correlations. Neuroimage 37:1091–1096; discussion 1097–9. , and .
- 1988. Clinico-pathologic studies in dementia: nondemented subjects with pathologically confirmed Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 38:1682–1687. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Age-related changes in brain activity across the adult lifespan. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 18:227–241. , , , , and .
- 2009b. Genomic expression of synaptic genes distinguishes asymptomatic AD subjects from those with MCI and AD Neuroscience Meeting Planner 325.22/F4:Online. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Neuronal hypertrophy in asymptomatic Alzheimer disease. J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 67:578–589. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009a. The Nun study: clinically silent AD, neuronal hypertrophy, and linguistic skills in early life. Neurology 73:665–673. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. SPECT perfusion imaging in the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: a clinical-pathologic study. Neurology 56:950–956. , , , , , , , and .
- 1992. Association of atrophy of the medial temporal lobe with reduced blood flow in the posterior parietotemporal cortex in patients with a clinical and pathological diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry 55:190–194. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Accurate prediction of histologically confirmed Alzheimer's disease and the differential diagnosis of dementia: the use of NINCDS-ADRDA and DSM-III-R criteria, SPECT, X-ray CT, and APO E4 medial temporal lobe dementias. The Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Aging. Int. Psychogeriatr. 9:191–222; discussion 247–52. , , and .
- 1988. Clinical, pathological, and neurochemical changes in dementia: a subgroup with preserved mental status and numerous neocortical plaques. Ann. Neurol. 23:138–144. , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Age-specific incidence rates of Alzheimer's disease: the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. Neurology 54:2072–2077. , , , , and .
- 2003. Neuropathology of cognitively normal elderly. J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 62:1087–1095. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Functional deactivations: change with age and dementia of the Alzheimer type. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100:14504–14509. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Diagnosis and management of dementia with Lewy bodies: third report of the DLB Consortium. Neurology 65:1863–1872. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Conjoint activity of anterior insular and anterior cingulate cortex: awareness and response. Brain Struct. Funct. 214:535–549. , and .
- 1991. The Consortium to Establish a Registry for Alzheimer's Disease (CERAD). Part II. Standardization of the neuropathologic assessment of Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 41:479–486. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1993. Making the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease. A primer for practicing pathologists. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 117:132–144. , , and .
- 1996. Amyloid load and neural elements in Alzheimer's disease and nondemented individuals with high amyloid plaque density. Exp. Neurol. 142:89–102. , , , and .
- 2005. Brain glucose metabolism in the early and specific diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease. FDG-PET studies in MCI and AD. Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging 32:486–510.
- 2004. Mild cognitive impairment as a diagnostic entity. J. Intern. Med. 256:183–194.
- 1999. Tangles and plaques in nondemented aging and “preclinical” Alzheimer's disease. Ann. Neurol. 45:358–368. , and .
- 2000. One-year age changes in MRI brain volumes in older adults. Cereb. Cortex. 10:464–472. , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Resistance to Alzheimer's pathology is associated with nuclear hypertrophy in neurons. Neurobiol. Aging 28:1484–1492. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. “Preclinical” AD revisited: neuropathology of cognitively normal older adults. Neurology 55:370–376. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Common blood flow changes across visual tasks: II. Decreases in cerebral cortex. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 9:648–663. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Cognitive reserve. Neuropsychologia 47:2015–2028.
- 1968. Observations on the brains of non-demented old people. J. Neurol. Sci. 7:331–356. , , and .
- 1996. Neuropathology in controls and demented subjects from the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. Neurobiol. Aging 17:365–371. , , , and .
- 1986. A comparative study of modified Bielschowsky, Bodian and thioflavin S stains on Alzheimer's neurofibrillary tangles. Neuropathol. Appl. Neurobiol. 12:3–9. , and .