Neural bases of gaze and emotion processing in children with autism spectrum disorders
Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2011
©2011 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 1–11, September 2011
How to Cite
Davies, M. S., Dapretto, M., Sigman, M., Sepeta, L. and Bookheimer, S. Y. (2011), Neural bases of gaze and emotion processing in children with autism spectrum disorders. Brain and Behavior, 1: 1–11. doi: 10.1002/brb3.6
- Issue online: 29 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2011
- Received: 13 April 2011; Revised: 15 April 2011; Accepted: 20 April 2011.
- 2003. Effects of gaze on amygdala sensitivity to anger and fear faces. Science 300:1536. , , , , and .
- 2004. Inhibition and the right inferior frontal cortex. Trend Cogn. Sci. 8:170–177. , , and .
- 2009. Positive and negative gaze perception in autism spectrum conditions. Soc. Neurosci. 4:153–164. , , and .
- 1992. Unfamiliar face recognition in relatively able autistic children. J. Psychol. Psychtry. 33:843–859. , and .
- 2004. Gaze aversion and the primacy of emotional dysfunction in autism. In: B. Gorayska and J. Mey, editors. Cognition and technology. Amsterdam : John Benjamins Publishing Company, p. 267–301. , , , and .
- 2002. Immature frontal lobe contributions to cognitive control in children: evidence from fMRI. Neuron. 30:301–311. , , , , and .
- 1998. Social cognition, joint attention, and communicative competence from 9 to 15 months of age. Monogr. Soc. Res. Child. Dev. 63:i-vi, 1–143. , , and .
- 1997. Infants with autism: An investigation of empathy, pretend play, joint attention, and imitation. Dev. Psychol. 33:781–789. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Automatic attention cueing through eye movement in 2-year-old children with autism. Child Dev. 74:1108–1122. , , and .
- 2001. Unusual brain growth patterns in early life in patients with autistic disorder: an MRI study. Neurology 57:245–254. , , , , , , , , , and , et al.
- 2005. Gaze fixation and the neural circuitry of face processing in autism. Nat. Neurosci. 8:519–526. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Understanding emotions in others: mirror neuron dysfunction in children with autism spectrum disorders. Nat. Neurosci. 9:28–30. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Children with autism fail to orient to naturally occurring social stimuli. J. Aut. Dev. Disord. 28:479–485. , , , , and .
- 2004. Gaze following in newborns. Infancy 5:39–60. , , , and .
- 1998. The eyes have it! Reflexive orienting is triggered by nonpredictive gaze. Psychonom. Bull. Rev. 5:490–495. , and .
- 2001. Seen gaze-direction modulates fusiform activity and its coupling with other brain areas during face processing. Neuroimage 13:1102–1112. , , and .
- 2011. Atypical Neural Networks for Social Orienting in Autism Spectrum Disorders. NeuroImage 56:354–362. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Social interest and the development of cortical face specialization: What autism teaches us about face processing. Dev. Psychobiol. 40:213–225. , , and .
- 1996. Infant sensitivity to adult eye direction. Child Dev. 67:1940–1951. , and .
- 2000. Modulating emotional responses: effects of a neocortical network on the limbic system. Neuroreport 11:43–48. , , and .
- 2004. Localization of white matter volume increase in autism and developmental language disorder. Ann. Neurol. 55:530–540. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Distinct neural respresentations of eye gaze and identity in the distributed human neural system for face perception. Nat. Neurosci. 3:80–84. , and .
- 1991. Newborns’ preferential tracking of face-like stimuli and its subsequent decline. Cognition 40:1–19. , , , and .
- 2004. Cortical activation and synchronization during sentence comprehension in high-functioning autism: evidence of underconnectivity. Brain 127:1811–1821. , , , and .
- 2007. Functional and anatomical cortical underconnectivity, in autism: Evidence from an fMRI study of an executive function task and corpus callosum morphometry. Cereb. Cortex. 17:951–961. , , , , and .
- 2001. Reward value of attractiveness and gaze. Nature 413:589. , , , and .
- 1999. The human amygdala plays an important role in gaze monitoring: a PET study. Brain 122:779–783. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Contextual modulation of amygdala responsivity to surprised faces. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 16:1730–1745. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Visual fixation patterns during viewing of naturalistic social situations as predictors of social competence in individuals with autism. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry. 59:809–816. , , , , and .
- 2003. The enactive mind—from actions to cognition: lessons from autism. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 358:345–350. , , , and .
- 1994. Autism diagnostic interview revised: a revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. J. Autism. Dev. Disord. 24:659–685. , , and .
- 2000. The autism diagnostic observation schedule-generic: a standard measure of social and communication deficits associated with the spectrum of autism. J. Autism. Dev. Disord. 30:205–223. , , , ., , , , and .
- 1999. Face perception during early infancy. Psychol. Sci. 10:419–422. Direct Link:, , , , , , and .
- 2005. Taking an “intentional stance” on eye-gaze shifts: a functional neuroimaging study of social perception in children. Neuroimage 27:247–252. , , , and .
- 1987. Nonverbal communication and play correlates of language development in autistic children. J. Aut. Dev. Disord. 17:349–364. , , , and .
- 2002. Early recognition of 1-year-old infants with autism spectrum disorder versus mental retardation. Dev. Psychopath. 14:239–251. , , and .
- 2002. Visual scanning of faces in autism. J. Aut. Dev. Disord. 32:249–261. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Perception of dynamic changes in facial affect and identity in autism. Soc. Cogn. Affect Neurosci. 2:140–149. , , , and .
- 2003. Brain activation evoked by perception of gaze shifts: the influence of context. Neuropsychologia 41:156–170. , , , and .
- 2004. When strangers pass: processing of mutual and averted social gaze in the superior temporal sulcus. Pscyh. Sci. 15:598–603. Direct Link:, , and .
- 2005. Neural basis of eye gaze processing deficits in autism. Brain 128:1038–1048. , , and .
- 2001. The brain response to personally familiar faces in autism: findings of fusiform activity and beyond. Brain 127:2703–2716. , , , and .
- 1998. Temporal cortex activation in humans viewing eye and mouth movements. J. Neurosci. 18:2188–2199. , , , , and .
- 2004. Understanding orbitofrontal contributions of theory-of-mind reasoning: Implications for autism. Brain Cogn. 55:209–219.
- 2000. Neurofunctional models of autistic disorder and asperger syndrome. In: A. Klin, F. R. Volkmar, S. S. Sparrow, editors. Asperger syndrome, New York : The Guilford Press, p. 172–209. , , and .
- 2010. Reward processing in autism. Autism Research 3:53–67. , , , , and .
- 1986. Social interactions of autistic, mentally retarded, and normal children and their caregivers. J. Child Psychol. Psychtry. 27:647–655. , , , and .
- 2009. The nimstim set of facial expressions: judgments from untrained research participants. Psychiatry Res. 168:242–249. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Optimization of experimental design in fMRI: a general framework using a genetic algorithm. Neuroimage 18:293–309. , and .
- 2004. Neural correlates of facial affect processing in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry 43:481–490. , , , , and .
- 2007. Reading communicative intent in the face and voice: an fMRI study in children with autism spectrum disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:698–708. , , , and .
- 1998. Brain regions involved in the perception of gaze: a PET study. NeuroImage 8:221–227. , , , and .
- 2003. Characterizing volume and surface deformations in an atlas framework: theory, applications, and implementation. Neuroimage 18:769–788.
- 1998. Automated image registration: 1. General methods and intrasubject, intramodality validation. J. Comput. Assist. Tomogr. 22:139–152. , , , , and .
- 1999. Creation and use of a Talairach-compatible atlas for accurate, automated, nonlinear intersubject registration, and analysis of functional imaging data. Hum. Brain Mapp. 8:73–79. , , , , and .